Thread: Uninstalling ZoneAlarm

chambard Guest

Default Uninstalling ZoneAlarm

On a

chambard Guest

Default Re: Uninstalling ZoneAlarm

On a new
    Vista
    laptop I downloaded ZoneAlarm Free for Vista and since then it blocks my access to the Internet and my LAN. Unfortunately I cannot uninstall it
    through the Control Pannel 'Add/Remove' or the uninstall button in my Zonedlab copy
    because "True Vector services cannot be stopped as long as other software uses the True Vector engine". Which software?
    How can I get out of this deadly trap since it renders my laptop completely useless? Wouldn't like to reformate it right from the start! Thanks for your help.

Hi!start in SAFE MODE and try to remove from there using the ZA uninstall (start --> all programs --> ZoneAlarm --> Uninstall ZoneAlarm...)If the above fails, always in safe mode try to remove all files/folder and registry mentioned in this document:http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...message.id=103Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

chambard Guest

Thanks for your intervention, but pls do confirm that the second procedure has to be done also in safe mode. Quite an order on an OS (Vista) I'm not familiar with. Reformatting a new and fairly empty hard drive appears to be easier.

Cheers, c.

Hi!yes... its to be done always in SAFE MODE...But if for you reformatting is an option I would go with reformatting... so will get a nice and clean registry without any leftovers.Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

redstreak Guest

Well, if you're reformatting, you'll be better off to go back to Windows XP. Vista is a tangled mess of security and digital spy, and its performance slows much sooner that XP does. XP will run for many months before performance begins to bog down. Vista is bogging down in a matter of less than 3 months, and sometimes performance goes way down in 6 weeks.

And, hey, if you're reformatting anyway, why not try Ubuntu (http://www.ubuntu.com/)? The future for Microsoft OS looks pretty bad, and it's going to be easy to change sooner than later...

'Streak

chambard Guest

<blockquote><hr>fax wrote:
    Hi!
    yes... its to be done always in SAFE MODE...

Well, I found a much easier way out of this quagmire. Right at the beginning I had a try with the Restoration System, but with a new and hardly active O.S., there were only two restoration points, each of them posterior to the Zone Alarm download. This morning before opting for a reformatting, I went back to Restoration and discovered the possibility of requesting further points and thus I found the oldest one which took me back well prior to the ZA download. To make a long story short, all my downloads were wiped out and a pristine laptop connected immediately to the Net.

There is no information available here about this apparently rather frequent malfunction of ZA, but now that I have experienced it, I say Zone Alarm never more despite years of use without any major trouble.

Bye, c.</blockquote>

chambard Guest

<blockquote><hr>redstreak wrote:
    Well, if you're reformatting, you'll be better off to go back to Windows XP. Vista is a tangled mess of security and digital spy, and its performance slows much sooner that XP does. XP will run for many months before performance begins to bog down. Vista is bogging down in a matter of less than 3 months, and sometimes performance goes way down in 6 weeks.

And, hey, if you're reformatting anyway, why not try Ubuntu (http://www.ubuntu.com/)? The future for Microsoft OS looks pretty bad, and it's going to be easy to change sooner than later...

'Streak
    <hr></blockquote>

Going back to WinXP in this case means buying another MS licence. No thank you. Going Open Source ? I'm 80 years young and I know that the refusal of new developments means regression and death, but sometimes I'm lazy, yearning right now for a stretch of easy going ground.

Windows spying can be checked by Antispy which comes now in a Vista version. Admittedly I don't like what I see of Vista, but instead of running away hollering as many do, I'll have to play around with it, before saying anything definitive. The rest remains to be seen. Experience is still the best judge.

Cheerio, c.

Thread Information