I finally figured out the fix to this issue. Symptom: With Zonealarm running I open outlook and mail sends and receives normally.I try to send and receive manually and I see an error during the send receive on the bottom right corner of outlook I double click the icon and see an error being reporting in Outlook "the connection to the server was interrupted'
The version of zonealarm and Outlook shouldn't matter but here is my setup:Zonealarm version 7.0.483.000 Driver version: 7.0.483.000, to
find the version choose overview then product infoOutlook 2003email host: optonline.net
The Fix: I added my inbound and outbound mail server names from Outlook into zonealarmSteps:1) open Outlook and choose tools, account setting2) Double click on your email account - in my case it was optonline.net3) copy the incoming and outgoing mail server names- in my case they were both the same mail.optonline.net4) Close Outlook5) Open zonealarm and choose the firewall option, zones tab6) Add host/site7) Trusted8) Host name (paste the incoming mail server name here)9) Description (paste the incoming mail server name here) (this is only for reference)10) repeat steps 8 and 9 for the outgoing mail server if
different from the incoming11) Apply12) Open outlook and test.
This fixed my issue after reading everyone elses suggestions to this specific error.
Operating System:Windows XP Pro
Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)