Thread: stub installers considered harmful

Hybrid View

zonie_user Guest

Default stub installers considered harmful

So historically, I have always "upgraded" ZA by downloading the latest version of the installer, and installing it. This leaves me with an installation file that can be used to reinstall ZA offline before connecting it to the internet, when I have to replace a hard drive, or reinstall Windows for other reasons (and there have been many too many hard drives fail over the years, and many too many reinstalls of Windows). It is also handy to download it once, and install it both on my desktop, and my wife's laptop, rather than download it twice.

However, the recent version of the ZA installer seems to be a stub installer that has to have access to the internet to, behind the scenes, download the real installer, run it, and then delete it, so that it is _not_ available for future off-line reinstalls.

Did I miss a place on the web site where I can download the full installer?

Or is this a philosophical change to ZA that prevents it from being used for off-line installs? If so, what justification is there to forcing potential users to get on-line without protection?

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

Default Re: stub installers considered harmful

zonie_user Guest

Nice, and thanks. That's not obviously findable from the top of the site, though. At least, I've never found it, but then I never was looking for "release history" either.

You're welcome

Thread Information