Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about latest ZISS 7 update

hsel Guest

Default Question about latest ZISS 7 update

Heya,
    I was just curious if the issue concerning BSOD's after updating ZISS 7's antivirus/antispyware has been resolved. It may have been due to ATi drivers, but I thought that potential cause for the BSOD had been fixed earlier. So has it been fixed in the new rev? I'll make sure to clear out SpySweeper 5.5 before installing and perhaps System Mechanic 7 as well although I have the latest version of that so the install can proceed. (theoretically as I've had TrueVector issues.) My only issue with ZISS 7 were BSOD's with hard errors after I updated the antivirus/antispyware definitions. I'd be very appreciative if someone could tell me before I install it given the BSOD's. The only way to stop those were to uninstall in Safe Mode. I'd rather not go through that again. LOL
    Thanks!hselburn

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Question about latest ZISS 7 update

Hi!I didn't have any BSOD after upgrading to 362. But this is really machine dependent. You will for sure read here about horror story on the upgrade (been a support forum) but the only way to know if it will work for you its to install it...Not sure why you still use SS and SM they have been reported to create problems with ZASS before and they add very little to the protection of ZASS 7. They can slow down the machine unnecessarily, create problems to clean out malware (fighting each other for resources and HD access). I would reccomend to remove them completely before upgarding to latest ZASS. Only after you see that ZASS works as it should you can install back (if you really need to)Also use the SS cleaner to remove SS. Since SS drivers may be difficult to remove. You can find it here:http://support.webroot.com/ics/suppo...asp?deptID=776Search (top left box) for 'sscleanup'After removing SS and SM, run a registry/system cleaner, ccleaner is good and FREE (http://www.ccleaner.com/download/downloadpage.aspx?f=3)Re-download the new installer from here (and do NOT use any download managers):http://www.zonelabs.com/zasuitedownload/ Install with default settings, do not alter them....Once rebooted manual update the antivirus/antispyware signature ('update now' under the antivirus/antispyware tab)After the update perform a full antivirus/antispyware scan.Cheers,FaxEDIT: spelling (sccleanup should read sscleanup)

Message Edited by fax on 07-10-2007 06:38 AM

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

hsel Guest

Hi,
    I was using SpySweeper and SM7 as I was using ZASS 6.5 until I tried to install ZASS 7 and had the BSOD's. I could not reinstall ZASS 6.5 so I thought I'd keep the others around until I could get ZASS 7 up and running properly. I'll make sure I have the latest ATi drivers installed too. I know that the latest Catalyst driver is v7.6. One question though, is there a guide on how to set up the AntiSpyware/AntiVirus so I get the same protection? SM7 does other things (defragging memory and such), but SpySweeper is AntiSpyware/AntiVirus only and if I can
    get ZASS7 installed without the BSOD's after updating the antivirus defs, that would be really appreciated. The guide could be in a similar format to the forum posts about how to install/uninstall ZASS. (And I really appreciate how quickly you respond to my forum posts!)
    Thanks!hselburn

Hi!I don't think there is a manual of the perfect update/upgrade...In case of BSOD you should have contacted ZA technical support and troubleshoot the issue with them.Apart from what recommended before I can only suggest to follow also the manual uninstall instruction posted here to be sure you have removed all ZA left overs:http://forum.zonealarm.com/zonelabs/...hread.id=48347(from point 12 onwards)Cheers,Fax

hsel Guest

Actually, I did contact Tech Support and I will probably be emailing them again with an update. The guide idea was just a suggestion as it would help people who've been using other Antispyware apps to configure ZASS 7 and dump the other software.

Thanks!hselburn

Hi!Software is always evolving... due to malware. Something good today may be bad tomorrow...Its a matter of slow adjustment by the user... I did learn myself that more software does not mean more protection, on the contrary it often means more trouble, conflicts and problems... You need however to choose the right software. Up to version 6.5 you really needed complementary tools to stay protected with version 7 you don't actually need them. Security tools are getting more and more complicated and instrusive and as a general rule you should not have more than one tool hooking at kernel level realtime... this is more a OS limit than SS, ZA or whatever security tool limit.Of course, it may work is some cases.. but the trouble is not worth the effort.Cheers,Fax

hsel Guest

Hi!
    Well I finally got ZASS7 to work! (version 362) and I see alot of the issues others are reporting. Multiple Scanning Process.exes, very slow startup/shut down if it even does shut down. As you know, I couldn't get the previous version to install so I have to use 362 until a fix is ready, but at least I have ZASS 7 working! BTW, is there anything I can look for to help speed it up, it definitely slowed my system down. Perhaps not block cookies, but I usually do block those, setting it to medium, not max. Oh! I noticed that the file size under AntiVirus files to skip if larger than is set to 8MB by default. What size do you recommend, as 8MB seems like a pretty small file size, heck, the ZASS installer is bigger than that! LOL (Although, I don't think I've ever gotten an infected ZASS file. ) Your assistance as always is appreciated! At least this **bleep**er's installed and updating without BSODs! Now if it would only shut down properly. I prefer not to have to force a shut down, not the safest practice in the world. (understatement.) Eventually, I'll figure out how to configure the AntiSpyware section to work like the SpySweeper shields, or someone will post a guide, whichever comes first.
    Thanks!hselburn

hsel Guest

Hello,
    I've discovered I have the old Windows Firewall still seems to work even though turned off after installing ZASS. This could be why I and others like myself are finding ZASS7 really slows downs systems. That and the fact it can use over 200MB of RAM at times! (I may have 1GB of ram but try to run ZASS, Outlook and Explorer at the same time. Yeah right. LOL) If you could please refresh my memory on how to deal with Windows Firewall in this situation, I would really appreciate it very much! (Hopefully this does not require me to uninstall and reinstall ZASS although I seem to remember that it does. I just don't know if I can do that successfully considering what the previous version put me through.)
    Thanks!hselburn

hsel Guest

I've noticed that while the Windows Firewall says it's off, if you open the Windows Firewall control panel, and click on the advanced tab, it says my network card is enabled for the firewall. Should I disable those? Also, some exceptions are listed in the Windows Firewall. Would deleting all the settings in that box be helpful to running ZASS 7 properly?

Hi!not sure I understand what you are trying to say....Windows Security C. should report that Zone Alarm Security center firewall is ON (click on the it and expand to read the addittional information written). Also in ZA ---> Firewall tab --> Advanced ---> An option "disableXP firewall" should be selected.If underthe firewall in WSC it is reported that windows firewall is active insted of ZASS firewall. Than you need:1. Uncheck "Load ZA atstartup" (under overview -- Preferences)2. Reboot3. Enable Windows Firewall4. Load ZASS manually and check back "Load ZA... at startup"Cheers,Fax

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information