Thread: Should we be scared?

za_avastfan Guest

Default Should we be scared?

Dear Zonealarm Forum Users and Moderators,

Should we be scared that the latest ZA Pro version 7.0.483.000 will wipe our computers?

Are there any other fatal or damaging effects of the new ZA version? Or of the latest Windows update itself?

- I lost internet connectivity having applied the latest Windows updated yesterday
    - I installed the latest ZA (7.0.483.000) directly over the old version (7.0.473.000)
    - I uninstalled neither the old ZA version nor the Windows update causing the problem
    - My computer booted fine and internet connectivity has now been restored
    - I did not notice any other problems with my computer apart from the loss of internet

Having read some of the posts on the ZA forum about PCs being wiped and other adverse effects - my question as above is should we be worried or aware of other potential problems specifically associated with this issue?

Thanks in advance, your commments, thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

ZA_avaastfan

My PC is running:
    - Micro$oft Window$ XP Pro
    - ZA Pro 7.0.483.000
    - Avaast Pro 4.8.1201
    - No other special software

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

Default Re: Should we be scared?

SCARED??? LOLOLOLOL
    You haven't been fouled up (closest thing to the fword) by MS update before?
    Welcome to the lovely world of ms updates!
    uhmm "wiped"?
    If the user wiped the harddrives clean, then the user wiped the computer, not MS or ZA.
    Perhaps you mean a "loss of connection" instead of "wiped"?

I hate to say this but.... I never automatically download or download/install windows updates. Instead I manually install a week or so after MS Tuseday.
    So I was never affected.
    But I was initially confused by the sudden flood of posts on the forum, dealing with an update I had not even seen myself for a problem not quite understood yet by anyone.

Consider something Symantec/Norton with the Windows XP SP3 fiasco.
    I understand some users did actually wipe the harddrives to solve that screw up.
    Now that's "wiped"!

You should always read what each MS update does and consists of before installing the update. It is good procedure - know what it is for and why and what it does.
    Then many would have seen something about "randomization of source ports for the dns connection" and probably could figure out it has some networking implications.

Many users lost the internet and should have tried this:[*]check the windows network configurations and packets sent/received in the task manager[*]watched the ZA alert with the blocked dns connection for an obvious clue, because it did give me an alert the dns was blocked! [*]checked the firewall logs in the Log Viewer and saw ti had blocked conection attempts to the dns server, because the blocked connections were logged![*]acted upon the ZA alerts or logs [*]reboot and check again

but still if missed the ZA firewall logs and alerts, did a fix of the ZA settings and this did not work, for the obvious reasons - it needed a radical database reset, maybe new expert rules and lowering of the internet security slider and of course the PATCH.. [*]check for a local area network connection[*]turn off the software firewall and any other networking filtering software[*]think it maybe the recent windows update just installed at fault as that was the last event before connection loss[*]reboot the modem and router and check the cables[*]call the ISP for help[*]call a friend for help[*]try a PC that had no update or was off at the time and then find it has internet[*]boot with a linux distro and get internet[*]try a system restore[*]get to the ZA forum ASAP and get HELP

Oldsod.

Message Edited by Oldsod on 07-12-2008 06:19 AM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

za_avastfan Guest

Hi Oldsod,

Wise words. I manually update as well but I concede that I neither waited for one week nor did I read what each update does.

This is because my knowledge of computers is unfortunately lacking in Windows. I'm an old DOS kid and gave up on trying to understand Window$ in detail after Window$ 3.1 :-)

Would advise all others to take heed of Oldsod's good oil in the previous post. Some really good and practical tips and advice there.

When I lost internet connectivity, I tried the following:
    - Tried Opera, previous Firefox 2.0.0.14 and as a last resort Shiiternet Explorer: conclusion not a browser fault
    - Tried my computer on another cable connection in the apartment: conclusion no problem with my usual connection
    - Tried another computer (without the patch installed) on the same cable connection: conclusion the ISP is running and the connection point is fine

Then I got lost as to what to do. I automatically thought the culprit was Micro$oft for two reasons:
    - It happened directly after I rebooted having installed the latest Micro$oft updates
    - Micro$oft Window$ would have to be one of the most unstable and poorly developed software packages available

Thank you for your advice in the previous post, I shall note them for further reference. Moreover I will most likely need them when the next f*/#ing Micro$oft issue arises >:[

As usual the ZA forum saved the day :-)

Best wishes,

ZA_Avastfan

Message Edited by ZA_Avastfan on 07-12-2008 03:40 AM

Message Edited by ZA_Avastfan on 07-12-2008 03:40 AM

I further compound the problem - two desktop proxy filters chained together and a special network driver for IP filtering. The network driver can crash and sometimes kills the 'net - not always but it has happened once before. Usually turning it off and on again will work, or else the reboot works too.

If the one inside proxy beats out (starts before) the other internet outgoing proxy, then this proxy can not get internet and the browser show nothing. I just turn both off and then re-start the internet proxy first and then the second proxy.

Hmm a few months ago I did a mistake - I could not figure out why the internet connections took so long all of a sudden - some sites just timed out and never finished. I traced the problem to the proxy filters and finally (after an hour or so!) checked their folders.... I had forgot to clean out their logs!
    The two logging files had something like 300 mb of files - they took so long into write the logs, by that time the connections either were delayed or were lost!
    Hmm took me a while, but I fixed it.
    One just never knows what goes wrong.
    Experience is a good teacher!

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

puteruser Guest

I still have a problem with getting a
    connection.
    Do you think I may have a problem like you described: two desktop proxy filters chained together and a special network driver for IP filtering. How do I turn off
    and on
    the network driver?

<blockquote><hr>puteruser wrote:
    I still have a problem with getting a
    connection.
    Do you think I may have a problem like you described: two desktop proxy filters chained together and a special network driver for IP filtering. How do I turn off
    and on
    the network driver?

<hr></blockquote>
    Doubt you have this problem with proxy servers on the desktop.
    You do not want to turn on and off your network driver -not needed in your situation.
    Besides youalready got help at http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...mp=true#M34562

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

grampsone Guest

ZA,
    I did the same corrective actions as you did.
    I installed the ZA update over the old and never touched the Windows update.
    I am running XP Home.
    All is well and normal on my system.
    I am not worried as any resulting problem would have cropped up by now.
    I think you are fine.
    Gramps

Thanks Gramps.
    Best regards.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information