Thread: OldSod's fix

duffyfs Guest

Default OldSod's fix

Still running ZAP 6.1.
    Applied Oldsods fix to reset it due to inability to access Windows Update. When I click on Windows Update icon> Custom> I'm offered 1 update (there was 4 before the reset). The one offered is the one that has caused all the problems. Does this effect ZAP 6.1, or is it safe to download? As I'm running XP SP3 what would be the upside to going to ZAP 7.

Default Re: OldSod's fix

The ZA 6.1 is okay with the MS updates.
    If there is an issue after installing the MS updates with the ZA 6.1, something to the effect the outgoing dns connection was blocked or there is no outgoing internet connections, then just do a database reset of the 6.1 and the following reboot into the normal mode will have the internet working again.

ZA database reset is done this way for the 6.1:[*]Boot your computer into the Safe Mode[*]Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder[*]Delete the backup.rdb, iamdb.rdb, *.ldb and the tvDebug files in the folder[*]Clean the Recycle Bin[*]Reboot into the normal mode[*]ZA will be just like new with no previous settings or data

Set the New network found (after the following reboot into the normal mode) as Trusted not Internet.
    Make sure your DNS and DHCP server IP's are in your Firewall's Trusted zone. Finding DNS and DCHP servers, etc

1. Go to Run and type in command and hit 'ok', and in the command then type in ipconfig /all then press the enter key. In the returned data list will be a line DNS and DHCP Servers with the IP address(s) listed out to the side. Make sure there is a space between the ipconfig and the /all, and the font is the same (no capitals).
    2. In ZA on your machine on the Firewall, open the Zones tab, click Add and then select IP Address. Make sure the Zone is set to Trusted. Add the DNS IP(s) .
    3. Click OK and Apply. Then do the same for the DHCP server.
    4. The localhost (127.0.0.1) must be listed as Trusted.
    5. The Generic Host Process (svchost.exe) as seen in the Zone Alarm's Program's list must have server rights for the Trusted Zone.
    Plus it must have both Trusted and Internet Access.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

duffyfs Guest

I did the reset as per instruction and added the server's IPs. Went to download the new Microsoft updates ( after the last reboot all 4 are there ) get a box saying all 4 updates weren't installed. Is there a way to eliminate ZAP as being the app causing the problem? Perhaps SAFE MODE with networking?

The ZA has nothing to do with the actual MS update installations or their installation status - this is strictly a windows issue and not a ZA issue.
    There is no way to eliminate the ZA from causing this problem as it was never the problem.

Check the windows directory and see if the MS updates are present.
    Check the windows Add and Remove Programs and see if the updates are listed.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

duffyfs Guest

I disabled ZAP from running at startup. Rebooted. Windows update launched in taskbar. Same result as before. Checked Windows directory the updates were there. Checked Add/Remove the updates were missing. As you stated, the problem's not with ZAP. I've got some work to do. Thanks for your help.

Make sure the "show updates" is enabled in the Add and Remove Programs.
    These maybe listed but hidden.

Go to windows update site and customize the updates selection - you may have to do a manual online update and then deselect the updates from the list and use do not show anymore option. Now they will not be selected and windows will stop attempting to download these already installed updates.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

duffyfs Guest

Yes, I had "show updates" checked. KB951748 also does not appear in the "show history" section on the Windows Update site. I've read through 110knowledge base posts in Windows Update support. I'll follow your advice about stopping it from nagging me. Thanks

duffyfs Guest

Solved. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144. Thanks again Oldsod for helping me eliminate ZAP from the equation.

Best regards, duffyfs.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information