Thread: Windows Firewall with ZASS or w/o?

loadoftosh Guest

Default Windows Firewall with ZASS or w/o?

I was just wondering whether I should run ZASS with windows firewall or without.
    Previously I felt certain the answer should be w/o, but
    whilst attempting to educate myself in the finer workings of ZASS, I came across thiss in the pdf :

<p align="left">Upgrading and the Windows XP SP2 Windows Firewall<p align="left">If you are running Windows XP SP2 and upgrading to version 6.5, after upgrading you<p align="left">may need to manually turn the Windows XP SP2 Windows Firewall back on. In the<p align="left">Windows XP Help system, search for firewall to learn how to turn on the<p align="left">Windows XP Windows Firewall.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: Windows Firewall with ZASS or w/o?

Hi!Running ZA with windows firewall will create conflicts and malfunctions, this is why, regardless of the windows setting, ZA will disable XP firewall on its default settings.Under the ZA Firewall tab ---&gt; Push on "advanced" --&gt; Double check that under the "General Settings" heading the "disable windows firewall" is CHECKED.This way, whenever you will shutdown ZA or disable it the windows firewall will activate automatically keeping you safe from internet unsolicited calls.Hope this helps.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

loadoftosh Guest

Cheers for replying. To be honest and upfront, I'd actually come to this conclusion myself. You'll probably guess from my login name that I'm having a bad day and was really looking to highlight the inexplicable instructions in the official Zonelabs manual. I note you have a ZA logo under your name, so I guess you must have some connection with Zonelabs. As such, perhaps you'd care to explain why they would give instructions on enabling Windows firewall after ZASS installation, if, as you say, it is such a bad idea?
    Now that really would help!

Hi!I have no connection with ZALabs, we are all users here helping each other.ZA staffdoes not monitor this board.As already explained, the recommendation to turn ON windows firewall is given probably because in the event that ZA is turned OFF, you will still have windows firewall turned ON and protecting you. ZA on default settings will disable the XP firewall... you only need to check that the option is checked otherwise running two firewalls will create conflicts.Is it clear now?Cheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 09-12-2007 01:29 PM

loadoftosh Guest

It was clear the first time around.
    Shame the manual isn't!

Ah.. OK!You may want to contact ZA technical support directly: www.zonelabs.com/tsform Cheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 09-12-2007 01:45 PM

The manual, I think, is a throwback from just a few years ago. The time when many users never used a router or NAT firewall in the modem. As a precaution, it was recommended to have some sort of firewalling active whilst the ZA had not yet been completely installed and therefore giving full protection for the PC. The manual instructions will probably not be changed since it does still make sense for the non router (and NAT modem) users to have a firewall in place while doing installs (or uninstalls).

Most router and NAT modem users are usually aware there is a hardware firewall in front of the PC and will just ignore the Window's OS firewall instructions.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information