Thread: ZASS 8.0.059.000 - Denies access to programmes and internet

carosam Guest

Default ZASS 8.0.059.000 - Denies access to programmes and internet

Am running vista ultimate and have just updated to latest version zass - everything ok until computer left for 2 hours (approx) . On return to computer cannot access any programmes. message reads a "windows cannot access this program - you may not have authority". This applies to all
    programmes apart from zass (thank goodness) . Problem can be solved by turning off program control in ZASS. This enabled me to open Internet Explorer but apparently not access any internet sites a problem only solved by turning off ZASS firewall. At the moment have replaced this with windows firewall. Advice please. Somewhere along the line
    I granted all the programmes super trusted status just to see if it helped.Computer is Pentium 4, with 2gig RamShould also mention that the first time this happened I tried re-booting computer but it would not boot up, tried 4 or 5 times, went to bed and successfully started computer following morning. Similar experience on the second occasion it happened.
    Any help welcome - Thanks - Carosam

Operating System:Windows Vista Ultimate
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: ZASS 8.0.059.000 - Denies access to programmes and internet

Hi!sounds like your ZA settings got corrupted...To repair this problem, please follow the steps below. Please note that this will remove your program permission settings (so you may want to make
    note of them), but re-establishing them is a simple process.1.) Hold down the Ctrl and Shift keys together
    2.) Right click on the ZA icon near your clock
    3.) Choose 'Reset' from the box that comes up
    4.) Choose Yes on the Reset Settings dialog box
    5.) When prompted, choose OK to restart your system
    6.) Follow the on screen configuration prompts after rebootIf the above fails proceed to remove ZASS as indicated here:http://www2.nohold.net/noHoldCust542...n_install.html**Remember to remove the folder indicated at the end of the document and take note if your license since it will wiped out)Clean your system and registry with ccleaner:http://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds/downloadbinslimRe-Download latest version:www.zonealarm.com/zasuitedownload/Install with default settings do not alter them.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

carosam Guest

Hi
    Tried reset - made no difference to problem . Have now performed clean uninstall and re- install as per your post.Minor feature I had not noticed previously - Games link in right hand pane of start menu tries to open (and fails to open properly) Windows Explorer with ZASS operating, after clean up, games link opened games menu as normal. After re-install this link tries to open Windows explorer again ? - odd !!
    Cheers
    Carosam

Hi!
    not sure now what exactly is the problem...
    Nor I think I understand what you are trying to do sorry

You can always try to contact ZA technical support at: www.zonealarm.com/tsform
    May be they have better ideas?

Cheers,
    Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

tarragonslayer Guest

Hi there,
    This sounds very much like the problem I am having since a week or three.
    I tried resetting, reinstalling, didn't work, and deactivated kb956803 too, but it is still happening.
    As long as I stay "active", access sites, load data, there is no problem. As soon as I stay "inactive" too long, everything fails and I need to reboot.

Thanks on beforehand,
    Tarragon

tarragonslayer Guest

Oh, I forgot to mention...
    I DO have Everquest II running, so it's not really that I am entirely inactive.
    However, when the internet problems start, I am unable to "zone", which means: switch from one (sub)server to the other.
    Perhaps this has something to do with it?

carosam Guest

Hi,
    I'm still mystified, have been through all the conventional clean un-install , etc a couple of times but the problem seems to persist.ALthough everything is OK as long as I remain active . Since the uninstall / reinstall sequence the reboot seems to have generally got quicker though occassionally freezes .
    Carosam

zacat Guest

Default Re: ZASS 8.0.059.000 - Denies access to programs and internet - SAME PROBLEM HERE

I'm experiencing the exact same problem.
    I've been using 8.0.059 for a little more than a week, but the problem all of a sudden started the last few days.
    I emailed ZA support and am awaiting a response, but I'm considering downgrading to 7.1.254 because I had no problems whatsoever with that version.

carosam Guest

I have now spent some time re-installing version 8, altering start options etc., etc, and frankly the problem seems to have got worse , the period of inactivity before getting locked out seems to be getting shorter (1hr) and time taken to re-boot gets longer (upto 15mins). Un-installed version 8 and installed version 7.1 and everything as far as I can tell working fine so far.
    Carosam

tarragonslayer Guest

By now I am about 99,9% certain that the culprit is indeed ZoneAlarm.
    The internet activity seems to be blocked. When I shut down ZoneAlarm, everything works fine again.
    And in some cases, if I don't shutdown ZoneAlarm, but press Alt-ctrl-delete, I get a strange half error message where I can read something about "Error security options".
    I too have been trying different settings, resetting again, trying other settings, but it is no use.

Thread Information