Thread: Firefox 3.0.3

cmtp Guest

Default Firefox 3.0.3

After about 15 minutes of browsing with Firefox 3.0.3 the program stops responding. The next page request and the browser indicates "Waiting for *.com" At that point I can not access the internet in any other way (browser or email). The OS has to be restarted (sometimes a prolonged process)to regain another 15 minutes browsing. With ZoneAlarm disabled (ZASS 80_059_000_en) and using Vista's (SP1) firewall, there is no problem. Cleaning of Firefox from the program list, uninstall ZASS 8x and installing ZASS 7x with Firefox full privileges does not help.
    This problem did not exist before recent ZASS upgrade. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
    cmtp

Operating System:Windows Vista Business
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Firefox 3.0.3

Firefox needs both trusted and internet access and the trusted server rights in the ZA program listing.
    The generic host process (svchost.exe) needs the very same - both trusted and internet access and trusted server rights.

Right click the firefox.exe in the program listing of the ZA and open the Options and check the first two items listed and apply and ok.

In the Zones of the Firewall, the DNS and DHCP servers must be listed as Trusted and the loopback address (127.0.0.1) must be listed as Trusted.

The trusted zone security slider must be set at medium not at high.

The program control slider can be set at autolearn (medium) for a few weeks until the ZA gets retrained and sorts things out for you.

Oldsod.

Message Edited by Oldsod on 10-27-2008 10:09 AM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

cmtp Guest

Thanks,
    All is well now.

CMTP

You are welcome cmtp.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

oniphire Guest

I'm having the same problem, and the above steps didn't fix the issue. After 15+ minutes of browsing, I can no longer access any page on IE (7.0.6001.18000) or Firefox (3.0.4), nor can Windows Media Player access the internet. "Waiting for (page).com". Instant messaging and games are still able to. I have made sure that all of the above are Allow for Access (Trusted & Internet) and Server (Trusted & Internet). Loopback I.P. address (127.0.0.1) has been added to Trusted zone as well. Any help would be appreciated.

Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium 32x
    Software Version: 8.0.065.000
    Product Name: ZoneAlarm Firewall

<blockquote><hr>Oniphire wrote:
    I'm having the same problem, and the above steps didn't fix the issue. After 15+ minutes of browsing, I can no longer access any page on IE (7.0.6001.18000) or Firefox (3.0.4), nor can Windows Media Player access the internet. "Waiting for (page).com". Instant messaging and games are still able to. I have made sure that all of the above are Allow for Access (Trusted & Internet) and Server (Trusted & Internet). Loopback I.P. address (127.0.0.1) has been added to Trusted zone as well. Any help would be appreciated.

Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium 32x
    Software Version: 8.0.065.000
    Product Name: ZoneAlarm Firewall
    <hr></blockquote>

More than likely the ZA is checking the programs by the checksums (authenticate programs) and not by the file path (authenticate program by full file path only) only.
    This means every time the IE, WMPlayer or the Firefox get a program update, the previously used checksums (and stored) no longer match and this causes the ZA not to recognize the programs anymore. Thus these are denied access.

Open the Options (in the right click of the concerned program(s) as seen in the Program List of the Programs of the ZA), and deselect the "authenticate programs" and select the "authenticate program by full file path only". Apply and OK. Close the ZA. Then open the ZA.
    These should be functioning with network access now - and their future updatesd will not affect their access.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information