Hello

I have been using ZA for a bit over 2 years on PC with Win XP on SP3.

Subscription for ZA expired 2/11 and I ve been running it expired for last 5 weeks or so until earlier today when I renewed for another year, downloaded new ZA application, updated my libraries and then ran the AV and anti-spyware program which indicated to issues or problems.
Yes, I know I shouldn t allow a gap in subscription but there you go.

In the last few days, when I try to open files while in Internet Explorer 7 I click open and an error message.

"Windows cannot access specific device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access."

I can save the file and then get same error message if I try to open it from the same window while still in IE. However, if I exit IE and go directly to the file in the folders and double click, the file opens properly in the appropriate application.

Another test I did was to close ZA and then repeat the open file process while in IE and it works properly with the file opening the relevant application.
After this I started ZA again to secure the system.

To do a bit of problem solving I found this using Windows help ...

Symptom

When you try to start an application or try to open a potentially unsafe file, either from network drive or local drive you receive an error that states Windows cannot access the specific device and you may not have appropriate permission to write to the file.

Cause

This occurs when a change was made to the default Internet Explorer 7.0 security settings and the security was set not to enable applications and unsafe files to be opened. The default, recommended setting is to prompt before it opens applications or potentially unsafe files.

Resolution

1. Open Internet Explorer, click Tools and then click Internet Options.

2. On the Security tab, click Internet, and then click Custom level.

3. Search for "Launching applications and unsafe files", click to enable Prompt (recommended)

I went through this and the Prompt(recommended) was already enabled. I reset to Medium - high (default), but nothing changed after closing and reopening IE

To me this appears to be a ZA issue vs windows.
Help anyone?

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
Software Version:8.0
Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite