Thread: Laptop won't log in after install of ZA Free - Vista

gorlaz Guest

Default Laptop won't log in after install of ZA Free - Vista

Hi,
    I've just installed ZA Free on a laptop with Vista installed on it.
    Install went fine, after the reboot I enter my login details the PC will sit at the 'Welcome' screen indefinitely (15+minutes). It won't get past the 'Welcome' screen no matter what I do.
    I've had to uninstall it via Safe Mode so I can actually use the laptop.
    Any one else come across this issue?

Operating System:Windows Vista Business
    Software Version:7.1 (Vista)
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

Default Re: Laptop won't log in after install of ZA Free - Vista

What AV are you using and was there a previous firewall installed and removed before the ZA install attempt?

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

gorlaz Guest

Trend Micro Officescan and Windows Firewall which was turned off prior to the install

I see the Trend Micro has web filtring and some "firewalling" capabilities.I have an important message at the end of this post. Please read this section of the post.

From the TrendMicro OfficeScan product description pdf:

Protects against Web-based malware, data theft, lost productivity,
    and reputation damage
    Blocks access to malicious Web sites based on reputation ratings
    Rates Web domains based on malware, spam, and spyware activity
    Provides real-time protection by referencing Trend Micro s database
    with millions of rated Web domains

It may well be the case the AV is interferring with the ZA installation.
    You maybe able to install the Zone Alarm with the TrendMicro disabled from starting up with windows and then rebooting. This should have the TrendMicros completely off and then the ZA maybe installed. I would install the ZA in the safe boot to make sure there is no interference. It should work, although I have no quarantees if it will work.

The there is the question of remmants of previous firewall and antiviruses. These remmants (files, drivers, registry keys, etc) could be causing conflicts.

However I must point out two important issues.
    First the ZA free is not to be used for business or commercial purposes. It is only for private or home users or individuals. Since you have a business antivirus I assume this is a laptop from work or business and the ZA free use is in violations of the terms as set by the Zone Alarm EULA.
    Secondly, the ZA installation may first have to be approved by the admin at your business or workplace. Unauthorized installations are usually a violation of the workplace policies and are often not tolerated. So ask you admin first if the ZA paid versions are allowed. It is better to have approval rather than disapprovals.

Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 09-27-2007 08:17 PM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

gorlaz Guest

Hi Oldsod,
    You are correct - it is a work laptop - I am trying to test Vista and ZA as we normally use ZA Pro on our laptops however as the Vista version of this hasn't been released yet I can't test with it directly. I also didn't want to run the security suite as it would interfere with our pre existing AV.
    The info you have referenced re web based malware for Trend is from the newer v8 I think and not the version we're running 7.3
    No other firewalls or AV products have been used on this PC ever.
    I will try disabling Trend and installing to see if that works.Thanks

Thread Information