Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BSOD while installing ZA Free on Win Vista Home Premium

jooliaan Guest

Angry BSOD while installing ZA Free on Win Vista Home Premium

I have just bought a Dell Inspiron 1720 laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium as OS.
    First thing (after a full Windows Update) has been to remove McAfee IS. Second thing has been (trying) installing ZoneAlarm Free (and yes, I have disabled Windows Firewall first...)
    Before the end of the installation I got a BSOD. Rebooted in Safe Mode, uninstalled ZoneAlarm, rebooted again and tried to install ZoneAlarm for the second time. Same thing. A BSOD just before to get the request of rebooting for finish the installation. Rebotted again in Safe Mode and uninstalled ZA for the second time. Now I'm using (ouch!) the Windows Firewall.
    I can't know the license key because I didn't had the chance to see ZoneAlarm running on my laptop.. Please, could you be so kind to give me some indication about how solve this extremely annoying issue? I do not want using any other firewall than ZoneAlarm.

Thanks in advance
    jooliaan

ZA FREE: 7.1 (Vista)
    True Vector Version: 7.1.078.000

Antivirus: AVG Anti Malaware 7.5.484

Inspiron 1720 configuration:
    http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/839/appunti02px1.jpg

Message Edited by jooliaan on 08-30-2007 08:25 AM

Default Re: BSOD while installing ZA Free on Win Vista Home Premium

After uninstalling the McAfee, you need to use the McAfee Removal Tool to clean some remaining drivers, files and registry keys.

http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/displayDoc....goryLog=1&HotT

download url is:

https://us.mcafee.com/root/MCPR2.exe

Run and reboot. Clean the temp folder and run the disk cleaner.Now try the ZA.

Cheers,
    Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

jooliaan Guest

Thanks for the tip. I've done what you did suggest but nothing changes. I still have a BSOD while installing ZA Free

Any other suggestion?

TIA!

First, make sure these ZA folders are deleted. You may have to do that in the safe mode.

WINDOWS\ Internet Logs

Program Files\Zone Labs

WINDOWS\system32\ Zonelabs

It does sound like a driver issue. But it is a new machine.

What is the code and numbers when the BSOD happens? We need those to help figure out what is going on. That is the only way to decipher this problem. The ones that appear in the BSOD itself. Did you write these down? We need that information. MS and many windows sites have lists of information for each of the codes and their solutions.

A small chance that the ZA getting installed in the safe mode will work. But no guarantees.

I have to go out and will be back in about 7 hours.
    Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 08-31-2007 10:08 AM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Just thought of something. You have an Italian Windows. Is the ZA in Italian or is it an english version? Just wondering if the language difference could be the issue.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

tvhippy Guest

I've had the same problem installing the new ZA free for Vista. It's with Vista Home on my neighbor's brand new Acer laptop. Myself I hate Vista and would have trashed it and put XP on, but it's his Laptop. BSOD around the end of install, rebooted BSOD just as it finishing booting. Booted into safe mode and tried to uninstall got BSOD. Good thing I imaged the drive before it was ever booted for the first time, I got it back to out of the box new condition.

I'm a afraid to even try to install it again, don't know anything I could do different. The only thing I did to it before ZA free was I uninstalled Norton Security Trial and installed AVG free, that went smoothly. This stupid thing had over 75 possesses running on the first boot, gotta love Vista. :-(

Unfortunately with the ZA free, there is no Technical Support to consult over the BSOD on Vista. If that was possible, then the Technical Support would have a lot more information and ZL could do some patch or release a better and more acceptable version.
    Unfortunately, the BSOD by the ZA free on the Vista issue has to be traced by the users themselves. I really doubt that many users are willing to put that much effort into that areas, and will probably just uninstall the ZA free and move on to another free or paid firewall. I would do the same myself.
    I agree about the Vista- it is still a child compared to the mature XP and I will not consider Vista until a few years pass. It does have isssues and driver shortage and some software problems. Perhaps the next new "super" windows OS will be released by then and I will be able to skip Vista completely.
    Cheers, Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 09-03-2007 02:22 AM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

tvhippy Guest

I installed ZA Free on Vista Ultimate in a Virtual Machine and it worked fine, no BSOD. It would not let me download the installer, I could only download and install, not sure the problem there. I really like to save all my installs, so I can install off line if needed.

Still afraid to try it on my neighbor's new laptop again. This is the first major problem I've had with ZA Free and I've been using it since version 2.6. I really hate Vista, it's a steaming pile.

Thanks

I can see the ZA working in a virtual mcahine and not in an actual installation. The two are different- not until the fw has a chance to actually be installed in the real enviroment and hook into the system and get it hands dirty, can it be determined if it will work or not. Meanwhile there are few other fw alternatives and more choices are always appearing.

I agree with the Vista issue- maybe it is still not quite finished, as is the case with all microsoft new OSes. Usually the first or second service pack has things straightened out and running smooth.
    Cheers,Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

jooliaan Guest

Hello, thanks again for your suggestions.

I've done what you did suggest (deleted WINDOWS\ Internet Logs - Program Files\Zone Labs - WINDOWS\system32\Zonelabs) but I'm still having the same issue.

Unfortunately I didn't write down the BSOD error code (I'm sorry) and it is not possible to install ZA Free in Safe Mode (Windows says that it can't start the TrueVector service while in Safe Mode).

My Vista HP is in Italian and also the copy of ZA Free which I'm trying to install is the Italian one.

Hope this informations may give you the chance to help me

Thanks again

Cheers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information