Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing ZoneAlarm in Virtual PC 2007 (problem solved)

southauspete Guest

Default Installing ZoneAlarm in Virtual PC 2007 (problem solved)

G'day all,After a frustrating day/night I finally have a solution.As there were no questions or solutions on this Forum I thought I would drop the answer here to save someone else the frustration.
    I had created a Virtual PC (VPC) with Windows XP SP2.I went to install Zone Alarm Security Suite (ZASS) 7 on it - problem - each time I tried it would just disappear almost immediately after there was a little bit of disk and inet activity. Nothing in the processes left that I could tell.I also tried with the ZA Free version thinking it might have been my file, also tried with an older version (as I am having trouble with the AntiVirus part of ZASS not connecting to get updates) - thought it might have been this version with trouble.
    Searching with Google found no similar example. Here on this forum was nothing either.Indications were that others were using VPC with ZA, they had other issues.
    Other programs were installing ok, so I tried lets of ideas.I tried installing as the Administrator (Right click and "Run As&quot. - no go(I didn't try logging in as Administrator - wonder why I didn't try that?)
    Finally found a solution.I tried installing with run as (Right click and "Run As&quot,then chose Current user (had tried this earlier)BUTUNTICKED the tick box under it"Protect my computer and data from unauthorised program activity"
    Success - it finally installed.
    Hope one day this might save someone else some time.
    I am pretty much a newbie with Virtual PC - so please forgive me from something which might have been completely obvious to everyone else - LOL
    CheersPeteH

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0

southauspete Guest

Default Re: Installing ZoneAlarm in Virtual PC 2007 (problem solved)

More Info.I have done further testing and found out more about it.
    I am
    unsure that the first message will solve the problem (certainly the problem is described there - so check it out)
    What I have found since is that if I copy the ZoneAlarm install file from the shared (on local host) file to the VPC system drive and install from there I am able to do so too.
    This worked several times - so may be the "real" answer.CheersPeteH

watcher Guest

Dear southauspete:

Thanks for posting this. I'm assuming both the guest and host operating systems were Windows XP Pro SP2. Did you map the shared folder on the host operating system as a drive on the guest operating system?

VPC 2007 works pretty good. It has its problems but, for a free program, it works pretty well. I use it for running various Windows O/S and Linux distros.

WATCHER

southauspete Guest

Thanks for posting this.A pleasure.I'm assuming both the guest and host operating systems were Windows XP Pro SP2.Yes - correct.Did you map the shared folder on the host operating system as a drive on the guest operating system?YesVPC 2007 works pretty good.Yep! as I have finally got over that hurdle I can see some great things to do with VPC.
    It has its problems but, for a free program, it works pretty well.Free - amazing.
    I use it for running various Windows O/S and Linux distros.Wow!One of the things I want it for is to test web sites in IE6, I must check out how to do it for Linux distro as that would be fantastic (rather than dedicate another PC somewhere).Could you point me to a good Tutorial on that please, if you have any references.thanksCheersPeteH

Tip with installing anything on VPC 2007, copy the install file to the virtual hard drive and run the install off there. I found running installers straight off the mapped drive is very problematic.

watcher Guest

Dear Jerusalem:

How did you copy the installer file to the .vhd file? I found I would either have to download it directly off the Internet to the VM while it was open and using a web browser from w/in the VM to do it. The other methods would be to use a CD-RW or floppy disk. USB floppy drives do not work, only internal ones.

WATCHER

watcher Guest

Dear southauspete:

No, I don't. Most Linux distros use Firefox and other less known web browsers but IE6 definitely is not to be found.

WATCHER

southauspete Guest

Thanks for the reply Watcher,
    I must be careful to not put two things on the one line, I can see how confusing it might be now that I look at it again (mind moving too quick).
    Basically, I started out with idea of using VPC to test web sites I design with IE6. (hard to have an accurate test of it in IE6 when you have already upgraded to IE7 - this gives that back to me again, without jumping through hoops on the host PC).
    but - in the mean time (now that I have it going) I am seeing all sorts of possibilities,such as mentioned here on this thread about hosting Linux within VPC.
    That was the second part of my message (about any tute's for hosting Linux inside VPC).
    I certainly don't expect to find IE6 in a Linux distro (the poor old "Penguins" out there would be having a heart attack).
    ThanksPeteH

southauspete Guest

Sorry to butt in on your QU to Jerusalem,(hi to both of you)
    I might be out of my depth here - as I can only speak of VPC in a Win XPP environment. (no Linux yet)but in Win;You can edit the VPC menu - settings (Right Alt + E) to point at a mapped drive (thier terminology is "shared folders&quotYou can have multiple ones too (which is great).
    This will give you access to your local drive(s) (whatever you set).where you can copy or load from.(If you want to keep this a permanent share - don't forget to tick the tick box "share every time&quot.Looks like you may be able to share a network drive too - I haven't tried it yet.
    So far - all things have loaded (run) from there when installing - the only exception has been ZoneAlarm.(I have been trying all apps that way - IF THEY ARE SMALL in file size)Anything a bit big - yep - I copy to a temp folder in my C: drive in the VPC.So far (and big caution here - this has worked).
    CheersPeteH

I download it in the real PC, copy to a software directory which is accessed via the special VPC 2007 mapped drive and then copy that file from the share to the Virtual Machine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information