Thread: outlook - the connection to the server was interrupted

misguy Guest

Default outlook - the connection to the server was interrupted

I finally figured out the fix to this issue. Symptom: With Zonealarm running I open outlook and mail sends and receives normally.I try to send and receive manually and I see an error during the send receive on the bottom right corner of outlook I double click the icon and see an error being reporting in Outlook "the connection to the server was interrupted'

The version of zonealarm and Outlook shouldn't matter but here is my setup:Zonealarm version 7.0.483.000 Driver version: 7.0.483.000, to
    find the version choose overview then product infoOutlook 2003email host: optonline.net

The Fix: I added my inbound and outbound mail server names from Outlook into zonealarmSteps:1) open Outlook and choose tools, account setting2) Double click on your email account - in my case it was optonline.net3) copy the incoming and outgoing mail server names- in my case they were both the same mail.optonline.net4) Close Outlook5) Open zonealarm and choose the firewall option, zones tab6) Add host/site7) Trusted8) Host name (paste the incoming mail server name here)9) Description (paste the incoming mail server name here) (this is only for reference)10) repeat steps 8 and 9 for the outgoing mail server if
    different from the incoming11) Apply12) Open outlook and test.
    This fixed my issue after reading everyone elses suggestions to this specific error.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

Default Re: outlook - the connection to the server was interrupted

Thank you for your Feedback..
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

jillibilli Guest

You are a genius. Thanks!!! I was online with optimum trying to figure out why I couldn't get email. The tech discovered that ZA was the culprit. I hadn't made any changes but all of a sudden it decided to no longer allow my optimum email to send or receive in Outlook. (gmail was working fine) I've been tearing my hair out and was about to dump ZA for good.
    Your solution worked! Thanks again.

klcntlc Guest

Just another update for the latest installation of Zone Alarm Free (8.0.298.000). I too began problems with Outlook 2003 since the latest installation of Zone Alarm Free. All of a sudden not receiving emails. I could send but not receive. Follow the steps as was laid out and it will work. Thanks for the info.

Thread Information