Thread: Internet access stops all of a sudden

catcherr Guest

Default Internet access stops all of a sudden

I have this problem which started a few weeks ago, and I haven't made any changes to my system.
    Eventually I even decided to format the windows partition, and the problem still continues.

While I am gaming in Unreal Tournament 2004 on a multiplayer server, all of a sudden the screen would freeze, also the desktop and no program will respond.
    The only way to get the desktop and programs running responding again is to disconnect from the internet (I am on Cable and with a dialer). If the dialer window responds then I can
    disconnect from there. If not, then after I disconnect the modem, immediately all programs are responding again.

At this point, I can connect to the internet again, but then Firefox (*which worked fine before the game freeze*), will not respond. For example opening tabs, even hovering the mouse cursor over menues, it all wont respond, then it might respond for a seconds and then get stuck again. And when I disconnect from the internet, immediately Firefox will become responsive again.
    Even if I restart the computer / create a new Firefox profile / run Firefox in safe mode, the browser will not respond when connecting to the internet! Only happens after that game freeze.
    Internet Explorer 8 browser has no problem like Firefox, it is responding just fine, even after that game freeze.

I found out that after exiting zone alarm, and again connecting to the internet, Firefox will be responsive again. At this point I could create a new profile, restart, and then Firefox will work again with Zone Alarm running. *Until the next game freeze*.

Now I tried to figure out when these game freezes happen, and it seems to me, though not 100% sure, that it only happens when I have Firefox downloading one, two, or more files, at a speed of at least 150Kb/s.

From this it seems to be related to either *Zone Alarm configuration/version*, Firefox or the UT2004 game, or maybe something completely different?
    I am lost and I want to be able to download files And game...
    I have asked Firefox support but they don't seem to be of any help, they just directed me to an article about Firefox hanging, which did not help me.

I have a system with updated drivers, program versions, windows security hotfixes etc... I have no idea what causes this, please help me find out and fix this.
    I do not need a general article, but specific help, so I will provide any information needed in order to solve this weird issue.

Thanks you

I also ran a program to test CPU and RAM, just to be sure... and Prime95 works fine with no errors for 2 hours. There is no problem with the GPU, I can play SP games fine for hours.

I have Zone Alarm Security Suite v8.0.298.000
    I know there is a newer version, v8.0.298.035, but dont think it contains any critical update, it does not even show on the release history page.

ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:8.0.298.000
    TrueVector version:8.0.298.000
    Driver version:8.0.298.000
    Anti-virus engine version:6.0.2.678
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:986257798
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.209.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200906.6065
    AntiSpam version:6.0.0.1429

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:8.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Charles_B Guest

Default Re: Internet access stops all of a sudden

catcherr wrote :

Even if I restart the computer / create a new Firefox profile / run Firefox in safe mode, the browser will not respond when connecting to the internet! Only happens after that game freeze.
    Internet Explorer 8 browser has no problem like Firefox, it is responding just fine, even after that game freeze.

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Have you tried this way.

Having Issues with ZoneAlarm & Firefox

http://forums.zonealarm.org/zonelabs...message.id=210

Maybe this could help.

I have no other suggestion other than this to resolve your issue.

ZoneAlarm staff does not monitor this board. We are all users here.

If you have a valid license you can can contact free of charge ZoneAlarm Technical Support and Customer Service at :

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...ce-support.htm

Technical Support Live Chat
    Available Mon-Fri 8am-5:30pm PST

Customer Service Live Chat
    Available Mon-Fri 5am-7:45pm PST
    Available Sat-Sun 6am-6pm PST

Have a good Day

catcherr Guest

Yes I have tried a complete uninstall of Firefox, then a fresh install of the latest version.
    Then I manually installed and configured all of of the options/add ons. I only have several add ons which have no reported problems with.
    Although since then, I upgraded (only from 3.0.10 to 3.0.11)

It just happened again, I played that game while Firefox was running and I was not downloading anything.
    Then I went to desktop, downloaded a file and went back to the game, after a few seconds the game froze.
    I went back to desktop which wasn't that responsive, windows task manager, then ended firefox.exe, gamename.exe, and then I clicked disconnect on the dialer options.
    After a minute, the desktop was active again and all was responsive.

So it means the second after I disconnected from the internet, all was responsive again...

I think I will just try to download with firefox while zonealarm will be uninstalled, then if the game will not freeze while firefox is opened and downloading, I will just try a different firewall.

I have given all the information and i'm sorry no one can figure this out, it is indeed a strange problem...

Just a thought, could it be related to the ISP/Dialer/Specific option in the Dialer, or some option I need to change in ZoneAlarm regarding the ISP/Dialer/Connection Type?

Could you direct me to the link for the live chat please? Do I have to registered at 'MyZone'?

Thank you for your time.

Message Edited by catcherr on 06-14-2009 04:07 AM

Message Edited by catcherr on 06-14-2009 04:09 AM

Charles_B Guest

If you have a " valid license " you can contact free of charge ZoneAlarm Technical Support and Customer Service at :

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...ce-support.htm

Technical Support Live Chat
    Available Mon-Fri 8am-5:30pm PST

Or

Thank you for contacting Customer Service or Tech Support

Currently live chat is closed.

Click Here to contact technical support by email.

http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en...pport-form.htm

No other suggestion, Sorry

Good Luck
    Have a nice Day

Message Edited by Charles_B on 06-14-2009 07:21 AM

Thread Information