Thread: Update to 7.0.408 blocks access to email

seiju Guest

Default Update to 7.0.408 blocks access to email

Hello,

Just updated to latest version of Security Suite. Now I cannot access my email through Courier email or Thunderbird. I have installed this update on two computers and neither computer allows Courier email to access email, though it worked fine before update. Any suggestions?
    Thanks.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

seiju Guest

Default Re: Update to 7.0.408 blocks access to email

I am also running Spysweeper and it reported an "Email attachment shield error." They had recommendations about configuring ZA to allow my mail server access to the trusted zone. This seems to have solved the problem, email now works for both Courier and Thunderbird. However, I didn't need this fix before and wonder if, unknowingly, I have created a vulnerability.

naivemelody Guest

Default Re: Update to 7.0.408 blocks access to email

Yes, there is a new Webroot SpySweeper 5.5 that now includes a new &quot;E-mail shield&quot; that may conflict with several brands of firewalls and anti-virus. See - http://www.webroot.com/land/personal...all_config.php - plus a number of other FAQS you may need to know. Check Webroot's Support for more information.<hr>Spy Sweeper 5.5 E-mail Attachment Shield
    and Personal Firewall Configuration

Some firewall, anti-virus, anti-spyware, or anti-spam products running on the computer may conflict with Spy Sweeper's E-mail Attachment shield. If E-mail communication issues are observed after installing Spy Sweeper 5.5, it may be necessary to modify or disable the third-party application or Spy Sweeper's E-mail Attachment shield.

The following Firewall products have been tested by Webroot Software Inc. for compatibility: [click on the underlined software for additional information on adjustments you need to make]<ul>[*]Norton Internet Security 2007[*]McAfee Total Protection 2007[*]Windows Firewall[*]Zone Alarm
    &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;[*]Trend Micro's PC-cillin[*]Panda AV + Firewall 2007[*]Sygate[*]Kerio Sunbelt[*]Tiny (CA)[*]Armor2Net[*]Commodo[*]AVG Internet Security
    ....continues - see
    link above.<hr>It would probably be
    best to shutdown SpySweeper's E-mail shield and let ZA's Kaspersky av to scan/protect your email - it's a bigger, better detector of virus/trojans, backdoors, etc. and yes it also scans for spyware, too - all malware. You are safe with ZA's Kaspersky av -protecting your e-mail systems.<hr>Additional notes: SpySweeper is a very effective anti-spyware tool that uses real-time shields to protect various systems of a pc; but then so does ZA Suite - there may be conlficts of both of these security softwares in regards to real-time protection (may manifest itself in slow downs, slow downs while uploading/downloading, opening other apps/software) You may have to adjust the shields of Spysweeper - turn some of them off - tweak to find the right balance - it far easier to shut off some of Spysweeper's shields than it is to find the unseen files/modules that ZA Suite uses to protect the same areas of your pc. When you upgrade ZA or new install ZA, it is best to shutdown SpySweeper just prior to downloading ZA.<hr>NaiveMelody NYC 9-14-07 - Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye -Steam[/list]

Message Edited by NaiveMelody on 09-14-2007 07:21 PM

Thread Information