Thread: ZA Security wont start after latest Windows Vista updates installed today 10 Dec 2008

bazasan Guest

Default ZA Security wont start after latest Windows Vista updates installed today 10 Dec 2008

Although ZA is configured to start automatically at startup, after installing the latest Vista updates it wont start automatically or via the desktop shortcut. When I try to start ZA from the shortcut, the 'pending' whirling circle appears on the desktop but nothing else happens. This continues until I shutdown or restart the machine at which point I get a dialogue box stating 'File System Error (1703741502)'.
    Prior to this, after installing the previous set of updates, Windows started blocking ZA at startup and I had to 'allow' the program to start.
    I've tried reinstalling ZA but it doesn't make any difference.

Operating System:
    Windows Vista Ultimate
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Message Edited by Bazasan on 12-10-2008 11:39 PM

bazasan Guest

Default Re: ZA Security wont start after latest Windows Vista updates installed today 10 Dec 2008

Resolved - carried out an uninstall, reg clean and 'clean' reinstall. Working OK now.

Default Re: ZA Security wont start after latest Windows Vista updates installed today 10 Dec 2008

See http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=83708.
    Apparently you are not alone.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

bazasan Guest

I reinstalled over the Widows updates i.e. didn't uninstall them, and all seems OK. It looks like the updates just disrupt existing ZAISS installlations and don't prevent it from running per se. In fact ZA now loads on startup and I don't have to 'allow' it as a blocked program, which is a bonus as I can now switch my machine on and leave it to boot itself, instead of having to wait to manually start ZA or risk leaving my machine unprotected.

Glad to hear things are straightened out.
    One never know what those updates actually do to the windows system until they are installed.
    Best regards.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

mhjessen Guest

Thsnks for the heads up on this, Oldsod!

There have been at least two instances this year where MS updates have caused some sort serious issue. I realize that testing for every possible configuration isn't reasonable, but I would have thought by now MS would have some sort of program available to vendors so they could pretest some of these updates prior to release into the wild. It certainly would go a long way towards preventing this sort thing. And, of course, were such a program to exist I would hope ZA would take advantage of it.

Just my humble opinion of course.

Thanks again for the heads up!

Mark

Actually MS releases all the details of the up and coming updated several days before they are ready to be released. As to whether or not the vendors look at the details is another story.
    But just prior (about a day or two) to when the new patches made public, these are available for the vendors for free. But in this situation the vendor has no rights to advise for any changes/edits to the up and coming patches.

Vendors can be part of the MS development team and view the actual unreleashed up and coming patches as they are getting created/edevolped. And even give imput to MS or make strong suggestions. But this is only available if the vendor is willing to pay monies to MS and actually have manpower to use such a participating team.

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

mhjessen Guest

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I suspected that was the case but wasn't sure. I would hope that a co. the size of CP would take full advantage of this but with today's shrinking margins it might not be happening for them. I wonder what the effects of vendors cost cutting will bring in 2009?

Sorry it's taking me some time replying, I blew out my right shoulder doing yardwork over the weekend and the resulting Bursitis makes using my KB difficult to say the least.

Thanks again for the info!

Sorry to hear about the Bursitis.
    But there is no yardwork over here for some months to come - just shovelling snow (which I do at my own pace).

Usually it is only the big time vendors do the MS participation as this is very costly for the fees and for the vendor's team upkeep. Most of the middle and almost every small vendor stays out, instead relying on the pre-release announcements.

Best regards, from cold Toronto (Canada).
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information