Thread: ZAISS Version 7.0 Upgrade to 462 from 408 - Warning: Security Settings not Completely Preserved!

stripeman Guest

Default ZAISS Version 7.0 Upgrade to 462 from 408 - Warning: Security Settings not Completely Preserved!

Greetings,
    Just upgraded from ZAISS 7.0.408.000 to 7.0.462.000, per the pop-up from ZoneAlarm.

The previous security settings were not completely preserved.
    This happened in spite of the "advice" of the installer program.
    It is strongly suggested that settings be backed-up (Overview
    ->
    Preferences) prior to performing the upgrade and then, if necessary,
    restored upon completion.
    Do not depend on the installer program to accomplish the preservation of security settings correctly.

While I cannot say that this problem is pervasive, I can say that if it happens to one of us in can happen to others.
    Fore-warned is fore-armed!!
    Otherwise, the upgrade appears to have gone smoothly.
    I'll know for sure after a couple of weeks' usage ....

Regards,Stripeman
    Signatures:<blockquote>ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:7.0.462.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.462.000
    Driver version:7.0.462.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3
    Anti-virus SDK version:5.0.1.82
    Anti-virus signature DAT file version:915051681
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.187.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200711.2925
    AntiSpam version:5.0.6.8903</blockquote>

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

ikrananka Guest

Default Re: ZAISS Version 7.0 Upgrade to 462 from 408 - Warning: Security Settings not Completely Preserved!

Same thing happended to me - although I have lost ALL of my previous security settings.
    Technical supports response is rather short and disheartening as it offers no help:
    &quot;Thank you for your response. Unfortunately the file has to be made from a backup of the za files themselves. I apologize for the inconvenience.&quot;
    Moral of this tale is to perform a manual backup of settings as suggested by Stripeman before ANY upgrade.

pickyperson Guest

Default Re: ZAISS Version 7.0 Upgrade to 462 from 408 - Warning: Security Settings not Completely Preserved!

Yes, it has just happened to me too.
    I have lost all of my settings for programs in Program Control and all of my Zone settings in Firewall.
    Not only that, but after I re-started my computer to complete the upgrade, ZA opened with Antivirus and IM Protection turned off.
    Not friendly, when I had specified an Upgrade not Clean Install.
    It's too late to do anything about it by the time you discover the problem (because the settings have gone).
    I shall complain to ZA, and I suggest that anyone else suffering this does the same, so that they sort the problem ASAP and minimise the number of other people who go through this.
    Using XP Home SP2 plus all updatesNo other security programs except Spybot Search &amp; DestroyWindows Firewall is OFFUpgraded ZA Security Suite from 7.0.337 to 7.0.462

East Coast of Florida - Lightening/Shark Bite Capital of the World

Hi,PLEASE contact Tech Support and see what they say about this issue and if you would PLEASE post back with their answer they give you, THANKS.You need to contact Tech Support at

www.zonelabs.com/tsform

SlyFox
    "Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

Click here for ZA Support

Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

5. stripeman Guest

Greetings,
    Have already contacted ZA TS and am now awaiting their reply ....
    Will copy 'n paste it
    in this thread upon receipt ....
    Regards,Stripeman

Message Edited by Stripeman on 11-30-2007 12:34 PM

stripeman Guest

Greetings,
    Per the discussion in the above two posts, here is ZA TS reply:<blockquote>

Hello,

We apologize for the upgrade problem you encountered with your security
    setting not being saved.

Our experience with exhaustive testing during our long beta cycle for this
    version is that security setting were preserved with no issue upon
    upgrading.

We will pass your comments and concerns on to our developers for
    consideration during the next beta.

Best regards
    ZoneAlarm
    Technical support.</blockquote>

And here is my reply to their reply:<blockquote>

Hello,

Thanks for the reply and the information ....

Yes, please pass it on to the developers.
    I am
    not alone with this
    phenomenon.
    At least two others have reported the same problem in the
    (warning) thread I initiated in the User Community Forum.
    Such items as AV
    scan turned off (when the setting was saved as on), missing zone settings
    in the firewall, number of user messages set to various powers of 2
    (including 0) in advanced settings for the people allowed junk e-mail filter,

are some examples.

Hope this helps ....

Regards,</blockquote>

Regards,

Stripeman

nisdisliker Guest

Also happened to me on 2 separate machines choosing the &quot;upgrade&quot; option. On both machines, privacy controls were turned off, and the site list was replaced with a new one that included doubleclick (didn't capture the list, but looked the same on both systems). Also on both machines, some of the programs in my program control list were either added or modified to allow &quot;access&quot; or &quot;server&quot; rights (I'm very restrictive about which programs have those rights). One machine's anti-virus and anti-spyware were disabled after upgrade. The one machine that had e-mail protection enabled prior to upgrade was disabled afterwards. The other machine that had Identity Protection and Parental Control were both disabled after upgrade, and the contents of myVAULT were emptied.
    To be blunt, this upgrade process **bleep**ed, and ZoneAlarm should consider this the highest priority to fix, and fix it! Afterall, they are a security company and this is a security product. I work on a software product, and I can guarantee you that if customers were reporting this type of security vulnerability in our product, we'd be working on a patch. Yes, this is a serious security bug - this upgrade left me vulnerable to malware and potential identity theft. They really need to work on improving their &quot;exhaustive
    testing&quot; and their response to these types of security bugs - simply passing this on to the development team for consideration next time is the wrong answer. Even though I very much dislike the Symantec products, I never had this type of problem over the 5 years I used their products. I'm not sure I can count on ZoneAlarm as the replacement I'd hoped for.

Thread Information