Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP ME WITH ZONE ALARM!!!

mwgryde Guest

Default HELP ME WITH ZONE ALARM!!!

Hi guys,
    Hoping someone can help with this major headache,i had zonealarm working no problems,switched pc on and zonealarm advised me of a new update which i ok'd - zlsSetup_70_362_000_en.exe so once downloaded i went through the install process but it appeared to be doing nothing after the intitial box had come up and been ok'd as nothing was on my screen,ie no progress box or window or anything so checked task manager and my cpu useage was 99% for glb32.tmp in processes it did nothing for ages so i thought something had gone wrong so ended the process,ive tried clicking on the desk top icon again for zlsSetup_70_362_000_en.exe but same thing happens,i then decided to try and download it again in case it was corrupt but no joy..........I then decided the best bet was to uninstall,i click on uninstall zonealarm and get a error saying - the uninstaller cannot locate the resources needed to uninstall,so i then tried it through add/remove programs and again same message, i tried this in safe mode to as it suggests here -
    http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...message.id=103
    so i cant even get past the first part of getting rid of zone alarm - "

* Go to Start > Programs > ZoneLabs and click Uninstall, or uninstall ZA using Control Panel > Software > Add/Remove Programs.

If a security check appears, click Yes and continue the uninstall procedure."
    When i start my pc up i get the error unable to locate components - VSUTIL-dll was not found re-install (i bloody would if i could)
    So can someone please,please help me!
    One fed up pc user that wished he hadnt updated the stupid thing.
    Kind regards,and thanks in advance.

jdoliver Guest

Default Re: HELP ME WITH ZONE ALARM!!!

mwgryde Guest

Thanks for the reply but as ive stated ive followed those instructions in safe mode and it doesnt work/help
    I get the error messages ive stated

redstreak Guest

Hey there.

It sounds like the uninstallation croaked just a little ways in, and managed to do some damage it didn't undo on the way back out. That's the problem with most Windows-based installers. Nullsoft's Scriptable Install System is the best -- HINT! HINT! ZA devs), and doesn't host up your system and registry trying to get in or out. But, alas, ZA uses one that uses a non-discrete uninstaller.

Since you did manage to install ZoneAlarm once, you probably can recover your system. You can try a different installer package. The 7.0.362 package clearly has something indigestible for some (at least your) Windows systems. That's not terribly uncommon with Windows. Hopefully you didn't switch to dead-end Vista yet. It's far worse there.

Try downloading the latest package from http://www.zonelabs.com/zadownload/ and see if the new package can install over what's there now. That's your best bet. Short of that, you'll be doing some hand-hacking to get ZA out of there. I've done that a few times. We'll jump off that cliff if need be, but try the latest installer first...

If the latest installer fails to install over what you've got half-installed, then you'll probably need to get it completely uninstalled manually.

You can follow the directions in http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...message.id=103 after the first *REBOOT instruction even if it did not uninstall in the first step. It may go better if you reboot in Safe mode first.

One thing that will be dangling around if you cannot uninstall properly is the VSMON service entry in the registry. You may need to manually remove it.

The VSMON service does not allow you to pause or stop it (you have to stop the service to unload it from memory so that the program file can be deleted) in normal mode, but in safe mode, you should be able to delete it and delete the entry for it in the registry.

If you need to remove VSMON service manually, you can remove it using Regedit, but be VERY CAREFULL not to remove anything BUT VSMON, else you can really screw up your Winders installation.

To remove VSMON manually when you're booted in SAFE MODE, Start->Run "regedit", then navigate to:

<blockquote>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services</blockquote>
    Now find 'vsmon', and you'll see that inside it you can confirm the 'DisplayName' string is set to &quot;TrueVector Internet Monitor&quot;. Over in the left pane, right click &quot;vsmon&quot; in the tree list, and select &quot;Delete&quot;. That will get it completely out.

After you follow the published instructions for removing ZoneAlarm, as well as my little addition to get rid of the service, then you should be able to install the current version. If not, maybe someone can point to you the installer for 7.0.337 or something so that you can at least install something...

Hope that helps,
    'Streak

donmago Guest

I have the VERY SAME IDENTICAL problems with the same update on the same date!

I first couldn't install the update then got the same vsinit.dll and vsutil.dll messages and then tried to uninstall in both the regular and safe modes per forum instructions listed in reply to your first message on this and I still can't 1) get the Zone Alarm icon, 2) the uninstall doesn't work in either the zone alarm program Start/Programs/Zone Alarm/Uninstall Zone Alarm Security OR 3) the Control Panel/Uninstall Programs/Zone Alarm.

The rest of my system seems ok. I do have Kaspersky 6.0.2.621 and it seems to work fine.

Just the Zone Alarm update failure and inability to fix it.

One question to Administrator....Would following all of the other steps listed after the second listed REBOOT in the Uninstall Instruction (Forum Administrator 09-13-2006 07:01 AM) work even if the Uninstall didn't work?

mwgryde Guest

It's very odd,i also use Kaspersky...so i wonder if thats related.
    Well at least im not the only one to be having this problem.........anyone ideas anyone
    Regards.

Hi!looks like you have not really followed the instruction as detailed in this post:http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...message.id=103See here how to boot in SAFE MODE:http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d..._failsafe.mspxOnce you have boot in SAFE MODE what is the error you are experiencing?Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

mwgryde Guest

Ive followed those instructions as detailed in my first post.
    I get as far as Go to Start &gt; Programs &gt; ZoneLabs and click Uninstall, or uninstall ZA using Control Panel &gt; Software &gt; Add/Remove Programs.
    Which ive attempted to do in safe mode as advised but i get the error - uninstaller cannot locate the resources needed to uninstall this happens through the above procedure and through add/remove programs.........so im stuck at this point

Yes, but if the document also state that if you one step does not apply to you or you cannot perform it you can skip to the next...So for your case... the next step would be:BOOT IN SAFE MODEGo to Start &gt; Search &gt; Files and Folders. Make sure the location box is set to search your Local Hard Drive (usually C:\ ) or All Local Drives. Also make sure the Advanced Search Options are set to search subfolders and hidden files. Now copy the entire line below, paste it into the search box and click Search Now.Zonelabs; "zone labs"; "Internet logs"; vsconfig.xml; vsdata.dll; vsdata95.vxd; vsdatant.sys; vsmon.*; vsmonapi.dll; vsnetutils.dll;vspubapi.dll; zaplus.*; zapro.*; zllictbl.dat; zlparser.dll; zonealarm.exe; zoneband.dll; vsutil.dll; zlclient.*A list of files and folders belonging to ZoneAlarm will appear in the Search Results panel.Now proceed by deleting all ZoneLabs files and folders that were found.Empty the Recycle Bin.Then keep following the instructions in the document....Cheers,Fax

Message Edited by fax on 09-20-2007 12:40 PM

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

mwgryde Guest

Ok thanks,ill try from there when i get home.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information