Thread: Uninstall/clean uninstall before updating "somewhat old" version

mcttrek Guest

Default Uninstall/clean uninstall before updating "somewhat old" version

I'm wondering if generally there is a "limit" to how many versions one can "skip" when updating to the newest version of ZA free, without running into problems? In other words, could there be problems with simply clicking "yes" to the prompt to update automatically my existing version to the latest version, if my version is a bit older (6.0.667) than the newest version I'd like to install (7.0.408)?

My machine runs:
    XP home SP 2 + recommended updates (machine purchased February '04)
    AVG Free Anti-virus
    Spybot free S&D
    Adaware free
    Mozilla Firefox

Many thanks.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

watcher Guest

Default Re: Uninstall/clean uninstall before updating "somewhat old" version

Dear MCTrek:

I doubt that anyone other than the developers of the software could tell you that with any assurance. To be safe, I would recommend that you uninstall the previous version first and then install the new version. No matter which version you use, this seems to be the best method.

Hope this helps.

WATCHER

mcttrek Guest

Thanks, Watcher.
    If I can follow up on my question:
    I've had troubles successfully installing more recent versions of ZA free (7.0.408, 7.0.337, 7.0.362).
    With each version, I'll get the message "Zone alarm client has encountered a problem and needs to close. If you were in the middle of working on something...etc." on bootup.
    I've been using ZA free 6.0.667, which I'd be happy to continue running since it seems to work with no problems.
    I'm concerned about vulnerabilities it may have that newer versions have addressed.
    Thoughts?

Thank you.

watcher Guest

Dear MCTTrek:

I use ZAPRO not ZAfree. That said, any version where there was an installation problem, and the user uninstalled, probably left some files on the computer which could be causing the problem. Check and delete any remaining files/subfolders found in these locations and the folder itself:

C:\Program Files\Zone Labs(default install location, may be in custom install folder if you chose that during installation)
    C:\WINDOWS\Internet Logs
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Zone Labs

In the Registry, delete these bolded entries:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Zone Labs-delete this subkey

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run-find the entry in the right pane called, ZoneAlarm Client, and delete it.

If you don't find all of these, that's a good thing. It means that whatever operation you performed removed them already. Now reboot and try to reinstall.

Hope this helps.

WATCHER

Thread Information