Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade Issue?

aelwulf Guest

Default Upgrade Issue?

After having the free ZoneAlarm for years I finally decided to upgrade and went with the Security Suite.
    However since I've done so it seems whenever I start surfing the web (or opening programs in general for tha tmatter, mainly those that access the web) there is a considerable pause.
    Once it gets going things seem to be fine.
    I've noticed an svchost in Processes that's new that's been taking up a fair chunk of processing power now if not all of it at times but I'm not sure if it's related or not.
    Is this normal for this, especially with it on the Learn setting for the first 18 days?
    Should it iron out or should I be looking for fixes or perhaps just going with regular ZA Pro or back to the free version?
    I upgraded so I could manually input ports to try and further troubleshoot connections when playing Battlefield games online.
    I've tried doing an uninstall/reinstall using the /clean method I found somewhere on the Zone Labs site.
    I was running AVG for Anti-virus but disabled it (ie, shut it off) for now since it's jus tthe
    free version.
    I also have Aluria Security Center for Spyware but have had it for quite some time with the free ZA version with no problems.
    Tried shutting Aluria down just in case and it didn't change anything.
    AMD 2.2GHz CPU2GB RAM300+ GB of drive space

Operating System:
    Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.408.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.408.000
    Driver version:7.0.408.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:20071024215000
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.187.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200710.2685
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903

Message Edited by Aelwulf on 10-24-2007 11:38 PM

mformica Guest

Default Re: Upgrade Issue?

I noticed this also with the latest build of ZA Free.
    I had to revert back to a previous version to eliminate the problem.
    Boot up time was extended by about one full minute.
    Opening Applications took up to three times longer. A-Squared scan was taking over 24 hours!!.
    Process Explorer showed excessive System usage eating up CPU cycles like mad.
    Context switches were extremely high.
    Disabling/Shutting Down ZA had no effect.
    However starting in Safe Mode resolved the issue.
    Had to completely uninstall to get things back to normal.
    I am am now using version 6.5.337 without any system slowdown.
    I suspect that Vista is
    at the root of
    these previously stable application problems
    for us XP owners.
    I suspect more and more are going to avoid extensive testing on XP for these "updated" versions.
    I also
    experienced repeated BSOD on my system as a result of the latest build of AVG Free
    earlier this week.
    System Restore with no
    "Recommeded/Optional" updates to AVG
    resolved those problems as well.
    I suggest sticking with a stable build
    disabling the Automatic Updates in the preferences.
    However, since you are paying for your version, you should have Support get to the bottom of the problem and fix it.

aelwulf Guest

Thanks for the info. I'll see about maybe getting a hold of that earlier version and giving it a shot.

mformica Guest

aelwulf Guest

Thanks again. I couldn't find a 6.5.337 but there is a 737 so figure that might be the one.
    I'll give it a shot either way.

mformica Guest

My Bad.
    You are correct.
    I am using 6.5.737

aelwulf Guest

Np. It did seem to help some, initial response is up.
    I do still have an annoying svchost issue but I don't quite think thats ZA related. :/

mformica Guest

Try using this to daignose your problem.
    It will tell you what processes within the svchost are consuming resources and you can turn them off in your services.msc
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...sexplorer.mspx

aelwulf Guest

Hrm, useful tool.
    Apparently the only thing the trouble spot svchost is used for is the DNS Cache.
    Every time I click a link without terminating that svchost my CPU spikes through the roof.
    Unfortunately from the sounds of things I can't just delete that but I may be able to adjust it in the registry.
    And as suspected I think this was caused by System Mechanic 7's 'Internet Optimization' function or another rather than ZA.
    I got it packaged with ZA but so far it's been quite the POS program.
    I found a page listing the default pos/neg times,
    mine was completely missing the positive entry.
    The negative was set to 0 which in theory should be fine but for now setting it back to the default of 300.
    Hopefully it'll be this 'simple'.

Edit: Nope, that wasn't it.
    It's still doing so and does it with programs too, not just surfing. :/ Looking like I might have to rollback a few days.

Message Edited by Aelwulf on 10-27-2007 02:13 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>Aelwulf wrote:
    After having the free ZoneAlarm for years I finally decided to upgrade and went with the Security Suite. However since I've done so it seems whenever I start surfing the web (or opening programs in general for tha tmatter, mainly those that access the web) there is a considerable pause. Once it gets going things seem to be fine. I've noticed an svchost in Processes that's new that's been taking up a fair chunk of processing power now if not all of it at times but I'm not sure if it's related or not. Is this normal for this, especially with it on the Learn setting for the first 18 days? Should it iron out or should I be looking for fixes or perhaps just going with regular ZA Pro or back to the free version? I upgraded so I could manually input ports to try and further troubleshoot connections when playing Battlefield games online.I've tried doing an uninstall/reinstall using the /clean method I found somewhere on the Zone Labs site. I was running AVG for Anti-virus but disabled it (ie, shut it off) for now since it's jus tthefree version. I also have Aluria Security Center for Spyware but have had it for quite some time with the free ZA version with no problems. Tried shutting Aluria down just in case and it didn't change anything.AMD 2.2GHz CPU2GB RAM300+ GB of drive space

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.408.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.408.000
    Driver version:7.0.408.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:20071024215000
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.187.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200710.2685
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903

Message Edited by Aelwulf on 10-24-2007 11:38 PM
    <HR>Please read the Following Forum link from the Helpful Links and tips section..
    </BLOCKQUOTE>
    GeorgeV
    ZoneAlarm® Extreme Security

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday__ 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information