Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zonealarm (free firewall) Web-hang

mabbage Guest

Default Zonealarm (free firewall) Web-hang

When I have been browsing the internet whilst using the free version of the Zonealarm firewall, everything would be fine for a certain period of time, until pages would decide not to load. This has happened on both Firefox (3.0.1) and Internet Explorer 7. When the 'Web-hang' happens with firefox, it completely hangs the browser. I can use all the menu options and stuff, but no pages will load. When i come to close firefox, the process is still running within Task Manager, and even with trying to manually end the process, it didnt stop it. With IE7, i just have to exit out of whatever i am doing and reboot it. When Firefox stalls like this, I takes ages to shutdown the machine with that process still goin on (upwards of 5 mins)

I recently reformatted the laptop and loaded everything back on one by one to located the problem, which i now think lies with Zonealarm's free firewall (version 71_254_000). I have set the permissions correctly (setting all browsers to 'Allow'). Does anyone have any idea of whats going on?

Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version:7.1 (Vista)
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

Default Re: Zonealarm (free firewall) Web-hang

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>Mabbage wrote:
    When I have been browsing the internet whilst using the free version of the Zonealarm firewall, everything would be fine for a certain period of time, until pages would decide not to load. This has happened on both Firefox (3.0.1) and Internet Explorer 7. When the 'Web-hang' happens with firefox, it completely hangs the browser. I can use all the menu options and stuff, but no pages will load. When i come to close firefox, the process is still running within Task Manager, and even with trying to manually end the process, it didnt stop it. With IE7, i just have to exit out of whatever i am doing and reboot it. When Firefox stalls like this, I takes ages to shutdown the machine with that process still goin on (upwards of 5 mins)

I recently reformatted the laptop and loaded everything back on one by one to located the problem, which i now think lies with Zonealarm's free firewall (version 71_254_000). I have set the permissions correctly (setting all browsers to 'Allow'). Does anyone have any idea of whats going on?

Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version:7.1 (Vista)
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>try this..NOTE: Make sure all of the following Programs have Trusted and Internet access (2 Green Check Marks):a.) All Microsoft and Windows Programs have Green Check marks for Trusted and Internet Access..b.) Generic Host Process for win32 Services (svchost.exe) also allow Trusted Server Rights (no Internet Server Rights)c.) IE Crash Detectiond.) Internet Explorer or FireFoxe.) Malicious Software Removal Toolf.) True Vector Service (If it is listed)g.) Zone Alarm Clienth.) Zone Alarm Updating Clienti.) Your Email Client needs Trusted, Internet accessand Send Mail all need Green check Marks..

---------------------------------------
    My Vista Configuration:

----------------------------------------------------------------
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.010.000 32-bit (BETA)
    TrueVector version:8.0.010.000
    Driver version:8.0.010.000
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:956653710
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.202.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200808.4335
    AntiSpam version:5.0.61.9957
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Second Computer Vista Home Premium SP1 (32-Bit)
    ZoneAlarm Pro version:7.1.254.000

TrueVector version:7.1.254.000
    Driver version:7.1.254.000
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.189.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200808.4335 &lt;== New Update
    A Vast 4.8 Anti-Virus Home Edition
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

mabbage Guest

Tried everything above, but still getting the problem. The only difference is that Firefox doesn't slow the shutting down of my machine anymore.

I even tried allowing every program on the list, and it still happens. Any more ideas? Cheers so far George.

prestigious Guest

I hope someone can update this thread because I have the exact same problem. Its not only firefox that I can't end, its also many other ones such as limewire and uTorrent.

banditdad Guest

I also had the exact same problem.
    Frustrating.
    The only solution I found was to uninstall Zone Alarm completely.
    Too bad, I liked the program.

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>Banditdad wrote:
    I also had the exact same problem. Frustrating. The only solution I found was to uninstall Zone Alarm completely. Too bad, I liked the program.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Browsers and any other Program that Access the Internet are controled by ZA Program Control, and Program Tab Peogram list..1.) Under Program Control Main tab.. Program Control should be on Maximum , If you also have a SmartDefense Advisor Section (Usually on Paid versions of ZA) set this on Manual..2.) Program Control / Program Tab.. Follow these instructions..http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...message.id=1453.) one other feature is in Program Control / Program Section Hi-lite the Browser name and Right click on it, this will open a popup click on options, the will open another window.. add check marks to the top two option and click Apply, and ok..--------------------------------------------------------
    My XP SP3 :
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.015.000
    TrueVector version:8.0.015.000
    Driver version:8.0.015.000
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:958233226
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200808.4505
    GeorgeV

happydonny Guest

thx everyone here coz i've solved exactly the same problem on my laptop by uninstalling zonealarm 8..
    today i've surf the internet for over 2 hours using p2p software and browsers without any problem, which never happened before the uninstallation..
    but i keep feeling unsafe without a firewall..so tonight i will reinstall zonealarm and try george's instructions..
    what confusing me is why the process cannot be ended and stays in the task manager.. what had zonealarm done to the softwares...

Please don't Jump to the Wrong conclusion..There are Over 60 Million Users of ZoneAlarm world Wide.. and Very Few People ever log onto a Support Forum to say how Great the Program is, This Forum exist to help the Few Users who encounter a problem and need to be guided in the right direction..Here is a Clue for Users of ZAFree for WinXP..all version of ZAFree for Win XP ever since the First ZAFree Ver. 7.0 &amp; Ver. 8.0 contain the full Trial of ZA Security Suite.. 44.6Mb, nearly three times bigger than the original ZAFree Ver 6.0,this is a Marketing Ploy to offer FRee users a chance to try the 15 day trial of the Full Security Suite, even though durring the Install process you can Decline the Free Trial of the Security Suite, the fact that the ZA Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware install modules are included in the ZAFree Install package will Conflict with any other Anti-Virus or Anti-Spyware that you have pre-installed before installing ZAFree .2.) Please note that ZAFree for XP does not always play nice with many security tools. For example, Norton,McAfee,ad-aware, Ad-watch, AVG 8, spybotS&amp;D, Spyware Doctor, Spysweeper. For sure it cannot be installed if you have still another Antivirus software or Firewall (other than Windows Firewall) installed or active,however you may want to disable the NAV 2008 Internet Worm Protection as it acts like a mini inbound Firewall that will Conflict with ZA Firewall.

To troubleshoot ZAFree issues it is highly recommendedthat youremove all the above and install them back on (if you really need to) after your ZAFreeis installed and configured and runningas it should. If you have not installed any of the above ensure that NO left overs areon the system (they can conflict with the ZA install).Here is another tip:Just One, Not Two -- Never use two software Firewalls at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility or if not available, use the Windows XP add/remove software tool in the control panel.<HR>Just One, Not Two -- Never use two anti-virus products at the same time. Completely uninstall one before installing another. Use the vendor's uninstall utility or if not available, use the Windows XP add/remove software tool in the control panel. It seems that Spyware Doctor's Process Guard does not play nice with ZA. There is a known issue that PC Tools is investigating where the Spyware Doctor causes excess CPU usage for vsmon.exe. This was really never a big deal for me, but apparently with the newest ZA update, this conflict has risen to a new level. If I disable Process Guard then ZA functions normally.
    NOTE: You must go into ZA Overview/Preferences and UN-Check "Load ZoneAlarm Free on Startup"3. Reboot the Computer. 4. Install the new ZA update (clean or upgrade) and Accept the default Setting, Auto-Learn Mode and Choose Trusted Zone, not Internet Zone..

ZAFree for WinXP requires a minimum of Service Pack 2..

--------------------------------------------------------
    My XP SP3 :
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.015.000
    TrueVector version:8.0.015.000
    Driver version:8.0.015.000
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:958367004
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200808.4505
    GeorgeV

happydonny Guest

ok... i didn't mean that zonealarm is bad... i have used it for years and feel satisfied.. actually i'm downloading latest ZA 7 and trying to set it right...
    it is no doubt that when i uninstalled it, the problem didn't appear again. my antivirus software is NOD32, there may be some conflict with NOD32 and ZA, who knows...
    do i need to uninstall NOD32 before install ZA ?
    i hope i can work it out and keep on using ZA as firewall. i really like it.

thx george~

eucird Guest

Hello, did the above steps resolve the issues stated as I have the same problem and they have not helped me. I am running vista 32 sp1 with a paid version of ZA. I have set all windows/microsoft programs with a green tick. The program control is set to max and the smartdefense setting is at manual. My cookie and pop blockers are set to off.When I browse the internet the page will just hang, if I close it and reopen IE it still hangs. The only way to get it working is with a restart which takes ages to perform. My admin controls say IE is causing slow shut down and I do not know how to resolve this either. I turned ZA off and started windows firewall but the problem just seemed to get worse! Do I need to completely uninstall ZA instead off just turning it off? Safari and firefox are worse, they hang almost immediately.This is really starting to wind me up now, I don't want to format again if I can help it. My PC is only 4 months old and came preinstalled with vista.Somebody please help,Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information