Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: build 408 - AV scan has many errors

sirdracula Guest

Default build 408 - AV scan has many errors

I had high hopes for build 408 but I'm watching an automatic AV scan for errors and I see lots and lots of errors:

- cannot scan the boot sectors: Parameter is incorrect.
    - lots of errors on many files: The handle is invalid.
    - some errors on some files: The environment is incorrect.

I have not seen these errors before with build 337.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: build 408 - AV scan has many errors

Hi!what other security tools are you running???Run the scan in SAFE MODE and see if you get the same errors...Also post the exact errors and which files are generating errors.REMINDER: If you have a valid license you can contact (free of charge) the ZA technical support: www.zonelabs.com/tsform Cheers,FaxP.S. Sounds like ZA does NOT like your system.... latest and previous versions :8} Sorry to hear you are having so much problems and still running ZA.

Message Edited by fax on 09-14-2007 06:07 PM

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

sirdracula Guest

I don't run any other security software, just ZA7 Suite for Firewall, AV, Antispyware - maybe it's a mistake

Yes, I have a valid license, but contacting support resulted every time in generic answers with the recommendation to re-install ZA - there's only so many times I'm willing to do a clean re-install just to have the exact same issues that are not there if I run build 337. Not to mention that it takes a few days for these useless answers. I've had much better luck with these forums, I think ZA should start a point system and compensate people who provide good answers in these forums, lots of users here are much better than their support.

Well, but you have been having errors all along version 7...Don't you think thats may be the time for a fresh install of the OS?Anyway, try the SAFE MODE, if it help but those AV errors points to system corruption.Cheers,Fax

sirdracula Guest

I don't think it has anything to do with my system, there's nothing unusual about it and build 337 worked much better for me, but it did have some bugs that others reported too. I think overall 337 may still be the best build so far when comparing the issues I have with it vs. the current 408 build.

I posted the error messages. Obviously I cannot post the files for privacy reasons, but they are normal documents, some mp3 files that no application has them currently locked. I have certainly not seen the boot sector scan errors with the previous 337 build, this is a new one to me ...

sirdracula Guest

No, I have not had any of the following issues with build 337 that I now experienced for the first time with build 408:

- not being able to register with the XP Security Center (SOLVED)
    - not being able to get any automatic AV and Antispy definitions updates (worked fine with 337)
    - getting lots of errors during AV scans (I would get an occasional error with build 337 because some app was locking some file, but that was fine)
    - not being able to scan the boot sectors

And re-installing the OS and ZA all the time should not be the answer to these issues.

Hi!well, without information I can't really help... The only way to really troubleshoot is to do it with ZA technical support.YES, they suggest to reinstall but you have to come back to them that reinstall didn't work.... and so onThey have steps they need to follow before escalating to developers, but if you do not come back to themthey will never escalate to the developers.So, I have no other suggestion than reverting to 337.Cheers,Fax

Hi!was a clean install or an upgrade? If it was an upgrade please reset the ZA database....For the rest I have already answered above.Cheers,Fax

sirdracula Guest

Clean install per the instructions I found in these forums, posted many times.

It may have been a clean install, but if there were other security applications involved or disk management applicatiions running at the time or if there were any active applications that use internet connections or if extra hardware was connected to the PC, then the clean install process is defeated. Even if the adobe reader was running in the background along with other un-needed programs, then the installation is not as pure as it should have been. Usually major installs should only happen if the system file check and a disk defrag, disk clean and a disk check has been first performed and all windows updates are installed. Periodic checking of the updates for the drivers and BIOS is good maintenace. Installing after the PC has been running for a long period of time is not the best either- start the PC from a new bootup after stopping the other applications from running/starting up and disconnected the plugged in hardware and doing the basic maintenances first.

There is likely a conflict with something on your PC. Do the maintenance described above in this post and then see if a new install fixes it. There is also hardware such as a failing hdd or bad ram to consider or a failing video card.

Often the cleanest install in the one done in the safe boot- it has the least number of processes running and the least amount of interferences to disrupt the installation process.

Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 09-14-2007 06:03 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information