Thread: Any proactive suggestions for potential problems with ZA/KB951748 fix?

athamilton Guest

Default Any proactive suggestions for potential problems with ZA/KB951748 fix?

I had the "no access" problem and removed the KB951748 update as suggested.
    And then today I downloaded the ZA fix.
    But after reading some of the messages on this forum, I wonder if I made a mistake.
    I'm not having any problems yet -- most people are saying their problems started about a day later -- so I'm worried about what might happen tomorrow or the next day.
    I have not yet reinstalled the KB951748 update.
    Is there anything I can do right now to guard against a potential problem?
    Should I try to
    remove the ZA fix?
    Should I shut down ZA entirely while I still can?
    Since I've already downloaded the ZA fix, will a "system snapshot" do any good at this point if a system restore is necessary?
    Under normal circumstances, I would just
    leave well enough alone.
    But since many users are experiencing a delay between downloading the ZA fix and developing new problems, I'm a bit nervous about how my computer will behave tomorrow.....

Thanks!Allison

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

oldwizard Guest

Default Re: Any proactive suggestions for potential problems with ZA/KB951748 fix?

The problem came back today and I'm wondering if it was because the email directed download
    missed important directions like turning off the load on start-up and reboot before downloading the fix?

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: Any proactive suggestions for potential problems with ZA/KB951748 fix?

One thing you can do, see if your pc recognizes if Security update for Windows (KB951748) is properly un-installed.<hr>http://forums.zonelabs.com/zonelabs/...ssage.id=78992

Option 2: Uninstall the hotfix
    1. Click the &quot;Start Menu&quot;
    2. Click &quot;Control Panel&quot;, or click &quot;Settings&quot; then &quot;Control Panel&quot;
    3. Click on &quot;Add or Remove Programs&quot;
    4. On the top of the add/remove programs dialog box, you should see a checkbox that says &quot;show updates&quot;. Select this checkbox
    5. Scroll down until you see &quot;Security update for Windows (

Option 2: Uninstall the hotfix
      1. Click the &quot;Start Menu&quot;
      2. Click &quot;Control Panel&quot;, or click &quot;Settings&quot; then &quot;Control Panel&quot;
      3. Click on &quot;Add or Remove Programs&quot;
      4. On the top of the add/remove programs dialog box, you should see a checkbox that says &quot;show updates&quot;. Select this checkbox
      5. Scroll down until you see &quot;Security update for Windows (KB951748)&quot;
      6. Click &quot;Remove&quot; to uninstall the hotfix)&quot;<hr>
      7. if you have CCleaner or other types - clean up old temp files, empty recycle bins, etc.

<hr>After you've done this - run your MS update page &gt; see your &quot;history&quot; to see if un-installed. Either way, run a 'custom' check for MS update to see if you get (KB951748) ready again. &lt; Whatever the answer (post back your findings) it may still not be a 'major problem' that can't be remedied.<hr>As to answer to your major concern &gt; I would suggest you keep 7.0.483 - if running well. The MS update in question is actually an important security issue - so says Microsoft &gt; click here &gt; http://forums.zonelabs.com/zonelabs/...d=34579#M34579<hr>NaiveMelody NYC 7-13-08 - Let It Be - The Beatles

Message Edited by NaiveMelody on 07-14-2008 01:40 AM

protectionon Guest

Since there was no way they had enough time to run all their regression testing, it's possible there are side effects in some cases that are as yet undocumented.
    For my part, it's now a full 4 days later, and all dozen or so systems I did the fixes on are running fine. No problems at all.
    In my case, all the systems have no common hardware / motherboard- but all are Windows XP Pro.

Thread Information