Thread: Download Zone Alarm free with dial up

somerton Guest

Default Download Zone Alarm free with dial up

My daughter has just upgraded to Windows XP and needs to put the Zone Alarm firewall back on.She has been using it for some time with ME.As she is using a dial up connection that cuts of after about two hours could anyone tell me how long the download will take and if there are any tips for doing it with a dial up connection to avoid problems?Many thanks in anticipation.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

Default Re: Download Zone Alarm free with dial up

If you have a good dialup connection (50K) then you should be able to download it in time. If not then the best way is to get a friend with a broadband connection to download it and burn it to a CD. Unfortunately most download accelerators don't play well with the ZA installation file. I use Download Accelerator Pro and it does a good job, so you may want to give that a shot as well. (There is a free version that has advertising on it).www.speedbit.com
    My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

naivemelody Guest

Some recent changes in the new version ZA 7.0 x Free version (only), which we ourselves slowly discovered - There is a ZA Security Suite
    hidden underneath (phantom - non-functioning
    Kaspersky av, plus the rest of the suite) the ZA 7x Free.
    Which now makes it 38MB big versus the 6.5 and earlier versions at about 13 MB or less.
    With dial-up it may take up to 2 - 3
    to
    4 hours to install. I
    have dial-up too, at 4 hour intervals; at the end of 4 hours it 'does give me the option' to continue without interrupting a middle of a download situation.
    If your daughter has a two hour limit, she may able to do download all of it if she can "continue (again) without interruption" - otherwise it
    may be physically impossible to do so on just only two hours - on only one set.<hr>Solution - Stay with ZA 6.5.737 Free /// or
    uninstall/delete ZA 7 x
    Free and then install the old version 6.5.737 ZA Free
    of Aug. 31, 2006 - here is the link -

http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/fre...seHistory.html
    . - to the Release History page -
    go to 6.5 Branch - and find 6.5.737.000 - to download this version, if successful
    and your
    system working again - [ later, you may get a ZA program update box - you may not want to automatically update that - this would be an update to the new ZA 7 x Free, again,
    - not again - tell it to remind you in 60 days- repeat and rinse,and wait
    until further developments].
    Remember - don't use any dial-up 'web accelerators' while downloading ZA, and shut-off/shutdown or uninstall other security software like Spysweeper, SpywareDoctor, Counterspy, etc. prior to downloading.<hr>2nd Alternate Solution - others who wish to upgrade to ZA 7x, on a budget - an alternative to rolling back or staying with ZA 6.5 Free - I would suggest going up a level in security by getting ZoneAlarm Anti-Spyware 7.0.337 - at about 14.2 MB it's just a bit more than ZA 6.5 Free plus you get a &quot;real improvement in firewall protection&quot; and a &quot;top rated anti-spyware&quot; -
    for $19.95 for one year of updates - http://www.zonealarm.com/store/conte...mp;lid=ho_zaas
    . This ZA product has the Operating System Firewall (OS Firewall) which is more advanced than the simple firewall in ZA free versions; in all of the paid versions of ZA products - this the heart of ZA protection - see comparison chart - click left tabs for more info. -
    http://www.zonealarm.com/store/conte...st2_comparison
    . This a simple to use, less complicated ZA firewall product than ZA suite. I use it myself. With this version, you can use any brand of anti-virus you choose. No worries, no complications. According, to some recent test/reviews - it top rates at #1 or Editor's Choice - see Cnet test/review dated March 19, 2007 - http://reviews.cnet.com/ZoneAlarm_An....html?tag=tool<hr>:8}NavieMelody NYC 9-21-07 - We Got The Beat - The Go Go's

Message Edited by NaiveMelody on 09-21-2007 06:59 PM

somerton Guest

Many thanks for that.We will put the ZA 6.5.737 back on which i think is what she was using on ME.

Thread Information