Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zone Alarm is only catching Program connections, vs. Firewall???

marian Guest

Default Zone Alarm is only catching Program connections, vs. Firewall???

I'm currently running ZA Free 7.0.337.0.
    I installed ZA Free 7.0.408.0 per a pop-up notice I rec'd last week, but upon installation, while it seemed to work, it wasn't catching any firewall "attacks".
    It was only asking for and/or blocking program persmissions, primarily svchost.exe, which it blocked and continues to block (per the log file).
    I thought it was unusual not to see any firewall alerts
    (I've had ZA Free for over 7 yrs), so I unstalled version 7.0.408.0 via Add/Remove Programs, and also performed a Search, and deleted any leftovers that remained after the uninstall.
    I then re-installed 7.0.337.0 in Safe Mode, as several here have suggested, but I still have the same problem . . . I'm getting program alerts (with tons of svchost.exe. alerts shown in the log file), but no firewall alerts.
    Why???
    How do I know if ZA is really working, re: firewall alerts?
    I also noticed that while my ZA version and True Vector version are both 7.0.337.0, the ZA driver file version is 7.0.408.00.
    Could the newer driver be causing the problem, since its newer than the version I'm running, or . . . what can I do to fix things to get my old reliable ZA product back and running as it should?
    Thank you in advance for any suggestions you can offer.
    I'm running Windows XP Home Edition w/SP 2.
    Marian
    P.S.
    Neither install, btw, preconfigured anything other than the Generic Host Process (svchost.exe, which is configured the way it always has been . . . to block internet server access).
    In the past, ZA had always preconfigured IE (Internet Explorer) and whatever mail program I was using (Outlook Express, Outlook, etc.).
    I don't know if this makes a difference, but thought I'd mention it just in case . . .

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

jdoliver Guest

Default Re: Zone Alarm is only catching Program connections, vs. Firewall???

408 is known to be buggy.
    This

removal procedure http://forums.zonealarm.org/zonelabs...message.id=103
    should get rid of any zone alarm files.
    Then reinstall 337.

marian Guest

Thank you . . . I'll give this a try!
    Marian

marian Guest

Should I re-install 337.0 via Safe Mode?

jdoliver Guest

No idea. I've never used safe mode for installation. The remove procedure followed by a normal clean install has always worked for me.

marian Guest

Thank you jd.
    I didn't use safe mode, as I never had before until 408 . . . I still have some of the same problems, though, re: not recognizing the firewall, but yet lots of program logs . . . my driver does now agree with my version . . . 7.0.337.0.
    I guess all I can do is keep looking, either for a solution, or for a new firewall . . .
    Thank you for your help!
    Marian

Hi!How do you connect to the internet?Do you have a router or a modem doing NAT...Most probably is just your router blocking incoming connection before ZA...Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

marian Guest

Hi Fax . . .
    I hadn't thought of that . . . Usually I connect via modem, but my son was home over the summer, so I made some adjustments via a router . . . he's now back @ school again . . . if I disconnect the router, would that solve my problems?

If I do that, would I have to go through the same process as I did before, re: router set-up, to allow him access when he's home on breaks?
    Thank you in advance for your help/suggestions.
    Marian

Hi!not sure I undertand.. why would you like to disconnect the router?The router is providing an additional layer of protection blocking all incoming calls... if something pass the router it will be blocked by ZA.So no need of removing the router... but if you want to do so than there is no specific setting in ZA to change.Just plug the modem as it was and everything should get back to normal.You can safely upgrade to 408... several fixes and stability issues been resolved.If you keep the router just a couple ofsuggestions:- change its default password;- upgrade its firmware (if available)- if you use wireless: encrypt the connection using WPA/WPA2Hope this helps.Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

marian Guest

Hi Fax . . .
    Maybe it was I who misunderstood
    . . . When you said, "Most probably is just your router blocking incoming connection before ZA..."
    I thought that meant I should disconnect the router . . .
    I've already done what you suggested, re: the router, when I installed it.
    I will check again re: any firmware updates.
    In other words, everything is working ok on 337, and 408 is good to go?
    Thanks again,Marian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information