I did not intall the problematic Microsoft Hot fix.
To avoid any issues I did a clean uninstall of my previous ZISS and then reinstalled the 483 version. Everything went well except that I could not connect to the internet! I had not evend ownloaded the Microsoft update that caused the problem
I then disabled the ZISS completely and still could not connect, so I knew it was not the firewall per se.
Then I pressed troubleshoot internet connection when it came up on IE7, and it said that there was a problem with CA safe SSl layer. It asked if I wanted to disable it. I have no idea what this represented, but I said yes, and it "repaired the connection". When I rebooted, I had restored internet access and the new verson ZISS 483 with the microsoft update is working fine.I restored my previous settings as well with no difficulty.
It is so frustrating to the average computer user that he has to deal with issues that he has no idea of to try to fix things. Why should upgrading always be a terrorizing experience?
For all I knew disabling that layer could have made matters worse, and I would not have had a clue as to what to do next.
Parenthetically I DID UNCHECK DISABLE ZONE ALARM at start up and rebooted before uninstalling.This seems to be key towards the uninstall but if so, why does ZA not officially tell us that in their install instructions??
In any event why would uninstalling Zone Alarm damage my internet connection?
What if this happens with the next update?
Other manufacturers seem to make updating their security software much easier and painless.
Greg

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
Software Version:7.0
Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite