Thread: svchost.exe

djcovarrubias Guest

Default svchost.exe

I've recently been getting a warning about the file svchost.exe originating from the c:/windows/system32 folder asking to act as a server, IP 0.0.0.0ort 135.
    Scanning with ZA and a variety of other tools yields no threat.
    I've read in this forum that this is not really a threat, some recommending to allow always, some recommending to deny always.
    Trouble is, whether I allow always or deny always the problem keeps cropping up, for reasons that are not at all clear to me.
    Any advice?
    DC

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: svchost.exe

svchost is the Windows"host program" for the Windows Services (like a traffic cop), which areWindowsfeatures that run in the background with little or no user interaction (e.g., the print spooler).Mostare an essential part of Windows, but since there are so many of them, and there is little user interaction, they can easily lead to confusion and troubleshooting challenges. You can see all the Services that are running in the background by looking at the Windows Task Manager Services tab.NOTE: Make sure all of the following Programs have Trusted and Internet access (2 Green Check Marks):a.) All Microsoft and Windows Programs have Green Check marks for Trusted and Internet Access..b.) Generic Host Process for win32 Services (svchost.exe) also allow Trusted Server Rights (no Internet Server Rights)c.) IE Crash Detectiond.) Internet Explorer or FireFoxe.) Malicious Software Removal Toolf.) True Vector Service (If it is listed)g.) Zone Alarm Clienth.) Zone Alarm Updating Clienti.) Your Email Client needs Trusted, Internet accessand Send Mail all need Green check Marks..--------------------------------------------------------
    My XP SP3 :
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.059.000
    TrueVector version:8.0.059.000
    Driver version:8.0.059.000
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:961698809
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.202.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200810.4776
    AntiSpam version:5.0.61.9957
    -------------------------------------------------
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

mokolon Guest

I have the identical problem. I am constantly being barraged by 0.0.0.0 port 135 requests. If I allow, or deny, it doesn't matter - I will be asked again next time I log in like clockwork. Sometimes it will even pop up after I've been in for a while.

I have set svchost.exe as Allowed for Trusted.
    I have tried adding an expert rule 0.0.0.0 to the trusted zone explicitly and saying any communication, any port to or from 0.0.0.0 is fine.

I still get it all the time.

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>Mokolon wrote:
    I have the identical problem. I am constantly being barraged by 0.0.0.0 port 135 requests. If I allow, or deny, it doesn't matter - I will be asked again next time I log in like clockwork. Sometimes it will even pop up after I've been in for a while.

I have set svchost.exe as Allowed for Trusted.
    I have tried adding an expert rule 0.0.0.0 to the trusted zone explicitly and saying any communication, any port to or from 0.0.0.0 is fine.

I still get it all the time.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Please read my Previous Comment and Add Trusted Server Rights ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.059.000
    TrueVector version:8.0.059.000
    Driver version:8.0.059.000
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:962095578
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.202.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200810.4776
    AntiSpam version:5.0.61.9957
    GeorgeV

ananda Guest

Hi, GeorgeV
    Reading your comment for the settings for the Generic Host Process, I feel a bit confused.I had this question:
    http://forums.zonealarm.com/zonelabs...ssage.id=82329

I feel a bit confused about the settings for &quot;Generic Host Process for Win32 Services&quot;.

At this moment it says here:

SYSTEM

Trust LeveL:
    3 green vertical bars (Super)

Access: Trusted : allowed
    - Internet: allowed

Server: Trusted: allowed - Internet: allowed

Send your mail: blocked

I feel uncertain about Server: Internet: allowed
    To this, Guru Fax answered in
    http://forums.zonealarm.com/zonelabs...ssage.id=82338

yes, these are settings ZA central database give to svchost on the latest version.
    But in your comment here, you write: No Internet Server Rights.
    Kindly remove the mist from my mind?

Thanks in advance.
    Kind regards,
    Ananda

Hi!
    lets try again... since I see you keep cross posting everywhere and this does not help the work of the other volunteers here.

Server: Trusted: allowed - Internet: allowed is the setting that ZA central database gives to SVCHOST in the latest version. If you TRUST ZA permission than your should leave settings as determined by ZA central database.

As you see from many other posts, users also suggest to block server rights. If you TRUST users and expert here you are free to block the server rights. Just keep note of the changes you do in case you have problems.

Security wise you only need to keep your system patched and ZA always active and updated.
    This is regardless of the settings given to svchost.

Is it clear?

If you need to know why svchost has server rights to the internet than you should write directly to ZA technical support and ask. Here: www.zonealarm.com/tsform

Cheers,
    Fax

Message Edited by fax on 10-27-2008 09:37 AM

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

ananda Guest

Hi Fax
    Thanks for your patience and understanding, and your willingness to answer.Sorry for cross posting. Won't do it any more. Promise.Was not my intention to do so, but different answers don't make things easier for people who are not pros - and who
    speak a different language, and who are in
    utter darkness when it comes to terms like the present. Going by plane doesn't make us a pilot or a plane mechanic, does it?Kindly allow me to explain this cross posting, without having the intention to hurt anybody's feelings in any way whatsoever.GeorgeV's answer in

http://forums.zonealarm.com/zonelabs...ssage.id=35910 said:
    allow Trusted Server Rights (no Internet Server Rights).
    [it is in bold in his text, which I have copied] At the bottom he showed us his 8.0.059 ZA Suite Version. The one we are talking about.So you can readily understand your saying Yes and his saying No, the two of you being Pros, to one and the same topic of one and the same ZA version,
    confused this non-Pro -

unless I have misunderstood his answer. Hence my postings in order to get a definite answer...
    So, my apologies, once again.
    Kind regards,
    Ananda

Hi!
    No problem...

Cheers,
    Fax

Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time

I Agree with Guru Fax..Sorry for the confusion.., My No Server advice was based on the Previous versions of ZA..As a General Rule, IMHO, very few programs need Server Rights..
    GeorgeV

Thread Information