Thread: Firewall blocks access to HP scanner??

janks Guest

Default Firewall blocks access to HP scanner??

I use a wireless HP printer, copier, scanner. Everything thing works perfectly with the exception of the scanner. When I try to send a scan back to my computer through
    the network, the scanner is not able to "see" the computer when the scan is being sent. In order to scan a document into the computer, I must first manually turn off the firewall and the scan proceeds perfectly. Is there any way to set Zone Alarm so that I don't have to turn the firewall off before sending a scan back to the computer?

Operating System:Windows Vista Ultimate
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

zaswing Guest

Default Re: Firewall blocks access to HP scanner??

Try to find which HP application on the programs list corresponds to the scanner and give it trusted server rights because it needs to listen for connection from your scanner.
    At least that's how it works with my Canon scanner

Message Edited by zaswing on 04-01-2009 07:29 PM

janks Guest

I have changed every HP
    application to trusted status and it doesn't seem to help. What's funny is that there is another computer on the network and it allows
    a scan to be
    received without turning off the firewall. I'm mystyfied.

zaswing Guest

I just noticed two things I missed earlier

1. Vista. I know nothing about Vista, sorry.
    2. Wireless. Look on the Firewall, Zones tab. Most likely, being wireless, the default ZA setting would be INTERNET. Which blocks NetBios and lots of other holes. So, at least temporarily change to TRUSTED and see if the scan comes in.

Turn on logging. Then read the logs. What do they say, what IPs, what ports, what application - all that should help figure out what to change.

Finally, if the other computer also has ZA, you can see what settings are there and set yours the same.

janks Guest

Thanks. I checked the logs and unblocked the correct UDP port and the problem is resolved.

zaswing Guest

Very nice. Thanks for reporting back

Thread Information