Thread: ZA Firewall is blocking ZA AVScan from accessing files

gasplat Guest

Default ZA Firewall is blocking ZA AVScan from accessing files

I just upgraded to 7.0.362 (for some reason automatic upgrades did not make this happen earlier
    ..... but that is another issue).
    I downloaded and ran the new install selecting "Upgrade" as my option. Now when I try to run an AV scan, I get a "HIGH" security alert for each and every file that zonealarm attempts to scan. The text is:C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\avsys\ScanningProc ess.exe (ScanningProcess.exe) event=0 subevent=0 class=1("system", "", "" )
    <-added a space before the close paren so as not to trigger a smiley.Application: ScanningProcess.exe
    This is then followed by a bunch of identical messages except the last entry is"C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe" , "", "" ) instead of ("system", "", "" )

I have to keep clicking through for various system entries and then various file entries (the file being scanned replaces the "system" info in the last set of () ). I have checked and ScanningProcess.exe
    is already marked as being "Super Trusted" under program control. Needless to say it is not practical to do a virus scan when I have to "allow" each and every file touch.
    It smells like an "uninstall and install fresh" but I'd really rather avoid that if I can.
    Suggestions?

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Antivirus

Message Edited by GaSplat on 09-09-2007 10:46 AM

Message Edited by GaSplat on 09-09-2007 10:50 AM

Default Re: ZA Firewall is blocking ZA AVScan from accessing files

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>GaSplat wrote:
    I just upgraded to 7.0.362 (for some reason automatic upgrades did not make this happen earlier..... but that is another issue).
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Hi!autoupdate didnot make the shift earlier because some users are experiencing issues with version 362and automatic update has been disabled for that version.Never update unless you are warned by the automatic update function in ZA. This is the best strategy to avoid problems with ZASS.A bug fix release will be released soon (no precise ETA but a matter of days/weeks)if you don't want to wait just revert back to version 337 after you have "clean uninstalled" version 362.How to clean Uninstall 362:http://www2.nohold.net/noHoldCust542...n_install.htmlTo install previous version:http://www2.nohold.net/noHoldCust542...structZAP.htmlHope this helps.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

gasplat Guest

I got the update and applied it, restarted the computer, and tried to run a scan. At first it just sat there doing nothing. If you viewed update a dialog opened but it did not show the time ticking or any files being scanned. Process Explorer confirmed the system was idle and nothing was going on. I &quot;skipped&quot; and closed the dialog and tried again. This time it immediately started but I got the exact same alerts constantly poping up as I experienced with version 362.
    I read another post that indicated there was a possibility of the database being corrupt. I suspect I should have selected a clean install instead of an upgrade when I updated. Oh well. Do you recommend I delete the existing database and see if that fixes it? Is the 7.0.408 version a succcessful version or if I have to uninstall and install clean, should I drop back to the 337 version instead?
    Thanks for your help.

gasplat Guest

Added note: MS Security Center now reports that Zone Alarm is turned off (both AV and Firewall). Of course Zonealarm thinks its running. :-)
    I am running WinXP SP2
    The following are the database files I am referring to:
    Copied from a post by OldSod:Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder

Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder
    Thanks again for your help.

Thread Information