Thread: ZASS stopping Firefox loading in mid-page

accrabob Guest

Default ZASS stopping Firefox loading in mid-page

I haven't found another thread covering this exactly, though some seem to be a variation.

Firefox stops loading web pages intermittently, indicating "Done" when it clearly is not done. Sometimes it also fails in mid-download of a file, with the Firefox download manager indicating it was unable to read the file. These symptoms are different than a time-out.

If I close ZASS, I can go right back to the same page and it will load completely. Of course, that's not a solution I find safe.

I haven't figured out a pattern. I might be in a web site and opening different forum threads, and some load OK, others not. The ones that don't might load OK the next day, and ones that WERE OK then will have problems.

I am running ZASS 8.0.059.000, and Firefox 3.0.6.

I had no problem with Firefox v 3 until I started using ZASS 2 weeks ago (I had to remove Norton 360 or else throw my laptop into the ocean, and removing Norton seemed the more logical approach).

The ZonaAlarm community seems to be blaming Firefox; the Mozilla community blames ZoneAlarm.

I'd just like to know if anyone knows of a solution...or at least to know if anyone (Checkpoint or Mozilla) is working on a solution...or just finger-pointing.

I've made Firefox as trusted as it can be in the ZASS settings.

Bob

Operating System:Windows Vista Ultimate
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: ZASS stopping Firefox loading in mid-page

<blockquote><hr>AccraBob wrote:
    I haven't found another thread covering this exactly, though some seem to be a variation.

Firefox stops loading web pages intermittently, indicating "Done" when it clearly is not done. Sometimes it also fails in mid-download of a file, with the Firefox download manager indicating it was unable to read the file. These symptoms are different than a time-out.

If I close ZASS, I can go right back to the same page and it will load completely. Of course, that's not a solution I find safe.

I haven't figured out a pattern. I might be in a web site and opening different forum threads, and some load OK, others not. The ones that don't might load OK the next day, and ones that WERE OK then will have problems.

I am running ZASS 8.0.059.000, and Firefox 3.0.6.

I had no problem with Firefox v 3 until I started using ZASS 2 weeks ago (I had to remove Norton 360 or else throw my laptop into the ocean, and removing Norton seemed the more logical approach).

The ZonaAlarm community seems to be blaming Firefox; the Mozilla community blames ZoneAlarm.

I'd just like to know if anyone knows of a solution...or at least to know if anyone (Checkpoint or Mozilla) is working on a solution...or just finger-pointing.

I've made Firefox as trusted as it can be in the ZASS settings.

Bob

Operating System:
    Windows Vista Ultimate
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

<hr></blockquote>

Try this with the ZA and see if it makes any difference:

Start in the safe mode.
    The 'safePrograms.xml' has too many extras added in. Not needed or always wanted.
    And this safeprograms.xml itself could be the problem as there could be some error - which could affect the browser issue.
    I have been regularly cleaning out the safePrograms.xml file for years since the early days and yet have to see any issues - it may have even solved or avoided a few problems, so do not worry about editing this file!
    It is only a text based script file (as are .ini and .com and .bat files) so there is no real danger to editing this file (as opposed to editing the code based files such as the .exe or .dll).

Open the WINDOWS\system32\Zonelabs folder
    Copy the safePrograms.xml to the desktop
    Open the saPeprograms.xml found in the WINDOWS\system32\Zonelabs with the notepad.exe (Notepad) and edit it to look like this:

&lt;?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?&gt;
    &lt;ZoneLabsSettings version="1.0" safeProgramsVersion="1.2.5"&gt;
    &lt;ruleset start="afterstartup" name="runningruleset" stop="onshutdown"&gt;
    &lt;alerts&gt;
    &lt;suppression osfwSuppression="all"/&gt;
    &lt;/alerts&gt;
    &lt;applications osfwEnable="true" osfwSetting="true">
    &lt;default allowTrusted="ask" allowTrustedServer="ask" allowInternetServer="ask" allowInternet="ask" appsec="AskSD"/&gt;
    &lt;/applications&gt;
    &lt;/ruleset&gt;
    &lt;/ZoneLabsSettings&gt;

IMPORTANT!!
    You must have each of the orignial lines in the exact previous postion after the editing!
    They must not be moved but must still be in the original places seen on the notepad a before!
    My example does not translate properly into the forum post, so the correctness of the lines position is corrupt aznd not as it is seen!
    Please use the saved copy on the desktop as a guide to ensure the original lines are the same as before!
    Do not create any new gaps in the page!
    Basically the presets present are all removed - thus the main body of the information is to be removed and only leave the original command lines.

To remove the large body of the unwanted lines in the file quickly do this trick:
    Set the mouse cursor at the beginning of the first unwanted line, and left click the mouse.
    Then press the [Shift] key.
    Then set the cursor to the end of the unwanted text further down the page and left click the mouse.
    It should be shaded over.
    Now press the [Delete].
    It should be gone.
    If you could not do all at once it okay - just as much as you can at a time until you get till the end.
    (it is a long file).
    But remove all of the ZA's presets and just leave the left over as seen above.
    Remember to look at the saved copy to ensure the lines are exactly in place as before and with the VERY SAME SPACING as BEFORE with no new page breaks or lines breaks created.
    Very important!

Once that is finish, close the notepad and Yes the changes in the windows from the notepad.

Next open the Windows\Internet Logs folder.
    Delete the *.ldb and the iamdb.rdb and the backup.rdb files (this will remove the previous settings but at the same time this will remove any presets moved into these files).

Then delete the saved copy of safePrograms.xml and immediately clean the Recycle Bin.

Now with the presets in the ZA gone does the problem disappear?

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

accrabob Guest

Oldsod,

Thanks very much for the detailed instructions. I've done what you suggested....actually, the hardest part was getting booted in safe mode, since I have a Dell XPS M2010 which has a bluetooth keyboard only. It won't communicate with the main board until I reach the Vista login screen, so no way to interrupt the boot with an F8. I worked around that with MSCONFIG's boot option checkboxes.

Too early to tell whether your fix worked on my problem, but it was obvious ZASS noticed the change, since it bombarded my with lots of permission queries after reboot.

I'll observe the Firefox performance and report back.

Again, thanks.

Bob

Ok.
    Just make sure the safePrograms.xml looks like this to keep it intact:

Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

accrabob Guest

Oldsod,

Yes, that is what I did with one exception....

The third from final line, &quot;&quot;, is only indented 7 spaces. I understand that in this script, each indent should be 4 spaces, and it did look strange to me, but I reconfirmed that &quot;&quot; was only indented 7 spaces in the original file, while you would expect it should be indented 8 spaces. So I left it at 7.

Of course, I don't know how or when that error would have crept in, as I've never examined this file before. Do you think I should re-do the procedure and make it 8 spaces?

Bob

Bob, the indent for the /applications should be the same indent for the applications.
    Yes I know it looks funny, but the xml format style by ZA does do this consistantly (keeps using unusual indents and then does it consistantly through the entire file).

I wondered if the 'default' entry for global setting is still needed or it it could be removed - to be one the safe side I left it in.
    Oldsod.
    Best regards.
    oldsod

skalman2004 Guest

Hi!

I tried the &quot;fix&quot;. It don't work for a longer period (a few hours).

Yesterday I uninstalled the ZoneAlarm Pro (latest update available at time), and falled back on Windows (Vista) internal firewall (I'm behind a hardware firewall to, so I'm pretty safe...).

No hangs on loading, no Firefox process that can't be killed by purpose by Process Explorer.

So far so good...

For the moment it seems that it was ZoneAlarm Pro that caused the problem (a problem that has annoyed me for about 6 months...).

I'll be back in a few days and tell you all about if it's still OK!

/anders

Hi!if you have noticed the OP used ZASS and not ZAPRO. Your casemay bequite different. What you describe is typically caused by either ZA corrupted settings orconflicts with third party software running on the system. If you want to troubleshoot the issue then you will need to boot the system with ZAPRO and standard MS drivers/services, reset your firefoxand check if you can replicate the issue. Only then you can safely assume you have an issue with ZAPRO. First you should resetFirefox settingsand run it without any add-on Thenboot your system clean of third party software,like this:1.) Click Start -&gt; Run
    2.) Type MSConfig in the run box and click OK
    3.) Once in MSConfig, click the Startup Tab
    4.) Remove the checks from everything except ZLClient
    5.) Click the Services Tab
    6.) Place a check in "Hide All Microsoft Services"
    7.) Now remove checks from everything other than TrueVector Internet
    Monitor, and click OK.
    8.) Restart your computer
    NOTE: You can place your computer back into a normal startup process by
    going back into msconfig and choosing the Normal Startup option on the
    General tab.
    Hope this helpsCheers,FaxEDIT: malware can also cause these type of hangs. Check your system. See here below, run MBAM and superantispyware:http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...essage.id=3787

Message Edited by fax on 06-13-2009 10:10 AM

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

jcarerra Guest

There are threads discussing this both here and on the Mozilla Firefox support forum, although it does not always occur in mid page. Most often it is when a new link/bookmark is clicked. The discussions are frustrating in that they end up finger pointing to "the other guy," or are filled with try this, try that, links to general troubleshooting pages, etc, etc, but never a solution.

Now I am having about 5 instances per day, each requiring reboot to clear. It is well known issue. Yet ZA and Mozilla neither give any indication they are working together trying to eliminate the cause. Nope. No way. And it has been going on for several years.

There may be some variations, but my symptoms are: you are working merrily in FF, clicking links, opening bookmarks, etc. Suddenly, you click on the next one, and the circle on the tab just runs and runs and runs--no page ever loads. You try a different link/bookmark. Same thing; page never opens. No link, no bookmark will open. Very infrequently, the symptom will occur part way through a page load, then description above and below apply--you just got a piece of a page before the "I ain't gonna load any page" begins.

You can close Firefox (File>Exit or the "X") and it appears to "go away" just as always. But if you try to reopen, you get a dialog saying it is already running. Sure enough, you look in task manager or anything else that shows processes, and there it is. And you cannot end it, other than by reboot. I mean EVERY means of doing a task kill has been tried--by command line with name or PID, and by numerous programs having a kill function.

When you command shutdown, the first couple of things disappear off screen normally, then machine just sits there (I think trying to end the errant FF process). If you wait a VERY LONG TIME, it ultimately does finish the shutdown, but I usually just hard kill the power.

Firefox does not "hang," per se, as every function and click will work, EXCEPT when you click something that is to load a page, it simply does not go out and get the data for the page...just sits and spins. It may be working almost normally, except for the page-won't-load AND the fact that the process is now unkillable. But you can open any menu, or do anything you want...you just can't get it to go load a page. I have opened a packet sniffer during some of these instances, and there is no http request being issued out the net to get the page. Either Firefox is refusing/blocking or Zonealarm or something is preventing the "I want this page" from even getting sent out.

What can't somebody fix this?

Thread Information