Thread: New version download and install-windows XP hangs

curleyk Guest

Default New version download and install-windows XP hangs

I use latest version offirefox and I had theauto download message appear(sorryIamworking onmuyoldbroken computer right now-keybord **bleep**s) Iclickedthe downladnow and let the latest version install. It installed and then asked
    to re start . Iclicked yes and it got hung on the windowsXP screen-never had that happen before.I triedtore start withon/off button
    (I have adellxpsworkstation) anditdid the
    samething
    I tried systemrestore
    to yesterday andit stillhangs.Idon'tknow what is wrong or what to do and I have to have my computer
    backonline before I leave forbusiness tomorrow.Thankskcc

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Software Version:7.0
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

Default Re: New version download and install-windows XP hangs

Start the PC and at the DELL screen just keep tapping the F8 key. It will aks for the safe mode and give you a safe mode menu choice.
    Select the "Last known good configuration" option and continue. You may have to stop the PC and restart.

If that still fails, then try a Repair Installation.

It is possible some hardware is failing (harddrivedisk or other such as graphics card,etc or a possible virus) on the PC. Or some drivers are outdated and need updating. One of these is more than likely the cause of the problem.

Best regards, Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 12-02-2007 05:13 AM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

ljswales Guest

My problem with this new release 70_462_000_en is that it installs fine but whenever I insert a rewritable DVD into my Pioneer DVR-111 do anything to it and then using Explorer to Eject the DVD as soon as the draw opens the computer crashes. I use True Image and always do regular backups, since this install I have installed other software updates so I was unsure as to what was causing the problem. So after many reloads and installing each update individually I was able to isolate it to this upgrade.

I have just down loaded the previous update release 70_408_000_en and will check this version.

I will also check if there are any updates for my DVD writer.

Ok

Lionel

<blockquote><hr>ljswales wrote:
    My problem with this new release 70_462_000_en is that it installs fine but whenever I insert a rewritable DVD into my Pioneer DVR-111 do anything to it and then using Explorer to Eject the DVD as soon as the draw opens the computer crashes. I use True Image and always do regular backups, since this install I have installed other software updates so I was unsure as to what was causing the problem. So after many reloads and installing each update individually I was able to isolate it to this upgrade.

I have just down loaded the previous update release 70_408_000_en and will check this version.

I will also check if there are any updates for my DVD writer.

Ok

Lionel
    <hr></blockquote>

Hi

You could try the "Corrupt ZA Logs" link below in my signature and see if the ZA databse reset helps. It often does.
    Cheers, Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

curleyk Guest

Sadly, I tried everything including the manual rip of ZA, and then reinstalled 7.0.337 which had been running fine-I then got a bunch of major OS conflicts and then BSD with &quot;unknown hard error&quot; message. I ripped ZA out again-including registry entries and went and put in Norton 2008 AV and firewall. I am sorry-I loved using ZA but I can't spend 9 hours watching it do the same thing to my machine over and over-there must be some software I have that it doesn't like but then why would I have not had problems before I installed the update???

"unknown hard error" usually implies a bad driver or out of date driver. Doing a driver update for everything or reinstall drivers the for ones that have no updates will fix.

"unknown hard error" can mean a bad .dll or corrupted windows file. Usually a system file check or a new install of windows will fix that. Sometimes a repair install may fix, but that is a poor choice for a fix.

"unknown hard error" can mean something is using a .dll while something else is trying to use that dll.. That is part of the windows .dll issue- .dll are not properly shared between software and something needs that .dll and is stuck wating till it is too late. Often referrred as windows DLL *(four letteredwordmeaninginfernoorhomeresidenceofsupreme evildeity)*

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information