Thread: AntiVirus/Antispyware Causes Windows XP hang when configuring a backup set.

jeffdesantis Guest

Default AntiVirus/Antispyware Causes Windows XP hang when configuring a backup set.

When I try to schedule a backup using BounceBack Ultimate,
    my computer hangs with the display "Scanning for Backup Devices Please Wait" when I save the changes for my scheduled backup.
    I have discovered that this problem does not occur if I disable the antivirus and antispyware functions in my ZoneAlarm Extreme Security Suite.
    I am running Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 3, ZoneAlarm Extreme Security verison 8.0.298.000, and BounceBack Ultimate v 9.0.0.121 build U022709.
    All updates for Windows and ZoneAlarm are current.
    Any suggestions?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Extreme Security

Default Re: AntiVirus/Antispyware Causes Windows XP hang when configuring a backup set.

Hihave you tried to add the executable(s) or directory(ies) of "BounceBack Ultimate" to the exception of the antivirus (ZA antivirus/antispyware tab --> advanced options --> Virus Managment --> Exceptions --> Add file - see examples in the pop-up window -.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

jeffdesantis Guest

Default Re: AntiVirus/Antispyware Causes Windows XP hang when configuring a backup set.

I added all the directories and subdirectories to the antivirus exceptions.The problem still occurs.
    I have also determined that the system does not hang if antispyware is enabled but antivirus is disabled.

Hi!yes, thats why I was suggesting to exclude something on this program. But probably something else in involved.Have a look at the ZA logs to see if anything is been blocked....Have you tried to check diretly with ZA technical support or the software producers?Here: www.zonealarm.com/tsformCheers,Fax

jeffdesantis Guest

Hi Fax,
    Before I posted, I reported the problem the CMS, the BounceBack software vendor. So far, they have assigned a case number, no other action.
    I will also report this to ZA tech support using the link you provided, I don't know why I couldn't find the link earlier.
    If someone ever comes up with a solution, I'll post in this thread.
    Thanks for your help.
    -Jeff

Thank you!:8}Pleasekeep us posted.Cheers,Fax

jeffdesantis Guest

Under the guidance of ZA technical support, I went through several iterations of adding file paths to the ZA Virus Management Exceptions lists, including C:\. None of the exceptions prevented BounceBack Ultimate from hanging my system while ZA was running. Disabling On-Access Scanning did prevent a system hang with BounceBack Ultimate while ZA was running. But disabling On-Access Scanning defeats the purpose of having anti-virus software.

ZA Technical Support suggested continuing the investigation by telephone, but I had discovered that using BounceBack Professional instead of BounceBack Ultimate as my backup software while ZA was running would allow me to resume a regular backup schedule. So I instructed ZA Technical Support to close my problem with this workaround since I didn't want to spend any more time on this problem.

CMS Products, the provider of BounceBack Ultimate, never responded to my problem report and two follow up requests for a status update other than an initial email acknowledging the receipt of my problem and assigning it a case number.

Default Re: AntiVirus/Antispyware Causes Windows XP hang with BounceBack ---> WORKAROUND

Hi!thank you very much for taking the time to post back witha detailed feedback and workaround. :8}I am sure it will be useful for other users with the same issue! Cheers,Fax

Thread Information