Thread: Vista's Firewall and ZoneAlarm - Issues?

oldfart Guest

Default Vista's Firewall and ZoneAlarm - Issues?

We have a Vista home premium machine. Vista has some safety mechanisms on by default, which I find pretty irritating, mainly because you can't seem to tell it to remember that when you want to run program you've installed - you always want to run it (until you've changed or updated it, say).

However, this is not the main thing that is bothering me. More significantly, I'm wondering if there is a conflict between ZoneAlarm (ZASS - latest official Vista compatible version)and Vista's Firewall, such that they each stop the other from kicking in - say, when you are trying to install or uninstall a program, particularly uninstalling a program whose uninstaller invokes Windows Installer. You can wait for ever to get something to happen, before, eventually, Vista kicks in with the message that an unknown program wants to run, and do you want to let it? Whereupon, letting it run allows the uninstall to complete. I'd much rather ZA kicked in than Vista's firewall - but I'm reluctant to disable Vista's firewall (Can you do this? I haven't even investigated). With my XPProSP2 machine, my own copy of ZoneAlarm appears to disable the OS firewall by default, so no risk of conflicts. Should this have happened with Vista Home Premium, or not? Is there a known conflict?

Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version:7.1 (Vista)
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

oldfart Guest

Default Re: Vista's Firewall and ZoneAlarm - Issues?

Sorry to post twice - can't find 'edit' function. I note that our Vista firewall is, indeed, 'off' - that must have been done by ZASS, right? In which case, it can't be a conflict with Vista's firewall, or can it?

bannor Guest

OldFart
    The option to edit your posting is under the 'Thread Options' button (just under 'Search'). Sorry, I can't help you with Vista (only running XP).
    Bannor

oldfart Guest

Thanks Bannor.

The offending bit of Vista is User Accounts Control, not the firewall. But it is duplicating stuff I expect ZoneAlarm Program Control to do on my XP machine. And I think there is a conflict. Does anyone have any views on that?

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>Oldfart wrote:
    We have a Vista home premium machine. Vista has some safety mechanisms on by default, which I find pretty irritating, mainly because you can't seem to tell it to remember that when you want to run program you've installed - you always want to run it (until you've changed or updated it, say).

However, this is not the main thing that is bothering me. More significantly, I'm wondering if there is a conflict between ZoneAlarm (ZASS - latest official Vista compatible version)and Vista's Firewall, such that they each stop the other from kicking in - say, when you are trying to install or uninstall a program, particularly uninstalling a program whose uninstaller invokes Windows Installer. You can wait for ever to get something to happen, before, eventually, Vista kicks in with the message that an unknown program wants to run, and do you want to let it? Whereupon, letting it run allows the uninstall to complete. I'd much rather ZA kicked in than Vista's firewall - but I'm reluctant to disable Vista's firewall (Can you do this? I haven't even investigated). With my XPProSP2 machine, my own copy of ZoneAlarm appears to disable the OS firewall by default, so no risk of conflicts. Should this have happened with Vista Home Premium, or not? Is there a known conflict?

Operating System:Windows Vista Home Premium
    Software Version:7.1 (Vista)
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Here is some sage advice.. you will find this to be true with all Firewall programs..(Zone Alarm Turns off Windows Firewall by default)To Minimize Comflict between Security Programs..1.) you should ONLY run One Firewall at a time, otherwise they both fight each other for access and can't do the job they were installed to do..2.) you should ONLY run One Anti-Virus at a time, otherwise the same thing will happen, both conflict for access..---------------------------------------
    My Configuration:

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...4990GV_sig.jpg

ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.1.078.000
    TrueVector version:7.1.078.000
    Driver version:7.1.078.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:20071004015000
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.162.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200710.2555
    AntiSpam version:5.0.0.8843
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security