Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Internet Explorer will not connect to internet, using Zone Alarm

krazykat Guest

Default Internet Explorer will not connect to internet, using Zone Alarm

I am unable to re establish connection of IE7 to the internet. I have XP Pro, SP2 on an older IBM T41 laptop, with both a wired connection and a wireless connection to a router. Connection was working but now does not work. I am unable to connect with either the wired connection or the wireless connection.

I am using the free version of ZA 6.5.737.

Note, if I turn off ZA I have no problem connecting ---- So the problem is with ZA.

I have tried the delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb in the c:\windows\internet logs folder (actually just renamed the files so I would not loose them). Rebooted back into normal desktop. Same problem--no connection.

Right now my ZA Firewall shows the wired subnet, wireless subnet, loopback Ip address, DHCP Server IP address and DNS Server IP address, ALL TRUSTED zone.

Program Control shows Generic host Process for win 32 Services; green check for trusted access, internet access, server trusted and Red X for server internet

Internet explorer green check for all four, Access, trusted and internet; Server trusted and internet.

Zone labs client green check for all four

No other entries in program control

Internet Explorer reports a Page cannot be displayed error when trying to access any url, like www.google.com or www.cnn.com .

When I start IE, I get a ZA pop up Security Alert:

Protected
    The firewall has blocked Internet access to www.microsoft.com (207.46.19.254)(HTTP) from your computer(TCP Flag S)

I suspect some ZA setting(s) are missing but need help in finding the missing settings.

Thanks

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:6.5
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

Default Re: Internet Explorer will not connect to internet, using Zone Alarm

Certain MS patches have made the ZA 6.5 useless unless the Internet Security Zone slider is set to medium (not the high level) - either go back to the ZA 6.1 or use the latest version.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

nkeklund Guest

Actually, I think it has to do with the one MS dns patch they released. Apply the patch, uninstall ZA, and then reinstall ZA, I think it'll work. I did it with ZA 7.x anyhow. Not sure about 6.5.

<blockquote><hr>nkeklund wrote:
    Actually, I think it has to do with the one MS dns patch they released. Apply the patch, uninstall ZA, and then reinstall ZA, I think it'll work. I did it with ZA 7.x anyhow. Not sure about 6.5.
    <hr></blockquote>
    Yes, that is the specific patch I mentioned (without any details) - the one about the dns issue.
    Actually No for the ZA 6.5 - only the 6.1 or earlier and the latest versions will work properly.
    Using 5.5 as a steady firewall with never any issues - and the latest on the laptop.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

krazykat Guest

Oldsod, et. al.

A GREAT BIG THANKS! for the tip about the MS patch. Nice to know the solution is external to ZA.
    I will install the latest version of the free ZA ( my friend has a very tight budget, by the way
    am using ZA 7 pro).
    Couple of questions:
    Do I need to un-install ZA 6.5 and then re-install ZA 7, OR install ZA 7 as an update to ZA 6.5?
    I have not kept up with the free ZA ---- does the latest free version have all the same features as the free 6.5?
    Thanks againfor the response(s).
    Krazykat

If you want to start the ZA "fresh and clean", then uninstall the presently used ZA and install the new version; instead of just upgrading.
    Personally, I would do the uninstall and then do a fresh install - less issues in the long run, even though it is a little more work.
    Probably the best uninstall is the ZA " /clean" uninstall.

- Click on Start -> Programs -> Zone Labs
    - RIGHT-click on Uninstall ZoneAlarm, then select Properties
    - Under Target you will see the following line:

"C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe"

Change it to:

"C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean /rmlicense

(first add a space and then type in the /clean /rmlicense)

Use the Apply and OK in that window.

Open the Zone Alarm and disable the "Load Zone Alarm .. at startup" in the Preferences of the Overview. Then reboot. Now the Zone Alarm is completely off and none of it's driver have not been started.

-Return to the Uninstall ZoneAlarm in the Zone Labs of the All Programs
    - Click OK to run the uninstaller, and OK any security alerts that
    pop up.
    - say "Yes when being prompted for the removal of all files.
    - Reboot
    - manually remove the files found inside of these folders:
    [*]WINDOWS\ Internet Logs folder[*]Program Files\Zone Labs folder[*]WINDOWS\system32\ Zonelabs folder[*] any files in the Windows\Temp folder[*] and any files found in the Temp folders found in the Document and Settings[*]clean the Recycle Bin
    - reboot

- install the latest version. Please do not use any web accelerators or download managers! to download the ZA installer. These will corrupt the ZA installer!

It is very important for the ZA to be turned completely off (and not by the taskmanger's kill process or using the disable the driver in the Services) before attempting to uninstall the Zone Alarm.
    The best ways to make sure the ZA is completely turned off is either by setting the ZA not to start with windows and then reboot or uninstall the ZA in the safe boot.
    Failure to ensure the ZA's driver and the files are completely not running before attempting the uninstall or do the ZA upgrade is usually the chief cause of the usual uninstall problems such as blotched uninstalls or incomplete uninstalls.

The ZA 6.5 and the ZA 7.x and the ZA 8.x free versions are all basically the same. It is only the paid versions which have undergone the major changes.
    Only real difference with the ZA v8.x free version compared to the earlier ZA free versions is the change of the user graphic interface - it looks more different or "modern" but it is basically the same setup and settings.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

krazykat Guest

Oldsod,

Thanks for the instructions about running the uninstal.exe. I have a question; when I go to:

Probably the best uninstall is the ZA &quot; /clean&quot; uninstall.

- Click on Start -&gt; Programs -&gt; Zone Labs

&quot;C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe&quot;

The full path I have is C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\Zone Alarm\ and three sub folders: Help, images, repair.

The file uninstall.exe is in the main Zone Alarm folder along with the other program files. When I right click on the uninstal.exe file, the screen that comes up does not have the word &quot;Target&quot;. It just has 5 tabs across the top labled:
    &quot;General&quot;, &quot;Version&quot;, &quot;Compatibility, &quot;Digital Signatures&quot;. The &quot;General&quot; tab lists the file properties like description, Location (full path to the uninstall program),size, size on disk, Created, Modified, Accessed.

Have I missed something? Could I go to Start\run and cut and paste your full line
    C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe (without the quotes?

Also, I downloaded (what I think is) the 7.X free version, file size about 27.7 Meg. It that about right ? There was a different file at about 53 Meg; seems rather large.
    Thanks, Krazykat

zaswing Guest

http://img266.imageshack.us/my.php?i...lswitchdo6.png
    http://img266.imageshack.us/my.php?i...switch2su0.png

Sorry, I tried pasting pics into here but the forum says there are invalid HTML removed after forum translation, so use the links instead

Message Edited by zasuiteuser on 12-10-2008 05:20 PM

Message Edited by zasuiteuser on 12-10-2008 05:21 PM

Oh I see. Let me edit my bad instructions......
    - Click on Start -> Programs -> Zone Labs

to become this.........

- Click on Start -> All Programs -> Zone Labs

Sorry! I never meant the program directory itself, I really meant the menu of the All Programs!

<blockquote><hr>The full path I have is C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\Zone Alarm\ and three sub folders: Help, images, repair.

The file uninstall.exe is in the main Zone Alarm folder along with the other program files. When I right click on the uninstal.exe file, the screen that comes up does not have the word "Target". It just has 5 tabs across the top labled:
    "General", "Version", "Compatibility, "Digital Signatures". The "General" tab lists the file properties like description, Location (full path to the uninstall program),size, size on disk, Created, Modified, Accessed.

Have I missed something? Could I go to Start\run and cut and paste your full line
    C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe (without the quotes?)<hr></blockquote>

Yes and no.
    The zauninst.exe seen in the program directory is "raw" by itself.
    The target switches such as the " /clean" uninstall is added to the shortcut for the zauninst.exe, but not directly to the zauninst.exe itself.
    Usually the zauninst.exe shortcut seen in the Start -> All Programs -> Zone Labs has the " /clean'" added to the zauninst.exe "target" under the "Shortcut" tab found in the Properties of the zauninst.exe shortcut.

If by chance there is no seen shortcut for the zauninst.exe, then just create one and send it to desktop (if wanted) - this then can be used for the adding of the "/clean" switch.
    The shortcut can be created either by copying/shortcut (through windows) the zauninst.exe seen in the C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe folder OR ......by right clicking the desktop, select "New", select "Shortcut", type in "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean into the "Type in the location of the item" in the target (or use the "Browse") (but very important...make sure to use the quotation marks for the string for the zauninst.exe - it has to be "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean with the quotation marks), press the Next, type in "zauninst.exe, and press"Finish". The second method includes the " /clean" switch in the target.

One of the oldest methods to add switches and never mentioned on this forum is simple to do by adding the switch (of any kind for anything) to zauninst.exe of the Run of windows.
    Just open the Run, type in "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean (again use the quotation marks!) and press OK - the ZA uninstaller is opened.

Easy enough?

<blockquote><hr>Also, I downloaded (what I think is) the 7.X free version, file size about 27.7 Meg. It that about right ? There was a different file at about 53 Meg; seems rather large.<hr></blockquote>

Actually the smaller size of the ZA free installer is an improvement!
    Previously, the entire ZAISS installer was used for the ZA free installer- this was something that started with the version 7 free releases.
    However the latest v8 ZA free installer once again are using just the ZA Pro installers - thus the size decrease from 53 to 27 Meg.
    Really I would prefer the ZA Pro installer for the ZA free installer instead of the ZAISS installer for the ZA free releases - the missing antivirus/antispam/parental control "junk" of the suite was just pure bloat for a ZA free user and there is now less chance of the conflicting files or possible bugs and other possible issues.

Best regards.
    Oldsod.

Message Edited by Oldsod on 12-10-2008 07:49 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

zaswing Guest

Oldsod, I see NOTHING BAD in the instructions
    I suspect Krazykat went to Program FIles list instead of following the properties path.
    My pics were just elaborating the workflow you described.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information