Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows XP System Restore Fails

mikesc Guest

Default Windows XP System Restore Fails

System Restore refuses to set the PC back to an earlier point. By clearing all points (in disc cleanup), then creating one and restoring to that one point it works. But next day it refuses to restore. There are implications in chat rooms that security suites can interfere with SR.
    I am running XP SP3, fully up to date, with ZA Security Suite 8.0.298.000. Any ideas, please?

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Charles_B Guest

Default Re: Windows XP System Restore Fails

All you are doing here is freeing up disk space and removing all but the most recent restore point.Most likely your your System Restore could be corrupt.

You could try this : Right click on my Compter\Properties\System Restore and Turn off System Restore on all drives.Turn back on and I let it create System Check.

I was having same issues as you.To confirm that System Restore will corrupt in time.I went to Windows Live Care online scanner today and ran Clean Up.It removed 4 invalid registry items found.It created a restore point : " Clean Registry with Windows Live Care safety scanner ".

When back to Live Care scanner and rescan and found nothing, then went back into System Restore ran restore point.Restoration Complete.

Then went to Windows Live Care online scanner ran it, found 4 invalid registry items found.So this confirms that System Restore works in ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.298.000 .

We need to purge System Restore frequently .They will corrupt.

XP SP3
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.298.000
    TrueVector version:8.0.298.000
    Driver version:8.0.298.000
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:980374524
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.209.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200903.5525
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.1429

mikesc Guest

Thanks for reply. I have just run Windows Live Care as described. It cleared lots of temp files and fixed 217 registry anomolies. I will keep an eye on SR, and report back later. Thanks again.

Charles_B Guest

Did you Turn off System Restore on all drives.Turn back on and I let it create System Check.

It is also good to turn off when you do a anti-virus and spyware scan in safe mode with networking, so as not to reintroduce malware into your OS.Than turn SR back on.

mikesc Guest

Yes, I turned SR on/off.
    I will also do that for a virus check.
    Had to use IE as (perhaps understandably) Live Care didn't want to work with Firefox.
    Thanks again.

mikesc Guest

Did everything as directed, and SR still fails after about one day. One Care indicates about 1.7 Gb of temp files. Can these be implicated, and where are they all?

Charles_B Guest

I had turn ticket to tech support and was instructed to turn off system restore and then turn back on to create new restore point.

Try turning off and than turn back on and let it create two or three System Checkpoints and than try SR.

May be you could contact ZA technical support if problem not resolved at:
    www.zonealarm.com/tsform

Charles_B Guest

Charles_B Guest

According to Microsoft, the following features are restored when using System Restore:

* Windows Registry
    * Local Profiles
    * COM+ DB
    * WFP.dll cache
    * WMI DB
    * IIS Metabase

According to Microsoft, the following is not restored when using the System Restore feature:

* DRM settings
    * Passwords in the SAM hive
    * WPA settings (Windows authentication information is not restored)
    * Specific directories/files listed in the Monitored File Extensions list in the System Restore section of the Platform SDK e.g. 'My Documents' folder.
    * Any file types not monitored by System Restore like personal data files (e.g. .doc, .jpg, .txt etc.)
    * Items listed in both Filesnottobackup and KeysnottoRestore (HKLM\System\Controlset001\Control\Backuprestore\F ilesnottobackup and Keysnottorestore) in the registry.
    * User-created data stored in the user profile
    * Contents of redirected folders

Why won't System Restore work on my machine?
    Here are some basic troubleshooting step to find why System Restore is not working.

1. Verify that the System Restore service is running on your computer. Here's how:

A. Go to Start>> Run. Type in: cmd [Enter] or click OK.
    B. At the command prompt, type in: net start [Enter

mikesc Guest

Just discovered by pure chance that ZASS is logging an OS Firewall alert (blocked) for a global windows hook from ATI control panel/atiptaxx.exe every 2 seconds. I have read on another forum (somewhere) that such activity can fill up the disc space allocated to SR very quickly.
    So, I will now find out what is going on with ATI and its need to get onto the internet. I assume that it wants to update a driver?
    Any ideas?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information