Thread: Downloads are corrupted and scripting in web pages blocked

mknielsen Guest

Default Downloads are corrupted and scripting in web pages blocked

I recently upgraded to Vista SP1 from XP SP3. I am using ZAS 8.0.059. Everything was fine with XP, but with Vista I am having all sorts of issues. First, all downloads seem to be blocked for some reason. Doesn't matter which web sites I to, only the fist couple hundred Kbytes and then stops. I have even set the security level of the firewall on the internet zone to off, but the result is the same.

The second problem I am seeing is that certain web sites with scripting or special plug ins do not load correctly, if at all. For example the World of Warcraft web site will not dysplay properly, with most images missing and the format/style of the page all wrong. The GIS mapping page for the Mohavie County Assessors office will not display the map of a property parcel. If I turn off the security of the firewall it still fails to load.

In both cases if I shutdown ZAS the problems go away. Files download just fine and web pages display and function correctly. I have tested both IE 7 and Firefox v2 and v3. Any ideas on what I can check/change next?

Operating System:Windows Vista Ultimate
    Software Version:7.1 (Vista)
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: Downloads are corrupted and scripting in web pages blocked

Most blocks and access issues are due to "Privacy" protection- cookie control, ad blocking, mobile code and the site list/ privacy advisor. Open ZA > Privacy > (you may experiment with/ adjust) with cookie control + ad blocking + mobile code control = to off. Also check your Site List - green check/ unlock red X-
    your programs that are having access issues. If these adjustments help - then this is where you need to work on.<hr>In ZA Program Control - Warcraft and Assessors may need more green checks/ allowances and possibly a reduction in 'program control' &gt; main &gt; reduce from standard 'high' to 'Medium.'[ the mapping programs may need server rights]
    Sometimes using IE instead of Firefox will help; firefox does have more script blocking capabilities - this is the reverse ( where firefox is more secure, but will hamper some access/ blockages
    to sites that you do want to get to).<hr>
    How to install programs in compatibility mode

If you have a program that used to work in an older version of Windows, but it won't install or won't run after installing on Vista or Windows 7, you can try installing it in compatibility mode. This will (sometimes) fool the application into thinking its running on the older OS and it will work fine. Here are the steps:
    1. If you're trying to install the program, right click the Setup file. If the program is installed already, locate the executable program file (usually somewhere in the Program Files folder) and right click it.
    2. In Vista, select Properties and then click the Compatibility tab. In Windows 7, select Troubleshoot Compatibility.
    3. In Vista, check the box that says &quot;Run this program in compatibility mode for&quot; and choose the OS on which it worked before from the drop-down box. In Windows 7, a wizard walks you through the steps.
    4. Click OK, and try to run the program again.<hr>In ZA see bottom left - click
      it &gt;
      ? Help
      = this is your User Guide - please read thru for Privacy protection, troubleshooting, etc.<hr>Click here &gt; http://forums.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/...ssage.id=73645<hr>If you have ZA Suite 8.0.059 then your software version is 8.0, not 7.1<hr>Upgrading an XP to Vista - may have it's own set of issues. When you have issues check for error codes and messages and then do a little 'search' for info. Hopefully your upgrade was done
      'properly.'

mknielsen Guest

None of the suggestions worked. Turning everything in privacy off still results in downloads being, essentially, blocked and web sites not working. I did not say I was having a problem with the game &quot;World of Warcraft&quot; nor did I mention an issue running any games or other programs. What I did say was that their web site would not display correctly if Zonealarm is running in either IE 7 or Firefox version 2 or version 3. I used that web site as an example and I can give many, many more.

I downloaded and installed the latest beta of ZAS and all of the problems I was experiancing went away. After installing the beta I did a few test to make sure everything worked as I expected. Then I restored my security policy to a time prior to when my problems with ZAS started and tested again. Everything contined to work fine. This tells me that the issues I am having are not with my policies nor my applications, but with the latest production release of ZAS.

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>MKNielsen wrote:
    I downloaded and installed the latest beta of ZAS and all of the problems I was experiancing went away. After installing the beta I did a few test to make sure everything worked as I expected. Then I restored my security policy to a time prior to when my problems with ZAS started and tested again. Everything contined to work fine. This tells me that the issues I am having are not with my policies nor my applications, but with the latest production release of ZAS.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Hi!latest beta does not include anymore ZA privacy control (they may be removed in the near future)May be this is why you experience no problem even with your problematic settings? :8}Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Thread Information