Thread: Unable to connect to the internet when ZA is up.

crossguns Guest

Default Unable to connect to the internet when ZA is up.

Okay so I've been having problems for the past few days. My browser can only connect to the internet when ZA is disabled.

Symptoms of this problem include:

Loss of internet connectivity
    Inability to connect to services such as MSN, Skype
    General slowdown of computer

I'm running a Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz, so the slowdown must be software based.

I have tried opening ports that were stated in another thread but this was to no avail.

I have tried lowering the internet zone slider to medium, this does not work.

My DNS servers, loopback adaptor, default gateway and all of that are in the trusted zone.

I tried to remove the KB 9(whatever) but XP won't let me.

Can anyone help?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

harleymonk Guest

Default Re: Unable to connect to the internet when ZA is up.

I assume you just updated to v. 8. If you notice posts back in July 08 at http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/fr...cessIssue.html, a Windows OS KB951748 hortfix and ZA were incompatible. At that time, there was a link (it's still there) to DL (but it's still v. 7), install, and then go to back to Win update and reinstall the patch.

There are two other options if you prefer: resetting your ZA Internet firewall to medium instead of high; or removing the KB951748 hotfix.

The problem recurred for me when I upgraded to V. 8 today and so I rolled back from high to medium. since the update is new, I assume ZA will come out with a fix similar to v. 7 that will allow the high Internet setting.

Monk

xytrix Guest

Hmm, I'm not sure I'm experiencing the same problem as you guys, but I have a router set up on my network that acts as a DHCP server. Usually ZoneAlarm will detect new networks regardless of the DHCP setup, but it seems that now with version 8, ZoneAlarm is blocking Windows from obtaining an ip address from that network.

The workaround I've been using is to manually add the subnet of my local network to the 'Zones' list (i.e. 192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0), and then ZoneAlarm will let Windows connect to the network and get an ip address. Hope this helps.

crossguns Guest

Thanks for the attempted help harleymonk, but none of these options have worked - I actually cannot uninstall the KB 9(whatever) update, as I have updated my XP Pro to SP3. It seems to have "locked" in the previous updates.

As mentioned in my previous posts none of the workarounds have worked, and yes, I have upgraded to 8.0.xxxx.xx

Any more help would be appreciated.

Cross.

namwob Guest

Hi,
    I had the same problem yesterday and today.
    I had done an upgrade yesterday.
    I think that is the problem.
    Uninstall and do a clean installation.
    It worked for me.

nkeklund Guest

<blockquote><hr>CroSSGunS wrote:
    Thanks for the attempted help harleymonk, but none of these options have worked - I actually cannot uninstall the KB 9(whatever) update, as I have updated my XP Pro to SP3. It seems to have &quot;locked&quot; in the previous updates.

As mentioned in my previous posts none of the workarounds have worked, and yes, I have upgraded to 8.0.xxxx.xx

Any more help would be appreciated.

Cross.
    <hr></blockquote>

What is the exact security update you are trying to uninstall, KB???. Just so anyone here can search the issue more in-depth I mean. Did you choose for XP SP3 not to archive uninstall files?

Thread Information