Thread: Internet access

carin Guest

Default Internet access

Hello,

Since I downloaded ZoneAlarm, I've been having interference accessing wireless internet. I can gain access by restarting my computer, but if my computer falls asleep or if I move to a new spot where I'm using a different wireless signal, I need to restart the computer again to get connected. I've got a Dell E1405 with Windows Vista, 32-bit OS. I run firefox and explorer and have the problem with both browsers.

At the same time I started using Zone Alarm, I also started using AVG anti-virus and got rid of McAfee. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Carin

Operating System:Windows Vista Home Basic
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

Default Re: Internet access

Hi Carin.

Try this first and see if things are better (after the next reboot)....

Make sure your DNS and DHCP server IP's are in your Firewall's Trusted zone. Finding DNS and DCHP servers, etc

1. Go to Run and type in command and hit 'ok', and in the command then type in ipconfig /all then press the enter key. In the returned data list will be a line DNS and DHCP Servers with the IP address(s) listed out to the side. Make sure there is a space between the ipconfig and the /all, and the font is the same (no capitals).
    2. In ZA on your machine on the Firewall, open the Zones tab, click Add and then select IP Address. Make sure the Zone is set to Trusted. Add the DNS IP(s) .
    3. Click OK and Apply. Then do the same for the DHCP server.
    4. The localhost (127.0.0.1) must be listed as Trusted.
    5. The Generic Host Process (svchost.exe) as seen in the Zone Alarm's Program's list must have server rights for the Trusted Zone.
    Plus it must have both Trusted and Internet Access.

Extra help is found at Guru Hoov site for the DNS/DHCP.

Also make sure when the ZA shows the "new network found" windows, to set this new network as Trusted (unless in a public hotspot or wifi network that is unsecured).

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

etienneduval Guest

I have a similar problem.

Using Vista (32bit) and **bleep**! anti-virus with a wireless connection. ZoneAlarm 7.1.254 (free version) is completely blocking my internet access.

DNS and DHCP are both in the trusted zone. I also tried putting everything I found in the Trusted zone : no dice.

All relevant software has been given access to the internet.

All solutions I've been able to find on the forums have been for naught.

Made sure the windows firewall is disabled in the Windows Services, not just in the security center?

Any chance your antivirus has some network guard/shield or worm protection or web scanning for content such as activeX, cookies, js, java, etc?

Disabled the Mail Safe in the ZA and are just using the email scanner in the antivirus?

Removed the bits and pieces left over from the previous firewall/security suite with their removal tools?

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

etienneduval Guest

Made sure the windows firewall is disabled in the Windows Services, not just in the security center?
    Yes.

Any chance your antivirus has some network guard/shield or worm protection or web scanning for content such as activeX, cookies, js, java, etc?
    That's what I first figured, but ran ZA for a few moments with the Anti-virus stoped (not crazy-crazy about being online w/o anti-viral software...) and my access was still impaired.

The crazy thing about it is that I have full access to my local network, it just won't let me "leave the house" as it were... (I'm using the standard modem -> router -> every PC in the house architecture.)

Disabled the Mail Safe in the ZA and are just using the email scanner in the antivirus?
    Did not try that - will do. However, I did not use any mail software while trying to get it to work. And my mail scanner from the antivirus was still "waiting for activation" - i.e. I do not think it was active...

Removed the bits and pieces left over from the previous firewall/security suite with their removal tools?
    I did all I can figure I can do.

I previously had Norton... Used the Windows remove and then the Norton remove tool (which is _really_ hard to find on their site btw... had to find the link through a "third-party" 'tech site with a direct link. I understand their not wanting to advertise a "removal tool" for their own product but sheesh!)

I'd try a full-on "recovery" but my computer came with Norton - so that's out.

Oldsod.
    Thank you very much for the advice and help.

I've since tried a different firewall. It works. I'll try ZA again with your recommendations, but if it won't behave... I'll not have my prefered solution, but "less than optimal" is still better than "not working".

If you got a connection at home and not for the internet, several things...

your modem is not recognized by your internet provider - this can happen if the modem is no longer MAC'd in to their network.
    Just call your provider's support by telephone and ask them to check your modem's connectivity. They can fix this in minutes without visiting your house.

you can not get any domain name lookups to get the information needed to get to the web sites/servers.
    Make sure the dns servers are in the trusted zone of the firewall.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

etienneduval Guest

My internet connection is not at issue: I have but to shutdown ZA and everything works fine - on the spot; no reboot etc required.

With ZA on, I can only access the local network - hence my scrunched-up brow...

Unless my router's (Lynksys WRT160N) firewall and ZA are having issues with each other (but I don't see how that could happen...) I have no clue what's going on...

Again, thank you very much for your time.

I have since migrated to another solution - it's not what I initially hoped for, but it'll do. :P

It did seem to be an error in the local area network configurations.... but since you migrated to another firewall then all I can say is ... Live Long and Prosper!
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

etienneduval Guest

Default Thank you, and may the Force be with you. ;)

Thank you, and may the Force be with you.

Default Re: Thank you, and may the Force be with you. ;)

Thank you.
    Live Long and Prosper!
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information