Thread: ZAISS installation hangs, doesn't fully install & now I can't connect to internet at all

confusedcolm Guest

Default ZAISS installation hangs, doesn't fully install & now I can't connect to internet at all

Hi all,
    I humbly ask for your help! Having:
    1. read great things about ZAISS
    2. happily used the free ZA firewall for months

& given that my existing security software (**bleep** AV 10) was about to expire, a few days ago
    I decided to change to ZAISS, possibly combining it with Kaspersky AV 7 and disabling the AV component of ZAISS (which I know is an earlier version of Kaspersky, so I presumed there
    should'nt
    be any conflicts). So,
    I did the following:
    1. I unistalled **bleep** and replaced it with a trial verion of KAV.
    2. Then, in order to avoid any potential for my existing ZA firewall conflicting with the new ZAISS
      I
      was about to
      install, and given that I wanted to make a fresh start with security and was happy to reconfigure the various settings
      once the new software was in place, I unistalled the free ZA firewall.
      It was only at the early stage of installation that I saw the advice not to do that and instead to install any upgrades over the existing versions.
    3. I set about downloading the trial version of ZAISS with a view to buying it after the trial.
    4. Everything seemed to be going fine - the ZAISS software downloaded ok and the installation started. But then
      it stopped installing at 24%, at a file located at c:\Windows\system32\Zonelabs\zlquarantine.dll and seemed to hang.
    5. After waiting for ages (I thought some process was working behind the scenes)
      I checked the computer's
      Task Manager and it said that a file called GLB2A.tmp was not responding.
    6. So, I cancelled the installation and tried starting it again, and again, and again. Every time, it stopped at the same place with the same errors listed.
    7. I decided that
      the downloaded software might not have
      come through properly, so I deleted that and tried to download it again.

That's when things really went wrong. My computer would not connect into the internet and still won't!

I get a pop-up message from the task bar saying "Wireless Network Connection. This connection has limited or no connectivity. You might not be able to access the Internet or some network resources. For more information, click this message". which I've done and clicked the option to repair the connection, all with no success. I tried connecting by cable (as opposed to wireless) but it didn't work either.

Thinking that something had gone wrong with my router or at least something to do with my ISP's network (which is eircomnet), I tried connecting to the internet using my computer at several other access points, and still no success. I've also
    tried using several other computers on my own connection, and all of them connect to the internet using my connection without a problem.

I've had a look at the Add or Remove Programs function in Control Panel and although the installation of ZAISS only got as far as 24% there's now a program called ZoneAlarm Security Suite with a size of 7.29MB listed.

I'm by no means knowledgeable about the inner workings of computers. The only reason I can come up with for
    my computer's inability to connect to the internet
    is that whatever of the 24% of ZAISS
    that was installed has changed some of the TCP/IP or DNS or DHCP settings on my computer (or something to do with them) so that the processes that enable connection to a network have been instructed not to function

For info, my internet connection is ADSL (someone from ZA customer services asked me if I was using dial-up even though
    I had
    explained that
    the software had downloaded properly). My computer uses Windows XP, automatically updated, and other than the **bleep** & the ZA firewall, previous security products I've used on this pc were Norton and Webroot SpySweeper (which I uninstalled due to conflicts with **bleep**).

I'd really appreciate if someone could help me resolve this.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

bannor Guest

Default Re: ZAISS installation hangs, doesn't fully install & now I can't connect to internet at all

Hi!
    You might want to
    search the other postings in this section of the forum for reports of similar problems, and try the advice given. If memory serves me correctly, the solution involved booting to safe mode.
    Bannor

confusedcolm Guest

Default Re: ZAISS installation hangs, doesn't fully install & now I can't connect to internet at all

Hi Bannor,
    Thanks for the reply. Using a borrowed
    computer, I've been doing that
    since I posted and I'm delighted to say that I finally managed to succeed
    by following the instructions on a few threads posted by various Gurus which helped others in similar situations to my own.
    Decided in the end to install ZA Pro together with Kaspersky AV and so far so good. You might be able to advise me, though, why when I allowed ZA to manage the settings at installation, that it has set all of the privacy options to off?
    In any event, not strictly relevant to this forum but
    FYI anyway,
    I also installed a few of the free anti-spyware programs too. No apparent conflicts so far but had to uninstall 1 of them (AD-AWARE 2007) again, though, when
    another (Spybot) discovered it was trying to change the registry to insert a LSDELETE entry, and I saw mention on a few threads on other forums that this is a potential
    flaw in the latest version of AD-AWARE.
    Between all of them, they've discovered mostly a few advertising
    spy cookies (not as many as I thought), but more importantly, the presence of Virtumonde, which I'm struggling to eliminate, but which might explain why my machine has been running slowly generally and giving problems at start-up lately (approx every 3rd startup being very slow with apparent program hangs and sound functions not working).
    Thanks again for your reply.

wally_c Guest

I am having the exact same problem with both the distribution CD of 362 and the download of 408.
    I won't go into the gory details about how I got to this point but suffice it to say I just got ZASS for the first time after being tired of the slowness of one of the competitors so when the liscense was up I deinstalled it, cleaned the REG etc and installed the distribution CD and all was well for a day until I tried to go to 408 to fix the shutdown/startup/switch user problems.
    I have read thru this forum and have not found anything that helps.
    What specifically did you have to do to get ZASS to install?

confusedcolm Guest

Hi,
    In the end, I gave up on ZASS & went with a combination of
    ZAPro with KAV.Unfortunately I've discarded the links to the threads I found useful - from memory, Gurus Fax, GeorgeV and Hoov all had bits of useful info. Effectively what I discovered was that there were still some remnants of a couple of
    anti-virus software packages that I had previously used
    & that I
    had uninstalled using add/remove programs. These were causing conflicts, so I had to clean them completely from the Registry and also any fragments of ZA which were still there (read Guru SlyFox's posts).
    I think that after doing that, my internet access was restored. Then, I dowloaded
    fresh copies of
    KAV and ZAPro, but before installing either of them, I closed virtually everything - all internet access and as many applications as I could including any AV, firewalls, etc, to minimise potential conflicts. I installed KAV first and then promptly shut it down to install ZAPro.
    So far all's working fine. Best of luck.

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>ConfusedColm wrote:
    Hi,In the end, I gave up on ZASS &amp; went with a combination ofZAPro with KAV.Unfortunately I've discarded the links to the threads I found useful - from memory, Gurus Fax, GeorgeV and Hoov all had bits of useful info. Effectively what I discovered was that there were still some remnants of a couple ofanti-virus software packages that I had previously used&amp; that Ihad uninstalled using add/remove programs. These were causing conflicts, so I had to clean them completely from the Registry and also any fragments of ZA which were still there (read Guru SlyFox's posts).I think that after doing that, my internet access was restored. Then, I dowloadedfresh copies ofKAV and ZAPro, but before installing either of them, I closed virtually everything - all internet access and as many applications as I could including any AV, firewalls, etc, to minimise potential conflicts. I installed KAV first and then promptly shut it down to install ZAPro.So far all's working fine. Best of luck.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Welcome to the Zone Alarm User Forum..Thank you for the excellent Feedback..I've used ZAPro and KAV for many years with no prioblems..The New ZA Security Suite Ver.7.0.xxx now included a Modified SKD/OEM version of the KAV AV Engine..and implimenting that Limited version of KAV has been causing a few problems.. ( however, most of the KAV probkem have been worked out in the ZASS 7.0.408.000 and ZASS XP Beta 7.0.423.000ZoneAlarm Security Suite XP Beta version:7.0.423.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.423.000
    Driver version:7.0.423.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.82
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:927643765
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.176.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200710.2585
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

wally_c Guest

This installation hang started when I completly uninstalled 362 which came on the CD and tried to install 408.
    How do I get 408 installed to &quot;fix all these problems&quot;?

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>wally_c wrote:
    This installation hang started when I completly uninstalled 362 which came on the CD and tried to install 408. How do I get 408 installed to "fix all these problems"?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Two primary reasons for failure to install..1.) improper unistall of the previous version.. (if you did not go into Overview/Preferences and Un-check "Load ZA.... on Startup") then you did not Stop TrueVector and VSMON.EXE.. the Main part of Zone Alarm that runs in the Background to Protect you.. When you try to Install the New Zone Alarm, it will try to Install New Copies of TrueVector/VSMon.exe, which can not be installed over already Running copies of the same file while they are Running..2.) If you have any 3rd Party Security installed or Not properly Uninstalled.. They Write stuff to your Registry and many Anti-Virus/Anti-Spyware programs include a "REGISTRY GUARD" featureto block Writing to the Registry, which will prevent Zone Alarm from Installing if it can not write to the Registry..Now that your in this quandary, here are two possible solutions..The Best option is to Turn off any Third Party Security and disable any Registry guard..then do a Clean Uninstall with the /CLEAN switch..

But now you have a different problem... your ZASS installation will fail.. To resolve this issue you need to clean out any left overs from your PC.

Please do the following:

Go to Start &gt; Search &gt; Files and Folders. Make sure the location box is set to search your Local Hard Drive (usually C:\ ) or All Local Drives. Also make sure the Advanced Search Options are set to search subfolders and hidden files. Now copy the entire line below, paste it into the search box and click Search Now.Zonelabs; "zone labs"; "Internet logs"; vsconfig.xml; vsdata.dll; vsdata95.vxd; vsdatant.sys; vsmon.*; vsmonapi.dll; vsnetutils.dll;vspubapi.dll; zaplus.*; zapro.*; zllictbl.dat; zlparser.dll; zonealarm.exe; zoneband.dll; vsutil.dll; zlclient.*A list of files and folders belonging to ZoneAlarm will appear in the Search Results panel.Note: if you re using McAfee software be sure to check the vsutil.dll if found: right click the file and choose Properties. Verify it belongs to ZoneLabs. If it does not do not remove it. Now proceed by deleting all ZoneLabs files and folders that were found.Empty the Recycle Bin.Run a registry/system cleaner. ccleaner is quite good utility (http://www.ccleaner.com/download/downloadpage.aspx?f=3) Re-download the installer from here (and do NOT use any download managers):http://www.zonelabs.com/zasuitedownload/ Install with default settings, do not alter them....Once rebooted manual update the antivirus/antispyware signature ('update now' under the antivirus/antispyware tab)After the update perform a full antivirus/antispyware scan.
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

wally_c Guest

What got me into this pickle is trying to install 408 over 362.
    I did not do what you point out in your #1 because ZL instructions don't tell you to do any of that and their install scripts don't check.
    In my opinion (and I have been writing computer software since 1965) that they write bad stuff.
    You either write fault tolerant software
    or you disappear.

Anyway, I tried the uninstall procedure as you describe it
    3 times.
    The original CD and 408 both still hang at 24% trying to copy zlquarantine.dll.
    Also found the Zone Lab key under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINES was bad and had to set permissions on it before it would go away.
    I have not tried your procedure in safe mode because the original poster of this thread found that this did not help either.
    Original poster got ZAPro instead.

Thread Information