Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft upgrade v. ZA and Administrator Access

mzbannon Guest

Default Microsoft upgrade v. ZA and Administrator Access

Like others, I lost Internet connectivity after installing the ZA upgrade. I've uninstalled the Microsoft upgrade that started this whole mess and then re-downloaded the ZA upgrade. When I try to install the upgrade, I get an error message telling me I don't have Administrator priviliges.
    I created a new account and assigned it Admin rights but no luck. I'm not a computer whiz but I read some of the postings
    and have followed the steps for rebooting in safe mode (as well as safe mode with networking) and have selected the Administrator role (as well as the Owner role) and have tried to run ZA but I continue to get the same message telling me I need to log on as an Administrator.
    At this point I don't think ZA is even running as it
    no longer appears in my system tray. I had also expereinced some error messages telling me there was a problem connecting with TruVector service but that seems to have stopped after I uninstalled the Microsoft upgrade.
    Can anyone help? I'm running Windows XP Home Edition, Version 2002, SP 2.
    Any help is appreciated.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Microsoft upgrade v. ZA and Administrator Access

you need to install the za upgrade after the install of the security patch from microsoft if zonealarm is still installed best option is to uninstall it then install the security patch and then reinstall zonealarm
    please let me know if this does not work

also it is recommended to upgrade to sp3 for windows xp

Message Edited by robdog on 09-14-2008 12:06 AM
    thanks robdog
    (c)robdog 2010 (picture & SN)
    (please note) As users we can't give others help unless we get full details of the problem that you are having

mzbannon Guest

Sorry for the delay but after installing the Microsoft security patch and then trying to run the ZA upgrade, I get the error message that says, "You do not have acess to make the required system configuration modifications. Please rerun this installation from an administrators account."
    But I only have one account on my computer and it's an administrator account! I confirmed this by checking the User Accounts via the Control Panel. I also
    tried setting up another administrator account but nothing has worked.

Again, any
    help is appreciated.

try uninstalling the zonealarm you have now with the clean install (goto the uninstall link in the start menu, right click, properties, and add /clean at the end of the line)run the uninstaller and restart the computer when it tells you to, then reinstall the current version that works (none of the 8 series escept for beta versions) and let me know if you get any of the same messages if you do you will need to install windows xp sp3 you can get the install from microsoft through the windows update/microsoft update link in your start menu
    hope this helps
    thanks robdog
    (please note) As users we can't give others help unless we get full details of the problem that you are having

mzbannon Guest

I went to the control panel and tried to do what you said, but I get the same message after clicking on the Change/Remove button (the one that says I don't have permission or access to make the change and need to log on as an Administrator).
    I can see in the Add/Remove programs window that Windows XP Service Pack 3 has been installed.

which version are you trying to install
    if you are trying to install the 8 series dont unless it is a beta version
    but if nothing works on any version you may need to backup all you personnal data to either cds, dvds, or a seperate harddrive
    and format your current system and reinstall xp and install sp3 and then install the zonealarm
    also before installing sp3 install any programs that dont support sp3 first (microsoft streets and trips 2007 for example)
    i'm sorry i couldn't be any more of any help
    this is a last resort unless someone knows of a way to bypass the security setting
    thanks robdog

mzbannon Guest

Ouch. That sounds like a last resort and I appreciate your patience and advice. I have seen some posts about modifying the "reg edit" (or something like that) under a different forum as a way to get your computer to re-recognize you as an adminstrator. I've held off trying anything like that due to a profound lack of faith in my own skills but perhaps now is the time to try.
    I'll see if I can find a post about modifying the "reg edit" or loss of administrator accounts, and hopefully there will be some steps to follow.
    By the way, is this the right forum to look for this stuff or should I be looking in another forum?
    Thanks again for your advice and willingness to help.

<blockquote><hr>mzbannon wrote:
    Ouch. That sounds like a last resort and I appreciate your patience and advice. I have seen some posts about modifying the "reg edit" (or something like that) under a different forum as a way to get your computer to re-recognize you as an adminstrator. I've held off trying anything like that due to a profound lack of faith in my own skills but perhaps now is the time to try.
    I'll see if I can find a post about modifying the "reg edit" or loss of administrator accounts, and hopefully there will be some steps to follow.
    By the way, is this the right forum to look for this stuff or should I be looking in another forum?
    Thanks again for your advice and willingness to help.
    <hr></blockquote>

There is a registry hack for this, but the easiest solution is uninstall the ZA in the safe mode (safe boot).
    Also the ZA can be installed while in the safe mode (just reboot after doing the original uninstallation first!).

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

i never could get it to run if i installed it in safe mode though
    but you maybe able to get rid of the glitch by uninstalling in safe mode
    to do this: after your boot diagnostics or computer company logo and before windows is loading start hitting f8 untill you get a boot option menu
    if the menu shows to boot windows xp (or vista) hit f8 again: scroll up or down to where it says safe mode (just regular safe mode no networking) and run the uninstall once the system boots into safe mode: once it restarts the system go into regular windows and right click the installer for the current version and click run as, it should give you an option to run as the administrator (if the account isnt password protected (shouldn't be if its a store bought or self build unless you set it)) and the installer should work
    let us know if it doesn't or if you need more info
    thanks robdog

<blockquote><hr>robdog wrote:
    i never could get it to run if i installed it in safe mode though
    but you maybe able to get rid of the glitch by uninstalling in safe mode
    to do this: after your boot diagnostics or computer company logo and before windows is loading start hitting f8 untill you get a boot option menu
    if the menu shows to boot windows xp (or vista) hit f8 again: scroll up or down to where it says safe mode (just regular safe mode no networking) and run the uninstall once the system boots into safe mode: once it restarts the system go into regular windows and right click the installer for the current version and click run as, it should give you an option to run as the administrator (if the account isnt password protected (shouldn't be if its a store bought or self build unless you set it)) and the installer should work
    let us know if it doesn't or if you need more info
    <hr></blockquote>

If you encounter difficulties installing the ZA in the safe boot, then do not use the usual safe boot, but opt for the safe boot with networking.
    It is possible some needed network driver or windows drvier is the issue for the failed installs in the regular safe boot.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information