Thread: ZA fails to update VPN adapter subnet

acn Guest

Default ZA fails to update VPN adapter subnet

Dear ZA,

Using the latest version of ZA (free ver.) in conjunction with OpenVPN (VPN client), I have noticed that the "adapter subnet" for for my "VPN" network adapter (virtual, created by OpenVPN) will not be updated correctly by ZA.

During the process of establishing a VPN tunnel, OpenVPN will use DHCP (and/or other methods) to assign the correct (localnet) IP to the adaptor (as indicated by the VPN server at the other end of the tunnel). When doing so, ZA seem to stay "locked" on whatever arbitrary IP the adaptor was assigned by DHCP before (or during) the VPN tunnel was connected. Thus, when the VPN tunnel is established, ZA will block everything as it doesn't "trust" the (correct) adapter subnet, forcing me to shutdown and restart ZA for things to start working properly (ie. to see the right adapter subnet in ZA's list of trusted subnets, and thus get traffic through the VPN tunnel).

I assume the problem is that ZA doesn't "realise" that the adaptor subnet is being changed during the VPN connection sequence (possibly due to some non-standard method being used), and hope you will look into this problem and possibly have it fixed in furture versions..?

Thanks a lot,

ACN.

P.S. FYI: According to the OpenVPN log/status it is using "IPAPI" to change the adapter IP/subnet, if that helps any?

Operating System:Windows 2000 Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

prof_fate Guest

Default Re: ZA fails to update VPN adapter subnet

Sorry, Only us Users here in this ZA User forum.. Customer Service and ZA Tech Support do not Read this forum..There are two Seperate Web-links for Paid Customers to Access those two Services..

Here is a Comment on VPN by the Forum Moderator..
    "We have been working with MS on this issue that was introduced with SP1.
    Something in SP1 has broken not just in our software but other security programs VPN connections not working.

We are waiting for MS to release an update to the OS to fix this issue."

---------------------------------------------------------
    My XP SP3 Configuration:
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.483.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.483.000
    Driver version:7.0.483.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.85
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:956501877
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200808.4315
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903