Thread: I still can't access the internet with ZA on

carol_k Guest

Default I still can't access the internet with ZA on

I've had a nightmare day trying to figure out why I can't access the internet after downloading ZA update.
    Now, everytime I try to go into the internet a box pops up saying "The True Vector Monitor has shut down.
    Do you wish to restart it?" I click yes, but nothing happens.
    I've tried setting the internet zone security to medium.
    I've tried to remove the windows update as instucted on
    ZA web site, but when I bring it up on the "Add/Remove programs" it says that this update cannot be removed.
    I also tried to reset ZA, but that didn't work either.
    And to make matter worse, they're not taking phone calls on the tech support line.
    What is going on with Zone Alarm??
    For those of us who need to use the internet for work we need to know that tech support is available.
    If anyone has any suggestion I would really appreciate it.....

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: I still can't access the internet with ZA on

Here is what you do:

First start windows in the Safe Mode.
    Next, open the Start | Programs | Zone Labs and then
    RIGHT-click on Uninstall ZoneAlarm,
    then select Properties.
    Under the Target you will see the following line:

"C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe"

Change it to:

"C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean

(first add a space and then type in the /clean )

Then Apply and OK the window.

Then imediately double click the Uninstall ZoneAlarm in the Zone Labs of the All Programs.

Then click OK to run the uninstaller.

Please say "Yes" when being prompted for the removal of all files.
    Then do the compulsory reboot as requested by the uninstaller.

Once back to the normal mode, do this:

Once back to the windows after that rebooot, then again open the command prompt and this time type in "netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt" and then press the Enter key of the keyboard. (and do not include the quotation marks of the given command).
    Wait a few minutes and then immediately reboot.

(command prompt is opened by opening the Run and type in cmd and Okay the Run or by opening the Start | All Programs | Accessories ).

Then download CCleaner and install this and give it a run and clean/remove any files and registry keys it will find in it's default settings.

Next open the Internet Explorer and download your ZASS from here:

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...seHistory.html

Now install the ZA.

Once the compulsory reboot is finished to finalize the installation of the ZA, then set the key or license in if needed. The "New Network Found" windows if it appears should have the network set to Trusted not Internet.
    Yes and apply and always the first few alerts from the ZA.

Next do this:

Make sure your DNS and DHCP server IP's are in your Firewall's Trusted zone. Finding DNS and DCHP servers, etc

1. Go to Run and type in command and hit 'ok', and in the command then type in ipconfig /all then press the enter key. In the returned data list will be a line DNS and DHCP Servers with the IP address(s) listed out to the side. Make sure there is a space between the ipconfig and the /all, and the font is the same (no capitals).
    2. In ZA on your machine on the Firewall, open the Zones tab, click Add and then select IP Address. Make sure the Zone is set to Trusted. Add the DNS IP(s) .
    3. Click OK and Apply. Then do the same for the DHCP server.
    4. The localhost (127.0.0.1) must be listed as Trusted.
    5. The Generic Host Process (svchost.exe) as seen in the Zone Alarm's Program's list must have server rights for the Trusted Zone.
    Plus it must have both Trusted and Internet Access.

Extra help is found at Guru Hoov site for the DNS/DHCP.

Next open the WINDOWS\Internet Logs and see if there is a "LSPConflict.txt" or any "tvdebug" zips (not just logs but look for just zips) to be found.
    And look again after a few complete windows shutdowns and fresh startups too as this is when they will be created.
    If these are found, then please post stating as such, so I then know which direction to go next to and do the follow up.
    Also look for any "xDB*.tmp" and a "fwdb*.txt" too as these files are also important.
    If there is another problem with the ZA, then these specifically mentioned files will appear!

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

upsetcustomer Guest

You really need to go through all that? :O

carol_k Guest

I did a complete reinstall and still can't get into the internet. I use WildBlue and noticed that someone else with WildBlue is having the same problem.
    Went into WINDOWS\Internet Logs and found "tvdebug text document" and also found many xDB tmp files, xDB2F.temp, xDB7.tmp and the list goes on. Checked the Firewall settings and the internet, DHCP server and DNS server are all in trusted zone.
    Is that how it should be??
    I'm at my wits end.
    This all started on Friday and here it is
    Tuesday with no resolution!
    I'm ready to cancel ZA.......

Those file (zips included) you mention are all "debug" files.
    This means the ZA is experiencing issues and is logging these events.

I am beginning to suspect that if the ZA is having these many issues, then it maybe the windows or the hardware or the hardware drivers that are experiencing issues. Those issues would refect back to the ZA.
    In other words we are looking at the result (za issues) but not the cause or the reason of the za issues.

Windows issues can often be remedied by a windows system file check and a complete disk check. Followed by a defrag and disk cleanup.

Hardware issues can be a bad hdd, memory cards, sound graphic cards, etc.
    Usually a dianostic check is done by the vendor's included cd - often included on the window disk from the vendor or from the manufactures of the various hardware components.
    Mem check is a free tool for checking the memory cards.
    And the hdd diagnostics tools can be found at the web sites of that hdd maker.

Drivers can often be updated with the manufactures built in updaters or in windows in the device manager of the computer management or even by driver's folders updaters (sometimes).

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information