Thread: Connection Problem

gonzilla Guest

Default Connection Problem

I
    have just spent two hours on the phone with BT in India to deal with the loss of internet connection due to the Microsoft update problem.
    I have been trying for over 48 hours to find out what had gone wrong with my PC and did all the tests I could think of - and some more!
    If
    I had not contacted them on the phone I would never have found out why I did not have an internet connection.
    what can be done to inform Zone Alarm users of a problem when there is no internet conncection to tell them??

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

samlar Guest

Default Re: Connection Problem

Not much you can do when a person does not have internet service. When I ran into this problem the first day one of the first things I did was turn off zone alarm and it worked then. The problem is most would not think to do this. Your internet provider should have told you to turn off your firewall as one of the first steps to help you fix the problem. I just went and fixed five computers today that like others could not figure out why they had no internet. It like one told me today the first thing microsoft says on most problems is log on to the internet and check for the solution there, which you cannot do if your internet is down. It like the phone service being down how do you report it if your phone is not working.

My second step after turning of zone alarm and finding it was the problem was to go to this forum, which showed what the problem was.

Message Edited by samlar on 07-16-2008 12:39 AM

gonzilla Guest

What a good reply.
    I have learned something, which is always good.
    Having gone through the trouble I had I will certainly follow your advice.
    My problem is that I do not expect either Microsoft or, more especially, Zone Labs to create a problem.
    Blessed is he who expecteth nothing!Thankyou, again.

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>Gonzilla wrote:
    What a good reply. I have learned something, which is always good. Having gone through the trouble I had I will certainly follow your advice. My problem is that I do not expect either Microsoft or, more especially, Zone Labs to create a problem. Blessed is he who expecteth nothing!Thankyou, again.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> to the Zone Alarm User Forum..Thank you for your Feedback and understanding..I will post theDownload list for the English version, I do not know when the Fix will be translated into the other Laguages that ZA supports..http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=34074<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="90%" border=0><TBODY><TR><P style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 18px">Workaround to Sudden Loss of Internet Access Problem

</TR><TR>

Date Published : 8 July 2008

</TR><TR>

Date Last Revised : 14 July 2008

</TR><TR>

Overview : <OVERVIEW>Microsoft Update KB951748 is known to cause loss of internet access for ZoneAlarm users on Windows XP/2000. Windows Vista users are not affected.</OVERVIEW>

</TR><TR>

Impact : <IMPACT>Sudden loss of internet access </IMPACT>

</TR><TR>

Platforms Affected : <PLATFORMSAFFECTED>ZoneAlarm Free, ZoneAlarm Pro, ZoneAlarm AntiVirus, ZoneAlarm Anti-Spyware, and ZoneAlarm Security Suite</PLATFORMSAFFECTED>

</TR><TR>
    <P style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 14px">Recommended Actions -

Download and install the latest versions which solve the loss of internet access problem here (English only):

Once you have installed the new version of your product go to "start &gt; windows update" and re-install the Microsoft patch.<LI>ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite <LI>ZoneAlarm Pro <LI>ZoneAlarm Antivirus <LI>ZoneAlarm Anti-Spyware <LI>ZoneAlarm Basic Firewall

- or follow the directions below.<RECOMMENDEDACTIONS>

Option 1: Move Internet Zone slider to Medium
    1. <LI>Navigate to the "ZoneAlarm Firewall" panel <LI>Click on the "Firewall" tab <LI>Move the "Internet Zone" slider to medium </LI>

Option 2: Uninstall the hotfix
    1. <LI>Click the "Start Menu" <LI>Click "Control Panel", or click "Settings" then "Control Panel" <LI>Click on "Add or Remove Programs" <LI>On the top of the add/remove programs dialog box, you should see a checkbox that says "show updates". Select this checkbox <LI>Scroll down until you see "Security update for Windows (KB951748)" <LI>Click "Remove" to uninstall the hotfix </LI>
    </RECOMMENDEDACTIONS>

</LI></TR><TR>

Contact : <CONTACT>Check Point customers who are concerned about information contained in this advisory or have additional technical questions may reach our Technical Support team at: http://www.zonealarm.com/store/conte...rt/support.jsp. To report security issues with Check Point products contact security-alert@checkpoint.com.</CONTACT>

--------------------------------------------------------
    My XP SP3 :
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.483.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.483.000
    Driver version:7.0.483.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.85
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:955278856
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200807.4245
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903</TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    GeorgeV