Thread: Has vsmon.exe been changed in the latest version?

hsel Guest

Default Has vsmon.exe been changed in the latest version?

Hi,
    I use tcpview from sysinternals to monitor for suspect activity and in the past it has always shown vsmon.exe as listening which I have always thought of as normal but now, with version 408, I don't see it listed. I do see it in windows task manager under processes so I know it's working, but I just wanted to make sure that not seeing it in tcpview is now the norm. If it's not, I'll uninstall and reinstall, no worries. If you could let me know, I'd be really appreciative. All in all, the new version is really good. The slowdowns are gone for the most part. The antispam can be a bit slow, and the AV/Spyware scans are still slow, but I did not expect that to change so I'm not upset about that. It takes about 4 hours for the default scan to complete. I just need to know about vsmon as I stated above.

Thanks!hselburn

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

hsel Guest

Default Re: Has vsmon.exe been changed in the latest version?

BTW, I decided to use the shieldsup test on grc.com to test my security as I did not see vsmon listed in tcpview and with the firewall's settings set to high, the firewall log doesn't even see an access attempt. Now "that's" stealth! (Of course, I might have to delete the logs in the internet logs folder and reboot too, but I'm doing that until I am told I need to. LOL

Thanks!hselburn

Hi!actually vsmon lissening and connecting will depend on the other executable you have on your system since vsmon will intercept and filter all communication from you PC to your PC (localhost) or internet. So vsmon is "in-between" all communications and it will lissen or connect depending on what you are running... hope this is clear. I have rightnow for example vsmon lissening on localhost...Vsmon has been re-touched and revised but I doubt that lissening or no lissening has anything to do with its redesign.Indeed, latest version is a keeper much faster and solid and small bugs have been sorted out. The scanner speed is dependent on many factors, KAV SDK is not a master of speed and it is particularly slow when scanning compressed files. If you have many better to exclude them from "scan targets".Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

How do you connect to the internet?Have you compared the IP scanned by grc and your IP (IPCONFING /all command). Are the same or different?Cheers,Fax

hsel Guest

I have comcast but I have a router and the ip that grc sees is the ip of the router, not the pc itself. So I have 2 firewalls essentially, but what is interesting is that in past versions of ziss 7 and with tcpview, is that vsmon was listed even when it was just listening. Now it does not show in the list at all. I do see the zlupdate client when updating but vsmon does not show up in the list at all. I've used the same router and ziss setup for well over a year now so this is just interesting to me. If vsmon had never shown up in tcpview in the past, I would not be at all concerned about it not showing now. My network config has not changed in well over a
    year so this is just a bit weird. I don't think that ziss is malfunctioning, but if I need to delete and rebuild my ziss logs, that's not an issue as that's easy to do. Heck, if I need to do an uninstall/reinstall, I can do that, but it's unclear that that is even necessary. I'm just glad ZoneLabs finally got ziss 7 working pretty well.

Thanks!hselburn

Hi!you don't see any logs from grc since your router is blocking all unsolicitied incoming calls.You should remove the router to test ZA.On vsmon lissening: No idea why vsmon is not lissening on your system.Have you tried to reboot? Did you remove any software recently?Cheers,Fax

hsel Guest

Well a couple of updates... GRC does work as it should with just zonealarm on it's own as expected. As for the Listening issue, I had it resolved for awhile after I reinstalled .408, however, this evening, the issue has returned with vsmon most likely listening, but not showing as such in the tcp monitor that I use, tcpview. Would purging my zonealarm logs, or any of them possibly help with this or will I need to reinstall ZISS again? As I did not have to do the uber uninstall with the registry search, etc. last time, it's not such a big deal to try that again. Having said that, I'm about to reboot the pc and it will probably work again. You just have to love that. Well ok, not really. LOL

Thread Information