Thread: Apply new license to expired ZAISS 6.5?

joem Guest

Default Apply new license to expired ZAISS 6.5?

I am running ZAISS 6.5 on an XP computer under an expired license so I am not getting AV definition updates or anti-spam. I have purchase a 3 computer license for ZAISS and have installed it on another computer. I want to extend the subscription on the expired computer _without_ having to reinstall right now. How can I use one of those licenses to extend the update service on the computer with the expired license?

Is it as simple as changing the license number on the expired computer? I haven't been able to find anything about this on the web site and just found that Zone Labs takes many days to respond to email queries.

Thanks,

Joe

Operating System:
    Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Message Edited by JoeM on 09-26-2007 04:20 PM

Default Re: Apply new license to expired ZAISS 6.5?

Open the ZA and where it shows the license, try the renew.
    But if you are only interested in one license and not three, renewal is not simple. It will want to renew the three user license.

You could just go to the store and purchase a new license. But renewals are usually discounted. Howvere the ZAISS is on sale now. Even for three user licenses.

You could try logging into your account. See:

https://www.zonealarm.com/store/application;jsessionid=G6pauNI11vKUk5GBkc38w0HZbjW l9QwkXx4lcXyH4QBVCRnlt4jU!1362162660!-1062696903!7551!7552!NONE?namespace=zls_user&origi n=global.jsp&event=link.login&dc=12bms&ctry=US&lan g=en

Or contact the customer support link listed below.

If the license is renewed, the old key will be re-activated. If it's a new key, then it should be entered manually into the ZA.

BUT if you renew, you are entitled to the latest releases and any further upgrades. So I would uninstall the older version using the clean uninstall (link below) and install the latest with your new key. The antivirus engine and it's updates are brand new and improved. The ZA version 6 antivirus will soon be no longer supported or updated with definitions.

Cheers,

Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 09-26-2007 07:32 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

joem Guest

Thanks for your reply, but I don't think you understood my situation. I probably was not clear.

I have one XP computer (XP-old) with ZAISS 6.5 and an expired subscription.

I have another XP computer (XP-new) with ZAISS 7.0.x and a current subscription. The ZAISS license running on that computer is a 3 computer license. I have not yet used either of the other 2 computer installs.

I wish to use one computer instance of the current 3 computer license on XP-old without having to reinstall ZAISS on XP-old. I do not want to pay for a renewal because I already have 2 install instances that I have paid for and have not yet used. How do I tell XP-old to use one of the unused instances in the current license to give XP-old a current subscription?

Thanks,

Joe

Oh Now I understand.
    Just enter the key in the remaining ZA. The same license is for the newer versions or the older versions. The license should take and be accepted.

If the license does not take, then follow the clean uninstall link below. That will not only uninstall the ZA but it will remove all traces of the previous license. Then re-install and enter the license when the license windows finally appear during the install process. The ZAISS installers can be downloaded from here if you need one.
    Cheers, Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

joem Guest

I entered the newer license number and it took (kept showing old license number until I restarted computer). Now shows correctly that I have over 6 months in subscription. Definition updates are behaving strangely, though.

The anti-spyware defs are downloading and installing with no problem. The AV virus defs seem to download, but not install. I repeat the manual definition update with varying results. Often the update progress window shows that both definition sets are up-to-date, but the ZA AV/AS page shows that the AV definitions only are out of date (red; does not show "Last update" date; shows update link next to the word definitions). Under "advanced options" the last update date shows 5/8/07 for the AV side (this was about when old subscription lapsed). I have gotten an "Update progress" status showing errors for the AV (sorry, I did not write down) side, but I cannot repeat that at the moment.

Is my installation hosed? Or is there something I can do to jumpstart the AV update mechanism?

Thanks,

Joe

There maybe a fix for the av problem in the Zone Alarm Antivirus Forum. Please post in that forum and just use this thread as a reference. Since I am not familiar with the specifics of the ZAISS antivirus.

However, you could try the /clean uninstall and reinstall once again and the ZASS should be okay after.It should catch the updates and function fine.
    If you wish, try this:

- If you wish to keep your settings, create a Backup from Overview -
    Preferences before starting, and then Restore afterwards.

- Click on Start -> Programs -> Zone Labs
    - RIGHT-click on Uninstall ZoneAlarm, then select Properties
    - Under Target you will see the following line (the actual drive may
    be different on your system):

"C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe"

Change it to:

"C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean /rmlicense

(add a space and then the /clean /rmlicense)

Open the Zone Alarm and disable the "Load Zone Alarm .. at startup" in the Preferences of the Overview. Then reboot.

-Return to the Uninstall ZoneAlarm in the Zone Labs of the All Programs
    - Click OK to run the uninstaller, and OK any security alerts that
    pop up.
    - say "Yes when being prompted for the removal of all files.
    - Reboot
    - maually remove these folders and clean the Recycle Bin:

WINDOWS\ Internet Logs

Program Files\Zone Labs

WINDOWS\system32\ Zonelabs

- install the latest version
    - re-enter license key"

You are entitled to the latest ZASS upgrade since the license is very valid. The version 6 used the CA or eTrust antivirus and the version 7 now uses the kaspersky engine and definitions. The downloads page for the ZAISS is here. I would suggest to use the latest ZAISS version, since it is more up to date (and has the latest antvirus scanner which many hold as superior).

The other possibility is a malware infection. If the PC was active with media and on line internet activity, perhaps malware sneaked in and it could be causing some issues. If you consider this a possibilty, then perhaps some online scanning should be considered. Use the IE (they use activeX) and turn off the full time AV scanner once at here and <em >here[/i]. Both sites will detect and remove any malicious files, that are found

Cheers, Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 09-27-2007 06:06 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information