Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I use ZA Update to Fix KB951748 if I already uninstalled it?

katieann Guest

Default Should I use ZA Update to Fix KB951748 if I already uninstalled it?

I'm not sure if I should click "Update Now" on the pop-up.
    I already uninstalled KB951748 and am not sure how this ZA update will then affect things.
    Or should I re-install MS patch, and then install ZA fix?

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

hammernu Guest

Default Re: Should I use ZA Update to Fix KB951748 if I already uninstalled it?

Download the updated ZoneAlarm Security Suite 7.0.483.0
    from here:
    http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...483_000_en.exe

Now do the following ( 1) refers to your currently installed version of ZASS):
    1) Uncheck Overview > Preferences > Load ZoneAlarm Security Suite at startup

2) Reboot

3) Install ZoneAlarm 7.0.483.0; when prompted, choose Clean Install

Now go to Windows Update and allow KB951748 to install and you'll be all set.

dbozman Guest

At the time of the original issue, I unistalled KB951748 to regain insterent access.
    After instaling the updated Zone Alarm I allowed MS Update to reinstall KB951748.
    When it did not required me to restart the computer I became curious and looked at the update list (via Add or Remove Programs) and KB951748
    does not show up in the list.
    Did the new ZA version really resolve the problem or just prevent KB951748 from installing?
    It would see the security issue KB951748
    is meant to resolve would still be explotable if that is the case.

hammernu Guest

KB951748
    should have required a reboot. Nevertheless, you can check to see if it's installed by going to Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs, checking "show updates", and finding it in the list.
    If ZA 7.0.483.0 allows Internet access, then KB951748 has installed correctly.

Message Edited by HammerNU on 07-12-2008 02:21 PM

katieann Guest

I did not see it in Add/Remove programs either.
    Instead I found it under C:\Windows\$NtUninstallKB951748$\spuninst\spuninst .exe.

After completing that
    I could reset my security to high again.
    But my question is, in light of everyone saying that it "wiped" their harddrives, since I don't have it installed now, do I really have to install the ZASS fix?
    Can't I just leave things the way they are?

hammernu Guest

You said in your third post in this thread that you did install the ZA fix (7.0.483.0). And, like you, I frequently check for MS updates in the same place you do and not in Add or Remove Programs. Anyway, if you can access the Internet with the Firewall Internet slider set to High, all is well.

katieann Guest

So, in other words, I don't have to do the ZA update or re-install BK951748?
    Does this leave me vulnerable in any way?

hammernu Guest

I think we're both misunderstanding each other. Yes, you should install ZA 7.0.483.0 and then install KB951748. Download ZA 7.0.483.0, in your currently installed version uncheck "Load ZoneAlarm Security Suite at startup", reboot, install the new ZA and choose "clean install" when prompted, run the AV/AS update from Anti-virus / Anti-spyware > Update Now, then install KB951748.

katieann Guest

Your instructions are very clear and I really want to do this but I'm concerned about my system crashing like everyone else has been experiencing.
    What were they don't wrong?
    I'm scared....

hammernu Guest

Sorry for the delay. I was scared too, really. Do a System Restore checkpoint (Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore, Create a Restore Point, Next, give it a name, Create) before you make any changes, that way you can always back out of a bad situation. Even if you couldn't do a full boot, you could hold down the F8 key during POST (startup) and select Last Good (something) or boot into Safe Mode and do a System Restore. I take a checkpoint both before and after I make a change.
    When I lost Internet connectivity due to the Microsoft patch, I did a System Restore and was back to normal, giving me a chance to sort things out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information