Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should I use ZA Update to Fix KB951748 if I already uninstalled it?

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: Should I use ZA Update to Fix KB951748 if I already uninstalled it?

Don't be scared off by 'some' users who have problems with this new version fix; on each and
    every version upgrade - there has been
    and will always be 'some' users who will have problems( sometimes it's the way they tried to upgrade/ other software conflict/ other software not being turned-off/ etc..) and then there are the 'better majority' of users who have succeed and 'why bother to post in ZA forum' (yes, a few do - good for you's). Ususally, forums are where they post the problems; not the successes.<hr>The MS update in question is actually an important security update &gt; click here
    &gt; http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../MS08-037.mspx
    .<hr>The advice HammerNU suggested is good. Here is some more advice here &gt; click here &gt; http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...d=34491#M34491
    = this is more complex, but do-able and will 'increase' your chances of success/ less complications.<hr>In my personal case - I never installed ms update - I have 'notify of update, but don't install'
    and I learned of the problem before I would have ms updated. I have 7.0.462 and will probably install the new 7.0.483 cause I know the MS update is a serious security concern.<hr>You still have some time to look thru the boards and make your decision. Remember, you are 'seeing only the complaint side'; not the 'real' whole picture of this new version.<hr>NaiveMelody NYC 7-12-08 -
    Sooner Or Later - The Grass Roots

katieann Guest

The advice worked great!
    But two things concern me.
    Upon the clean install it said I had viruses in quarantine.
    Did I want to delete them?
    I said no so I could look and see what they were but it was empty.
    I was pretty sure it was.
    That was weird.
    My second thing is, after the clean install and AS/AV update, I went to MS to reinstall KB951748 but it said I already had a successful download.
    Before I uninstalled it earlier today, I made a copy and put it in another directory.
    When I couldn't download it again, I just moved back into the Windows file.
    That should be okay, right?
    One more thing, just kind of off the track:
    When I was trying to download the MS fix, I saw Service Pack 3 for download.
    Does anyone know if I have to uninstall SP2 or some other crazy thing in order to maintain the status quo?
    Thanks for all your help!

hammernu Guest

You do not have to uninstall SP2, SP3 goes on over it (actually replaces SP1/SP2). I recommend you (first do a System Restore checkpoint, then) install it. Be aware that it takes a while to install (15 - 30 minutes maybe) and don't get scared if nothing seems to happen at times. There's one point, I think a download during the SP3 install, where the progress bar never fills in or moves. Poor design. The final reboot takes awhile as it finishes the install.

naivemelody Guest

Default katieann , xpsp3

Click here for more info of xp sp3 install &gt; http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...ssage.id=18539
    = this is their 'recommendation' and I would have to agree. You can easily &quot;temporarily shut-down ZA&quot; - right click ZA tray icon.<hr>katieann, I would suggest off -hand, that you post in a 'linear' always scrolling down one reply to the next/ in real-time &gt; instead of popping up any new developments anywhere you please - it's kind of hard to 'find' the next / new reply post.<hr>Important issue for xp sp3 - if you have a HP/ Compaq desktop pc with any AMD memory processor - please - DO NOT INSTALL XP SP3 - please post back immediately.<hr>:0NaiveMelody NYC 7-13-08 - Jeopardy - Greg Kihn Band

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information