Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Tried the New Version of ZAF the Free Basic Firewall?

garywa Guest

Default Anyone Tried the New Version of ZAF the Free Basic Firewall?

Has anyone installed the ZAF (free firewall) version and then reinstalled the MS updates and tested?
    Some users on another forum are saying (I think incorrectly) that the patched release no longer has the High Setting for the Internet Zone, and only runs at Medium.
    I think that is bad info, but I'm
    looking for a ZAF user who can verify it.
    Thanks for any help!
    (I have ZASS installed so I can't check)

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

queencrab Guest

Default Re: Anyone Tried the New Version of ZAF the Free Basic Firewall?

Yes, that is exactly what happens. It states that HIGH is only available with ZoneAlarm Pro.

chicknew Guest

>>Some users on another forum are saying...that the patched release no longer has the High Setting for the Internet Zone, and only runs at Medium.

Then what's the point of upgrading? I can already set my current version to medium. What kind of "fix" is that?

Chick

smeghead Guest

The new ZA free version ....DOES..... allow High internet settings :8}

But It only allows Medium
    ...PROGRAM ... settings

So no change ....I think !

garywa Guest

Thanks - that makes sense.
    As I said in my original question, I think there is a lot of mis-information floating around some forums regarding these upgrade versions.
    I believe they are all working just fine and still have the ability to select an Internet Zone Security level of High.
    Some users may be experiencing individual problems on their particular PC, but those are isolated cases and unique to their PC or hardware/software configuration.

chicknew Guest

<blockquote><hr>garywa wrote:
    I believe they are all working just fine and still have the ability to select an Internet Zone Security level of High.Some users may be experiencing individual problems on their particular PC, but those are isolated cases and unique to their PC or hardware/software configuration.
    <hr></blockquote>

Well, there have been a few of us who have had our computer's operating system severely compromised...some, like myself, suffered because the operating system became non-functional, and access to applications like system restore wouldn't work, either (I had to start all over). The difference in my case was that I had a second computer with which to post my experience on this forum. I would be surprised if there are not other users whose computers have been rendered inoperable, like mine, but who weren't able to post their experiece(s) because they didn't have a computer to access this forum! Also, there are thousands of ZA users who don't use this forum; many of them may, likewise, have had disastrous results but just have not made the rest of us aware through this forum.

Chick

hammernu Guest

A word of warning: I constantly take System Restore checkpoints before and after installing anything. When I lost Internet connectivity with KB951748 from the Microsoft Update, not knowing which update caused the problem, I immediately did a system restore to my &quot;pre Win upd&quot; checkpoint and all was well. I then started installing the patches one by one until I hit on the right one. The moral of this story: do System Restore checkpoints. They will always (maybe!) allow you to back out of a serious problem.

garywa Guest

Good advice!
    The other step I take is not to enable Automatic Windows Update (sorry Microsoft).
    I let the little yellow shield show up in the System Tray and then I go read about the updates before downloading and installing them, one PC at a time,
    in a controlled manner.
    This week, when I found that I didn't have internet access after updating my laptop, I stopped and still had a working desktop system.
    I uninstalled the 2 MS updates and regained internet access, so I immediately knew it was something to do with the update and not my ISP or router.
    When the problem hit this week, I read on another forum about a user who woke up that morning to 5 networked PCs at home that didn't have internet access.
    He wasted hours troubleshooting a non-existant problem with his ISP/router/cable modem.
    I've never trusted Microsoft enough to give them carte-blanche access to my PCs.
    When IE7 was released it broke a part of my HP photo software called HP Director.
    It was days or weeks before HP released a patch.

chicknew Guest

I followed that advice, but after installing the update which made my computer non-functional, access to system restore (or any of the other services in control panel) was destroyed.

hammernu Guest

You can always access System Restore in a Safe Mode boot. In fact, on the boot screen where you select Normal Boot, Safe Mode, etc., there's an option to restore to Last Known Good (or something similar) which does a System Restore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information