Thread: Remote desktop Issues with windows server 2008

cmajoed Guest

Default Remote desktop Issues with windows server 2008

Hello everyone!

1st post and all that,

Anyway to the point. I've had a quick look round the forum for similar issues to the one I have, to no real avail so here we go.

Situation :

The company I work for has a windows server 2008 file server sitting in a deep dark vault with all the other network paraphernalia.

When I first set this server up I could connect with Remote desktop connection with no problems, when I installed zone alarm I expected to briefly loose this ability so I dragged myself and a monitor down to setup zone alarm security suite (v.8.0.020.00) on the server. After allowing (or so I thought) access for RDC I went back upstairs to test it out. It worked (yay!)

So I went home that night happy and came back today to start work, turned on the server, then went upstairs and turned on my workstation and ran RDC only to be given a error message stating that RDC couldn't connect to the server (even though all the other network services were still running) So armed with my trusty spare monitor, keyboard and mouse I ventured back downstairs to investigate what was going on.

I found myself able to log onto the server directly with no problems, so logged off and came back upstairs to test RDC again... it worked.

I have tested this multiple times now with various different combinations of ZA been on, off, access control set for different things and I always end up with the same problem of whenever I turn the server on I cannot use RDC until I have logged onto the server directly once.

Its almost as if Zone alarm is running some sort of firewall / access control with different settings to the ones I've set before the machine is logged into windows.

Please note I have tested this with all the ZA facilities turned off but I still have the same problem. When ZA isn't present on the system I have no problems.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions please divulge!

Cheers

Joe

Message Edited by cmaJoeD on 09-23-2008 04:51 AM

Default Re: Remote desktop Issues with windows server 2008

The ZA is not recommended by the vendor to be used on server operating systems.
    It is strictly a desktop operating system software.
    Best regards.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

cmajoed Guest

Thank you for your reply,

I was just curious to see if there was any ideas on what was causing the problem, the only reason I was using ZA was due to us having a few spare licence keys left over.

Will start investigating alternatives now.

You are welcome.
    Best regards.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information