Thread: New version doesn't solve the problem

ltd Guest

Default New version doesn't solve the problem

Hi,

I have installed the new Zonealarm version (Freeware) after installing the Microsoft patch (KB951748) but still have no access to the internet using the "Stealth-mode".
    If I decrease the security level for the internet to "Medium" then it worked again, so it's the same workaround as for the old Zonealarm version; no improvement.
    Any ideas?

Thanks?
    LTD

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

sofasurfer Guest

Default No fix in localized-versions - Misleading Update info

Hi,

have you installed the english version? AFAIK only the englisch version (zlsSetup_70_483_000_en.exe) really fixes the issue.

I use the german version and although it notified me that there is an hilariously important update I need to install at all costs to fix the KB951748 issue, the version it automatically downloads is zlsSetup_70_462_000_de.exe which DOES NOT include the fix.

So for german users (and maybe others) the update message is plain wrong and misleading. Wasted an hour on this...

Regards
    SofaSurfer

Message Edited by SofaSurfer on 07-14-2008 04:13 AM

paulinej Guest

Default Re: No fix in localized-versions - Misleading Update info

hello....I also can't get the new version-the english one-to work, either installed over the previous version or as a clean install having removed zonealarm completely. I'm on now because I've lowered the security setting to medium-which I'm not happy about. paulinej

ltd Guest

Yes, I have used the German version but there seems to be a problem with the English version as well....

Regards,
    LTD

stephent Guest

Several of the posts re: how to complete a clean uninstall have recommended the use of CCleaner (find it at: http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/fil...scription.html), I haven't seen anyone mention Revo Uninstaller (find it at: http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/fil...scription.html).
    I used both and got a little more of the application each time, but still not all of it.
    I then went out to MS's own One Care live full system scanner (find it here: http://onecare.live.com/site/en-au/d....htm?mkt=en-au) and it still located a few pieces of ZA in the bowels of my system.
    Since then I also had to uninstall & reinstall SpywareDocter to get the full cpu functioning again, but it helped to get every last piece of the old ZA out.
    Hope these ideas help!

kiwipops Guest

Hi all,isn,t all this frustrating?...I tried to download supposed fix zapSetup_70_483_000_en,but gave up after the file size got close to 17mb(took ages on slowwwww dialup!)...is the file size that big?I have had to use system restore every time I go on the net,other issues are worrying me,I can't get my antivirus(not a zonealarm product) to scan,and the Microsoft MRT tool doesn't seem to have updated in a while,same with Windows Defender,also found a tracking file related to the latter.Are all your other security programs working OK?I have XP media centerSP2,zone alarm pro.Did uninstalling the supposed problem update from Microsoft helpTtask manager also found an unfamiliar exe running 'windows-kb890830-v2.0-delta'...anyone know what this is?Hope we can all sort this out soon,all the best

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>kiwipops wrote:
    Hi all,isn,t all this frustrating?...I tried to download supposed fix zapSetup_70_483_000_en,but gave up after the file size got close to 17mb(took ages on slowwwww dialup!)...is the file size that big?I<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Here is a Clue..all version of ZAFree for Win XP ever since the First ZAFree Ver. 7.0 contain the full Trial of ZA Security Suite.. 44.6Mb, nearly three times bigger than the original ZAFree Ver 6.0,this is a Marketing Ploy to offer FRee users a chance to try the 15 day trial of the Full Security Suite, even though durring the Install process you can Decline the Free Trial of the Security Suite, the fact that the ZA Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware install modules are included in the ZAFree Install package will Conflict with any other Anti-Virus or Anti-Spyware that you have pre-installed before installing ZAFree .2.) Please note that ZAFree does not always play nice with many security tools. For example, ad-aware, Ad-watch, AVG 8, spybotS&amp;D, Spyware Doctor, Spysweeper. For sure it cannot be installed if you have still another Antivirus software or Firewall (other than Windows Firewall) installed or active.

To troubleshoot ZAFree issues it is highly recommendedthat youremove all the above and install them back on (if you really need to) after your ZAFreeis installed and configured and runningas it should. If you have not installed any of the above ensure that NO left overs areon the system (they can conflict with the ZA install).
    You must go into ZA Overview/Preferences and UN-Check "Load ZoneAlarm Free on Startup"3. Reboot the Computer. 4. Install the new ZA update (clean or upgrade) and Accept the default Setting, Auto-Learn Mode and Choose Trusted Zone, not Internet Zone..

Please Post back with your Progress Report..

GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information